Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MkIII tail wheel weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: MkIII tail wheel weight Reply with quote

Ron,

Your request for a "maximum tailwheel weight" seems to be missing the point, I would think. If memory serves me (and it still does, mostly), you are using the GEO 4 cyl. engine. Let's say, for the sake of argument, it weighs 220 lbs. so that (mounted in the optimum position), the tailwheel would reflect a specific "weight" for only that engine. Now, let's say we take off that 220 lbs engine for something that weighs ....let's say 180 lbs. (like my GEO 3 cyl.), then the tailwheel will reflect a completely different weight.

It would seems to me you would want to take the "weight and balance information" and establish EXACTLY where you want the center of gravity to be, and then mount the engine that produces that result. You could make up a quicky cheapo mount that just holds the engine firmly in place long enough to make calculations. Move it a few times, and when you're happy....voila'!!! Once you've aquired the precise spot that establishes the optimal weight and balance point, THEN build your "high-speed super dooper motor mount.......knowing it sets where the engine belongs...not where it matches the weight on the tailwheel of someone else's rig.

In other words....tailwheel weight is engine specific.

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong. I have been before.

Mike Welch.....taking a Poly Fiber break at the moment. (with no photos) (Ron know's what I mean)

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: MkIII tail wheel weight Reply with quote

Hi Mike
In general I think you are right, I was trying to get a ball park figure, there is of course a ratio that I can use even if the motor weight is different. For example if the rear wheel weight is 25% of what the main wheels on your Kolb (standard configuration gear) and the craft is in CG from that I can pretty much figure that 25% aft wheel will give me a good cg on my Kolb.
There just so much I can do do with my Kolb right now. I got 3 pages of CG calculations, which are nothing more than best guesses at this stage... . What I have done today is place the motor about as mid position on the rail mount with the RDU still sticking out far enough for the prop to thrush about in clear air. The SPG-2 has a long snout so I am guessing that it will all work out, and if not than the tools will come out and I will do some more tooling. Smile

---- Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

Ron,

Your request for a "maximum tailwheel weight" seems to be missing the point, I would think. If memory serves me (and it still does, mostly), you are using the GEO 4 cyl. engine. Let's say, for the sake of argument, it weighs 220 lbs. so that (mounted in the optimum position), the tailwheel would reflect a specific "weight" for only that engine. Now, let's say we take off that 220 lbs engine for something that weighs ....let's say 180 lbs. (like my GEO 3 cyl.), then the tailwheel will reflect a completely different weight.

It would seems to me you would want to take the "weight and balance information" and establish EXACTLY where you want the center of gravity to be, and then mount the engine that produces that result. You could make up a quicky cheapo mount that just holds the engine firmly in place long enough to make calculations. Move it a few times, and when you're happy....voila'!!! Once you've aquired the precise spot that establishes the optimal weight and balance point, THEN build your "high-speed super dooper motor mount.......knowing it sets where the engine belongs...not where it matches the weight on the tailwheel of someone else's rig.

In other words....tailwheel weight is engine specific.

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong. I have been before.

Mike Welch.....taking a Poly Fiber break at the moment. (with no photos) (Ron know's what I mean)

--
kugelair.com

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: