Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you like your FireFly?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
> Probably have too much incidence right wing, or not enough in the left wing.

Ailerons can be dropped a tad to correct the nose up pitch trim.

Call Kolb and get a new adjustable universal for the drag strut attachment.
Then you can adjust incidence to correct your roll problem.

john h
mkIII

Thanks for the tip on the adjustable universal. Would I get one for one side, or two for both sides? If one, does it matter what side I put it on?

As for the flaperons, if I go to the middle flap position pitch is trimmed nicely. But then I loose 3mph of cruise speed because the flaps are no longer reflexed.

If I slow to 45 mph IAS, it will fly hands off. But that is just above stall speed. I would rather cruise at 50 or 55.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

> As for the flaperons, if I go to the middle flap position pitch is
trimmed nicely. But then I loose 3mph of cruise speed because the flaps are
no longer reflexed.
Quote:

If I slow to 45 mph IAS, it will fly hands off. But that is just above
stall speed. I would rather cruise at 50 or 55.

--------
Jim

Jim:

Only require one universal. Doesn't matter which side you use it on, but if
it were mine, I'd check the side with the least incidence and put the
universal on the opposite side to match it up. Homer designed a lot of
incidence in the wings to get the airplane on and off the ground in a rather
level pitch attitude. This also makes the tail fly higher, increasing drag
by dragging the tail boom through the air at an angle, rather than straight
and level. Wish I would go to the trouble to reduce incidence in my mkIII,
but with the windshield and other stuff, would be more trouble than it would
be worth.

Maybe you can adjust a little of the reflex out to bring the pitch trim back
into line without losing a lot of cruise. I would think so.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

[quote="jim"]
John Hauck wrote:

As for the flaperons, if I go to the middle flap position pitch is trimmed nicely. But then I loose 3mph of cruise speed because the flaps are no longer reflexed.

If I slow to 45 mph IAS, it will fly hands off. But that is just above stall speed. I would rather cruise at 50 or 55.

Jim,

Given some of the things you have posted, I can tell that you have your plane set up very badly. John H was right about the 503 not causing your trim problems, that is just not going to happen. If think about it for a minute, how much torque difference is there between the 503 and the 447, maybe 15 % , and there is NO torque difference when you are in normal cruise flight. Using the English style U-Joint on the wing will fix your turning problem very well.

As far as the pitch trim problem, trying to correct it by adjusting the ailerons is definitely the wrong way to do it. From what you posted, you are trying to use your ailerons like elevons, by reflexing them up and pushing the tail down. The problem is, the Kolb is not a flying wing, and trying to rig it as such is very inefficient and causes very poor performance.

I'm going to use general round numbers here to make it easy to understand the concept, they will defiantly not be accurate for the firefly. Lets say you need 10 pounds more down force to be produced by the elevator to maintain level flight at cruise with zero stick pressure, you can get that by several means. First is constantly pulling on the stick, but wears your arm out after a while. Second you can put a trim tab on the elevator which will hold it for you, works very well... Or you can even adjust the front atach point of the horizonatl stab, also works very well, but its hard to do, and even harder to fine tune. Each of these methods would produce the extra 10 pounds of downforce needed for level flight.

The worst way you could put an extra 10 pounds downforce on the tail is by reflexing the ailerons. Lets say your tail is 12 feet back from the center of lift of the wing, and your ailerons are 3 feet behind the center of lift. To produce the same tail down force, you will need to generate 4 times the down force with the ailerons then with the tail due to the shorter lever arm moment, so you are generating 40 pounds of downforce at the ailerons instead of the 10 pounds at the much more efficient level arm moment of the tail. So you have created a lot more drag generating 30 pounds of additinal down force instead of the 10 needed at the tail. To make matters worse, the wings have to create additional lift make up for this huge amount of downforce being generated by the ailerons. You have put 40 pounds extra load on the wings instead of the 10 that should have been put on from the tail, so in effect made your plane 30 pounds heavier without adding any additional weight.

To top things off, reflexed ailerons are called SPOILERONS, and they do exactly what their name says, they act to kill the lift from the wing. That explains your very high stall speed, poor climb, and general bad performance of your firefly even with a larger engine. Fixing these probelms the correct way is not difficult, and you will love they way your new airplane flys.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Jim,

I just re-read what you posted, and it seems you have a pitch up problem instead of pitch down. The same thing still holds true, fix it at the tail, not on the wings. A trim tab to pitch down is by far the best way to make the plane fly level. Adjust the ailerons where they are most efficient, and don't raise your stall speed so much.

If you look at properly rigged, certified airplanes, there is not a one on the planet that cruises around with reflexed ailerons, that is a very bad thing.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

I disagree with your analysis and conclusions.
Reflexing the ailerons changes the shape of the airfoil and moves the
center of pressure of the airfoil forward. Results are the same as
making the airplane more tail heavy. Conversely, lowering the ailerons
(or the flaps) moves the center of pressure of the airfoil aft, making
the airplane effectively more nose heavy. That is what changes the
elevator trim pressure, rather than the ailerons pushing the tail up or
down as if they were elevators. Obviously there are definite limits to
how much the ailerons (or flaps) ought to be reflexed, as the point of
diminishing returns happens very quickly, it doesn't take much reflex to
make the airfoil inefficient.

I have played with this on my MKIII, as the flap handle mod allows the
flaps to be adjusted up or down in 1/2" increments around the normal up
position. Testing is easy, establish cruise speed at a given power
setting and then ease the flaps up or down a 1/2" either way and see
what happens to the speed vs. the stick pressure. Speed and rpm stay
virtually constant, only the stick pressure changes.
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

As far as the pitch trim problem, trying to correct it by adjusting the ailerons is definitely the wrong way to do it. From what you posted, you are trying to use your ailerons like elevons, by reflexing them up and pushing the tail down. The problem is, the Kolb is not a flying wing, and trying to rig it as such is very inefficient and causes very poor performance.

I'm going to use general round numbers here to make it easy to understand the concept, they will defiantly not be accurate for the firefly. Lets say you need 10 pounds more down force to be produced by the elevator to maintain level flight at cruise with zero stick pressure, you can get that by several means. First is constantly pulling on the stick, but wears your arm out after a while. Second you can put a trim tab on the elevator which will hold it for you, works very well... Or you can even adjust the front atach point of the horizonatl stab, also works very well, but its hard to do, and even harder to fine tune. Each of these methods would produce the extra 10 pounds of downforce needed for level flight.

The worst way you could put an extra 10 pounds downforce on the tail is by reflexing the ailerons. Lets say your tail is 12 feet back from the center of lift of the wing, and your ailerons are 3 feet behind the center of lift. To produce the same tail down force, you will need to generate 4 times the down force with the ailerons then with the tail due to the shorter lever arm moment, so you are generating 40 pounds of downforce at the ailerons instead of the 10 pounds at the much more efficient level arm moment of the tail. So you have created a lot more drag generating 30 pounds of additinal down force instead of the 10 needed at the tail. To make matters worse, the wings have to create additional lift make up for this huge amount of downforce being generated by the ailerons. You have put 40 pounds extra load on the wings instead of the 10 that should have been put on from the tail, so in effect made your plane 30 pounds heavier without adding any additional weight!

To top things off, reflexed ailerons are called SPOILERONS, and they do exactly what their name says, they act to kill the lift from the wing. That explains your very high stall speed, poor climb, and general bad performance of your firefly even with a larger engine. Fixing these probelms the correct way is not difficult, and you will love they way your new airplane flys.

Mike

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=154048#154048

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Is the Universal designed to either increase or decrease incidence over the standard, or will it only decrease angle of incidence? I am wondering if I should increase the angle of incidence on the port (left) side. It would seem that might also increase the nose down pitch slightly.

Last winter I replaced the boom tube on my Firefly to correct damage caused by the previous owner. At that time I did elect to move the forward attach point on the horiz stab up about 3/4 inch. This did reduce the down elevator required to hold straight and level, but not as much as I would like.

It is my understanding that the Firefly is designed to have reflex flaps. When the flaperons are up a few degrees from the neutral position in cruise, speed at a given power setting is increased. The Maule (with the fat Clark Y airfoil) uses this technique to increase cruise speed 5mph.

I will definitely get a swivel for my Firefly.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
Jim

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Good catch on the Maule, I looked into that today and they do reflex thier flaps slightly (only a few degrees) to increase cruise, but not to adjust flight trim. But the maules are cruising at 140 MPH, there is a speed below which they say the reflex does not help, and definately for takeoff and landing. I dont know if the firefly will ever get fast enough to need reflex flaps, anyways Kolb says to adjust the flaps on the MK III to flat with the bottom of the wing, and that is where it works best for my MK III Xtra. I did experiment with reflexing flaps and ailerons quite a bit on my plane, but it just increased the stall speed, and did not fly as nice. As Richard says, its easy to play with and see what results you like.

The adjustable wing brackets adjust both ways on the MK III, up or down. Decreasing the wing incidence will make your plane pitch down more.

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

It just so happens I happen to have an extra English U joint if you want it.

I bought two for my Firestar II after I powder coated my cage and found out the wing incidence had changed. Turns out I only need one U joint to trim out the plane.

I powder coated them black because thats the color the powder coating guy was running at the time. You can lightly sand the coating and paint to match your airframe.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Best Regards
Carlos Grageda
grageda(at)innw.net

English U-Joint.jpg
 Description:
English ujoint installed
 Filesize:  162.56 KB
 Viewed:  513 Time(s)

English U-Joint.jpg

jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Baron -- Thanks. I've sent an email off-list.

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Mike,

All of this has to do with your view point and frame of mind. But if you
look at the wing and power loading of light GA aircraft, you will find
examples and data that can be applied to the Kolb designs. My first flight
was in my uncle's Aeronca Champ 7A, and my brother flew a Piper Cub C-3.
Over the years about 10,000 Champs and 20,000 Cubs were produced. I consider
these two as bench mark GA aircraft and the number of pilots who were
trained in them must at least in the six figure region.

The gross weight power loading is:

Cub 18.75 lbs/hp
Champ 18.77 lbs/hp

The gross weight wing loading is:

Cub 6.84 lbs/sq ft
Champ 7.18 lbs/sq ft
FireFly 4.27 lbs/sq ft (500/117}

Dividing the FireFly gross weight by 18.76 indicates that the FireFly will
match their power loading with only 26.7 hp. In comparison anything below
this may be considered under powered or substandard. With 27 hp the FireFly
will out climb the Champ or Cub by at least 38%. This indicates that it is
not necessarily power but wing loading that is the most important factor
when it comes to an engine out. Just ask any glider pilot.

Fly smart and safe.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN
At 06:11 PM 12/21/07 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
As far as engine, I would put a 503 on it, much more reliable an better
than the 447. As far as some that say its overpowered, those are guys that

have small engines and try to convince themselves that they made the correct
choice by having a small, sub standard engine... Nothing says you need to
fly around at high power all the time, but lots of power is a really great
thing to have when you need it. More power is also safer, will get you out
of trouble when you need it, you will get off the ground quicker, and on
takeoff you will also be a lot higher at the end of runway.. If the engine
quits on takeoff, you will have several hundred feet more altitude then they
poor guy with the small, very light engine.
Quote:

.............The only people I ever hear talk about some planes "having to
much power" are pilots of doggy, sluggish airplanes that are trying to

convince themselves that a lack of power is a good thing.
Quote:

Dave Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Firefly with a 503. I haven't flown one with a 447, but my airplane always wants to pitch up and fly left (left wing very heavy). This is because of the extra weight and torque of the 503. The trim tab on the left aileron is already full up.

I expected the 503 to climb out at 1500 fpm but it's more like 1000 fpm from my home field (2500 msl).

If I were to buy or build another Firefly, I would definitely use the 447. I think the only thing I would miss on the 503 is the oil injection.

To be 103 legal in the Firefly, you are limited to 2-bladed wood prop,small wheels, no brakes, no or limited gages, 1 coat of paint, short windscreen.

I have the short windscreen. It is very wind. I actually think it would be better to take it off completely. The short windshield seems to put all the turbulent air right at head.

Mine has the gap seal removed (between wings). I am 6-01 and if it were there, I think my head wouldn't fit in the airplane.

Virtually all modern sailplanes have flap/aileron interconnects that result in the ailerons being at the same angle to the wing as the flaps. When you move the ailerons, the flaps move right along with the ailerons Negative flaps (whole flap/aileron system up) are used to change the wing camber to a more efficient shape for high speed flight. I don't notice much trim change when going between positive and negative flaps, but do notice a somewhat reduced roll rate with negative flaps. I don't believe trimming the ailerons up and down is a very efficient way to pitch trim a conventional aircraft. It does work well with a flying wing.

Jim,
With your aircraft being tail heavy, you should first do a weight and balance to check that the CG is within the recommended range. Aft CG out of the proper range is dangerous. If the CG is not out of limits, the most efficient (from a drag standpoint) way to trim it is to raise the front of the horizontal stabilizer a bit.

You are degrading the efficiency of the wing by flying the aircraft without a gap cover. Minimally, at least the top surface of the gap should be covered. You might see that 1500 feet per minute rate of climb you expected with a gap cover in place.

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/24/2007 7:11:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Kolb says to adjust the flaps on the MK III to flat with the bottom of the wing,

Make sure that when you measure this parameter that you are holding pressure under each aileron to take the slack out, Also

Mike, keep in mind that the Kolb airfoil is not like most airfoils. It is Homer's own Homebrewed shape. It has it's own personality, which is what most Kolb Pilots appreciate.
I found on my Firefly that very minor changes in the aileron give significant trim change. It is also different than your MkIIIX in that it tends to have almost no trim change from Splash Off to Splash On.
Steve B
Firefly 007/Floats
do not archive

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
[quote][b]

ulflyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Dave,
You may need to adjust the alignment of your engine to compensate for
the torque factor it produces - how's it do on pitch when your at
cruise power, do you have to hold back stick or forward pressure - if
you have had to add a major trim tag to your elevator to compensate
for stick forces for nose up or nose heavy condition you might want
to adjust the engines angle front to rear by shinning using large
fender washers. I recall which way it has to be changed for each,
got to think on that a bit - had to do that on my Hawk. Ya, I some
what agree with you about the short windscreen - it seems like it
directs it right at your face and throat area. We applied silver to
top and bottom of the wings and extra coat to top of all surfaces -
you probably will not apply the top coat to the point of getting the
glossy look if your trying to make the weight.
jerb
At 08:11 PM 12/25/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

> I have a Firefly with a 503. I haven't flown one with a 447, but
my airplane always wants to pitch up and fly left (left wing very
heavy). This is because of the extra weight and torque of the 503.
The trim tab on the left aileron is already full up.
>
> I expected the 503 to climb out at 1500 fpm but it's more like
1000 fpm from my home field (2500 msl).
>
> If I were to buy or build another Firefly, I would definitely use
the 447. I think the only thing I would miss on the 503 is the oil injection.
>
> To be 103 legal in the Firefly, you are limited to 2-bladed wood
prop,small wheels, no brakes, no or limited gages, 1 coat of paint,
short windscreen.
>
> I have the short windscreen. It is very wind. I actually think it
would be better to take it off completely. The short windshield
seems to put all the turbulent air right at head.
>
> Mine has the gap seal removed (between wings). I am 6-01 and if
it were there, I think my head wouldn't fit in the airplane.

Virtually all modern sailplanes have flap/aileron interconnects that
result in the ailerons being at the same angle to the wing as the
flaps. When you move the ailerons, the flaps move right along with
the ailerons Negative flaps (whole flap/aileron system up) are used
to change the wing camber to a more efficient shape for high speed
flight. I don't notice much trim change when going between positive
and negative flaps, but do notice a somewhat reduced roll rate with
negative flaps. I don't believe trimming the ailerons up and down
is a very efficient way to pitch trim a conventional aircraft. It
does work well with a flying wing.

Jim,
With your aircraft being tail heavy, you should first do a weight
and balance to check that the CG is within the recommended
range. Aft CG out of the proper range is dangerous. If the CG is
not out of limits, the most efficient (from a drag standpoint) way
to trim it is to raise the front of the horizontal stabilizer a bit.

You are degrading the efficiency of the wing by flying the aircraft
without a gap cover. Minimally, at least the top surface of the gap
should be covered. You might see that 1500 feet per minute rate of
climb you expected with a gap cover in place.

--------
Dave Bigelow
Kamuela, Hawaii
FS2, HKS 700E

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=154269#154269

ulflyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

One thing I would do if I were to build another and that is reduce
the cord of the flaps and ailerons - see comments made by Jack
Hart. It is a little sensitive on the roll control to the point
where you almost fighting your self.

Regarding the wheels and tires on the FireFly see comment posted by
Guy Morgan 02 Aug 2004 16:26, he covers what he did regarding the tires.
jerb

jb92563

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Jet Pilot,

I disagree with your comment about reflexed ailerons/spoilerons being bad and requiring a lot of trim forces.

I own an HP-11 glider that has Flaps on 66% of the trailing edge that go from 90 degrees to -5 degrees reflexed and in a nicely designed wing/tail/control system you barely need any trim forces.

My stick in fact has no trim adjustment nor any trim tabs and the stick forces are negligable from 90 to -5....hard to imagine but true.

Its not even a flying tail so I am not sure how the designer accomplished the neutral forces other than harmonizing the wing/tail forces to a fine degree.

Its nice to go 40mph with 10 degree flaps and then accelerate to 90mph with -5 degree flaps with virtually no change in stick back pressure.

I will agree however that flaperons are not ideal in some flight modes as improper design or rigging may show its ugly head near the stall.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

| I own an HP-11 glider that has Flaps on 66% of the trailing edge
that go from 90 degrees to -5 degrees reflexed and in a nicely
designed wing/tail/control system you barely need any trim forces.
| --------
| Ray
Ray/Gang:

Kolbs are not gliders. When one adds a high thrust line pusher, or a
low thrust line pusher (your Ultrastar for instance) the flight
characteristics change.

My mkIII flies perfectly trimmed when the engine is off and I am
gliding. However, when I fire it up and bring up the power, the high
thrust line with lots of power pushing on that long lever, pushes the
nose down. Then I need some mechanical trim (spring loaded up
elevator cable) to take the load off the stick. I can also lighten
the load with aileron and flap adjustments. I also lowered the
leading edge of the horizontal stabilizers. I try to get the whole
aircraft working most efficiently for me.

The Ultrastar was not affected much with the low pusher configuration.
Probably because the high wing with the engine and pilot hanging under
the wing, coupled with drag, helps compensate for the low thrust line.
My Ultrastar acted much more like a tractor than the high thrust line
Kolbs.

Someone mentioned changing thrust line of the engine. I went through
those experiements early on with my new 1992 mkIII. Changing the
engine left, right, up and down, had negligible effect on how the
mkIII trimmed up. I also changed the leading edge of the upper
vertical stabilizer, with very little improvement. Ended up putting
the engine and vertical stab back in the stock, straight, original
position.

Most of the ideas, experiments, mods, etc., that you all are bashing
around now have been done in the past. The way my mkIII is set up and
flown today is the result of all those ideas. Some worked, some
didn't.

There are still ideas to be checked out. Maybe one of these days I
will get around to seeing if they will improve my mkIII or not.

Merry Xmas, Happy New Year,

john h
mkIII
Mobile, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
ez(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Jim.
for best results,

If you are flying a Jet, take the advise of the JetPilot.
If you are flying a glider, take the advise of the glider pilot.
If you are flying a Kolb, take the advise of "The Kolb Pilot".

The pitch trim effects of aileron/ flap adjustments on a slender high
aspect glider wing do not have anywhere near the same effect as on a
short low aspect Kolb wing.

Try adjusting your ailerons. You'll be amazed at how easily a Kolb
plane can be trimmed for pitch

jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

Thanks for everybody's inputs. All advice is appreciated.

Since it snowed 9 inches this morning, I probably won't be able to make any changes real soon. I will install the adjustable U-joint ASAP and am confident it will correct my left-wing heavy problem. After that, I will see where I am on the pitch issue.

Thanks again.
Jim Dunn
N. Idaho

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/26/2007 2:19:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ez(at)embarqmail.com writes:
Quote:

BINGO

Steve B
Firefly 007/Floats
do not archive

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you like your FireFly? Reply with quote

ez(at)embarqmail.com wrote:
Jim.
for best results,

If you are flying a Jet, take the advise of the JetPilot.
If you are flying a glider, take the advise of the glider pilot.
If you are flying a Kolb, take the advise of "The Kolb Pilot".

I happen to fly both a Kolb and Jets, that "glider pilot" has been flying ultralights for about 25 years and also flys a Kolb. Most importantly, your little "Jingle" while cute, does not mean its correct or even good advice. I would take the advice of the most qualified and knowledgeable person I could find. The few lines you posted might do well in selling something to soccer moms and the general population, but I sure as heck would not set up my plane based on some funny little post.

Yes, aileron angle does affect pitch trim on a Kolb, but that does not mean that it is a good way to set your pitch trim. I have seen posts about using ailerons and flaps to adjust trim enough times that I experimented with this very thing on my MK-III with very poor results, it affected the trim a lot, but also raised my stall speed and made the plane fly poorly. I ended up setting aileron and flaps back where Kolb says to put them, and fixed my pitch trim at the elevator. Setting aileron and flap trim is the WRONG way to achieve proper pitch trim, just because you can do it does not mean you should. When Jim talks about 45 being very close to stall speed on a firefly, and less than spectacular climbs with a 503, that tells me something is wrong with the way his plane is set up.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: