Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olendorf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

Today I was cleaning up the cage getting it ready to start painting it with primer. I found a rotted tube. It wasn't noticeable until I started wiping it down with a scrubbing pad. You can see it is wet inside the tube.

I had to test the other tubes as well and I didn't know how best to do it. What I did was I took a piece of aluminum tubing and started hitting the other tubes. When I came to the spot in the other side of the cage I left a dent so I know that side was weak as well. I guess that is a good way to test your tubing even if it is covered.

It was good to find it now rather then while landing.

So now I have two tubes that need to be replaced. Does anyone know what size and type of tubing I will need? I plan on bringing it to an aircraft repair shop but I would like to know the size in case I need to provide my own material.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Rot 3.JPG
 Description:
So you can see what tubes are bad.
 Filesize:  68.15 KB
 Viewed:  486 Time(s)

Rot 3.JPG

rot 2.JPG
 Description:
Other side
 Filesize:  60.94 KB
 Viewed:  482 Time(s)

rot 2.JPG

rot 1.JPG
 Description:
1st side.
 Filesize:  60.49 KB
 Viewed:  470 Time(s)

rot 1.JPG

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

One method to use to inspect tubing for integrity is to use an awl or sharp pick and apply firm hand pressure with the point of the tool to the tube in question.

If the awl or pick penetrates the tube or deforms it, you have a corroded tube.

I would very carefully inspect all the lower tubes for corrosion as you may have other tubes that are in bad shape.

You will have to call Travis at Kolb to find out the wall thickness of the tubes that are damaged. The construction plans for my Firestar II do not specify tube wall thickness.

Carlos G

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Wade Lawicki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

Looks like the result of no drain holes in the fabric, if left out with inadequate cover the moisture or rain settles in the low spot. Tube has to be replaced so you could cut through it and mic the wall thickness before you take it to be repaired. Aircraft Spruce will have what you need.
Fly Safe,
Wade

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

Hi Folks:

May have corroded from inside out.

Primary reason to use tube seal inside the fuselage and other 4130 tubes. Just cause you can not see it, does not mean it ain't rusting away while you sleep and fly.

The awl punch test will tell you when the tube is about ready to fail. Won't tell you anything about a tube that is rusting from inside out and not reached the point that the awl will penetrate the corroded tube.

I have been using one quart of Stitts Tube Seal for 24 years and three Kolb fuselages. Still have a pint left. Never had a tube rust through, yet. Wink

Ignoring it will not make it go away.

Titus, Alabama
icrashrc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

John,

Do you drill a small hole in each tube for the tube seal, then weld it closed when finished? Thanks,

www.ill-EagleAviation.com

do not archive
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

Hi Scott:

Just posted procedure to the Kolb List. Pasted it below:

I usually drill 1/8" hole near a weld at the end of main tubes which I consider catastrophic is they should fail. The little bracing tubes that would not have a catastrophic effect on flight I usually do not inject tube seal.

I haven't bought any tube seal since 1984 so I do not know what kind of instructions are on the cans of newer stuff. The old Stitts Tube Seal had instructions in ccm for diameter and lenght of tubing. I get large hyperdermic needles and syringes from my Vet which are graduated in ccm.

After the tube seal goes in I seal the hole with an 1/8" aluminum closed end pop rivet.

If there are pin holes in the welds, the tube seal will seal them. If you should develop a crack, tube seal will leave a tell tale streak of black to let you know you have a problem.

Titus, Alabama
olendorf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotten cage tubes found. Photos attached. Reply with quote

The tubes sure look like they rusted from the inside. The outside of the tubes looked normal. I like the tube seal idea after seeing these tubes. I received some encouraging emails and after thinking about it I guess it isn't so bad. I'll have it fixed in no time. I couldn't have found it at a better time.

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: