Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight report & question-701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> After 7 air-hours in my CH 701, I can report how it flies and need to ask a question.
The flying.
I don’t have all the information yet, but here is what I can tell you:
- Empty weight 650# with the CG 373 mm behind slats
- Develops Max level-flight RPM of 5400 w/ 3 blade Warpdrive set 12°
- Stall (at 2000-RPM idle) slightly under 30-MPH (GPS)
- Best glide angle is about 60-MPH at 2000-RPM idle
- Flies about 85-MPH at 4900-RPM
(I will add streamlined strut covers and hope to cruise 90-MPH)
- Best climb at 55-MPH (about 1200’/m w/20 Gal fuel & 180’ pilot)
- Tracks well. Holds altitude hands off between 40 & 85 MPH (w/ el. trim)
- EZ autopilot and Dynon 180 work great and are recommended
The question.
Is it normal for the 701 to try to reach a very high angle-of-attack at lift off? The stick on my 701 pulls itself firmly back and I have to push it forward to prevent the 701 from going into very high angle of attack, slowing the plane to near stall speed. It probably wouldn’t stall, but I don’t want to be in this configuration in case of an engine stoppage. Note that the elevator trim tab is in neutral position during take-off and the plane trims out very well using the trim tab in all but very high RPM conditions.
If this is not a normal 701 characteristic, I can think of two factors that may be causing it, and can use advice from those of you who have also experienced this condition.
  • The first factor I can do little about. Because I added about 40# of BRS chute and reinforcing structure behind the baggage compartment, my 701 is a little tail heavy, but well within the allowed GC range (e.g., when I was flying yesterday with 20 gal fuel, my CG was about 450mm behind the slats. Zenith says you’re OK from 280 to 500mm).
  • The second factor I can probably deal with. When I was installing the controls I noticed that the stick sprang back from the far right when pushed side-to side to test the aileron control. It took a while to discover that this was caused by tight elevator cables. After first few flights (with a passenger aboard where the take-off effect was not as great) I loosened the upper cable about Ľ” at the turnbuckle near the forward bellcrank (this is the cable attached to bottom of the elevator & pulls the el. down). The elevator cable can now swing an inch or two in the middle when the bungees are not attached to them, but the stick no longer springs back. Could loosing this cable be causing the problem? If so I apparently have a choice of having a spring-back (which probably means the el. control cable is too tight), or a potential take-off attitude problem.

I guess I could just set the trim tab to lower the nose at take off. Is this what you experienced 701’ers do?
Thanks for the advice,
Les

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

No, this is not normal behavior for any aircraft. The airplane trim
should be set before take off so that the airplane tends to hold climb
attitude on it's own after takeoff. If this requires an excessive amount
of trim tab deflection to achieve, you may have to change the angle of
incidence of the horizontal stabilizer to correct this. It sounds like
the leading edge of your stabilizer needs to be raised a bit since you
are running out of trim at high RPM. At cruise airspeed, the trim tab
should be somewhere near the neutral position.

I had the opposite problem with my 601. I didn't have enough nose down
trim available. I made new attachment brackets for the front of my
horizontal stabilizer in order to lower the leading edge about 3/8th of
an inch.

Les Goldner wrote:
Quote:

Is it normal for the 701 to try to reach a very high angle-of-attack at
lift off? The stick on my 701 pulls itself firmly back and I have to
push it forward to prevent the 701 from going into very high angle of
attack, slowing the plane to near stall speed. It probably wouldn’t
stall, but I don’t want to be in this configuration in case of an engine
stoppage. Note that the elevator trim tab is in neutral position during
take-off and the plane trims out very well using the trim tab in all but
very high RPM conditions.

I guess I could just set the trim tab to lower the nose at take off. Is
this what you experienced 701’ers do?

Thanks for the advice,
Les

--

Bryan Martin
Zenith 601XL N61BM
Ram Subaru, Stratus redrive
Do Not Archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

do not archive.
NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

Les, I offer the following advise for your 701.

In a message dated 1/16/2008 3:39:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lgold(at)quantum-associates.com writes:
Quote:

After 7 air-hours in my CH 701, I can report how it flies and need to ask a question.
The flying.
I don’t have all the information yet, but here is what I can tell you:
- Empty weight 650# with the CG 373 mm behind slats
- Develops Max level-flight RPM of 5400 w/ 3 blade Warpdrive set 12° You should be getting near 5800 RPM on your wide open RPM in flight, reduce your pitch a little bit.
- Stall (at 2000-RPM idle) slightly under 30-MPH (GPS)
- Best glide angle is about 60-MPH at 2000-RPM idle
- Flies about 85-MPH at 4900-RPM
(I will add streamlined strut covers and hope to cruise 90-MPH)You will.
- Best climb at 55-MPH (about 1200’/m w/20 Gal fuel & 180’ pilot)
- Tracks well. Holds altitude hands off between 40 & 85 MPH (w/ el. trim)
- EZ autopilot and Dynon 180 work great and are recommended
The question.
Is it normal for the 701 to try to reach a very high angle-of-attack at lift off? The stick on my 701 pulls itself firmly back and I have to push it forward to prevent the 701 from going into very high angle of attack, slowing the plane to near stall speed.This does not happen with mine, you need to apply some back pressure to rotate and climb It probably wouldn’t stall, but I don’t want to be in this configuration in case of an engine stoppage. Note that the elevator trim tab is in neutral position during take-off and the plane trims out very well using the trim tab in all but very high RPM conditions. When in cruise what position is your elevator trim in? Is it in the neutral position or do you have to use trim to pitch the nose down?
If this is not a normal 701 characteristic, I can think of two factors that may be causing it, and can use advice from those of you who have also experienced this condition.
  • The first factor I can do little about. Because I added about 40# of BRS chute and reinforcing structure behind the baggage compartment, my 701 is a little tail heavy, but well within the allowed GC range (e.g., when I was flying yesterday with 20 gal fuel, my CG was about 450mm behind the slats. Zenith says you’re OK from 280 to 500mm). Where is your battery installed?
  • The second factor I can probably deal with. When I was installing the controls I noticed that the stick sprang back from the far right when pushed side-to side to test the aileron control. It took a while to discover that this was caused by tight elevator cables. After first few flights (with a passenger aboard where the take-off effect was not as great) I loosened the upper cable about ¼” at the turnbuckle near the forward bellcrank (this is the cable attached to bottom of the elevator & pulls the el. down).This should not do it but you should recheck your elevator travel up and down for the correct degrees of travel The elevator cable can now swing an inch or two in the middle when the bungees are not attached to them, but the stick no longer springs back. Could loosing this cable be causing the problem? If so I apparently have a choice of having a spring-back (which probably means the el. control cable is too tight), or a potential take-off attitude problem.

I guess I could just set the trim tab to lower the nose at take off. Is this what you experienced 701’ers do? I use full up trim for take off, in cruise the trim is centered. Bob Spudis N701ZX/912S/140hrs
Thanks for the advice,
Les

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

jetboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

Les,
Bob has said mostly what I was about to say- I will just add some notes about my 701 characteristics

I usually T/O with full up trim set and flap (16 deg). this is a rev-4 1100lbs
with Jabiru 2200a engine.

My first takeoffs did feel as if the aircraft was over-rotating with a pitch up on liftoff. I have become accustomed to this characteristic, as if the centre of lift pressure under the wing is moving forward when the AofA is increased. The stick has never pushed itself aft or required any down pressure my me to correct, as far as I remember. Perhaps the effect is worse with zero flap. Perhaps you have more power making the elevator authority even more sensitive to power settings - which it is designed to be. Dont worry about the pitch if the engine stops - if your cg is correct the nose will come down in heaps because propwash is gone from the elevator.

My empty wt is 590 lbs and cg 310mm (21%MAC) and this situation works out that with full fuel and crew to 1100 lbs I require zero load in aft baggage area to be within the aft cg limit. My battery and as much stuff as practical is stowed forward as possible.

The elevator cables / aileron tensioning I have learnt to live with. but plan to experiment with a bungee to hold the aileron over to the right so the stick sits in the middle instead of being propped up by my leg most of the time. It might have been nicer to have it tensioning on left aileron, as its easier to fly with the weight of your arm pulling towards you than pushing away. I think to change this would need a reversal of most of the elevator horn setup. If the cables are too loose, the elevator tends to bump a bit taxying in tailwinds.

I have written to ZAC about how to tension the cables and asking what the revised flap limit speed is for the 16 deg max. flaps and why, but have not found any answer. My build instructions have no details of these things.

Regards, Ralph

dkandle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

I have about 90 hours on my 701 and I discovered a few weeks ago that with full back elevator, and full (or nearly so) power you can put the tail into the dirt.
I was landing on a dirt strip and hit a mud puddle. I went to add power to keep from getting bogged down but added a bit too much power. I rotated the tail right into the ground.
My plane is very stock. With no one in the plane, if you push the tail all the way down it will stay put with the tail on the ground (don't remember how much fuel I had when I tried this). So, when the weight of the plane is on the wheels (as opposed to the wings), once the tail gets to a certain point it doesn't take too much more down force to take it all the way down. Clearly the prop blast provides enough elevator authority to push the tail to the ground.
On the 701 I start my ground roll with neutral elevator and when the airspeed moves past 20 I gently lift the nose. On my Cessna 206 I start with the control all the way aft and relax pressure as the nose lifts. If I were to start the takeoff in the 701 with the control all the way back I could easily see how it would simply take the tail all the way down as it all happens so fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

My 701 tail also stays down if you push it to the ground and also tries to
climb very steeply on takeoff if I don't set the trim down. I attribute this
to the 40# of BRS chute behind the baggage compartment, which puts my empty
CG toward the back of the allowed range (about 375mm aft of the front of the
slats).

The CG in my 701 / Rotax 912ULS is, however, within the allowed range (just
under than 500mm aft limit) even with 370# pilot-passenger, 20 Gal. of fuel,
and 50# of baggage.

Can you tell us what engine you have, where does your empty CG fall, and
what is the weight of your 701? (You could also have an aft GC if your
engine is lighter than my 912, even without a chute). With a lighter engine
your AOA could go very high.

Did you do much damage to your plane when the tail hit?

Regards,
Les

[quote] --

dkandle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

Quote:
My 701 tail also stays down if you push it to the ground and also tries to
climb very steeply on takeoff if I don't set the trim down. ...

Can you tell us what engine you have, where does your empty CG fall, and
what is the weight of your 701? ...
Did you do much damage to your plane when the tail hit?

Regards,
Les

Les: I have a 912ULS and use a rather light Osprey battery located behind the seat (normal location). I don't have my paperwork in front of me, but my empty weight is about 590 lbs.

No real damage was done. Just some scuff marks and a slightly bent rudder horn. I think I'll put a skid on the back. It also touched the rear lower part of the rudder. This is one problem I see with this geometry. The first part to hit is the rudder, not the rear tie-down ring. My guess is that at some point they redesigned something (like the gear) and didn't make the corresponding change to the lower rudder line.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Flight report & question-701 Reply with quote

dkendle,
FYI, I put a 4 or 5" thin skateboard wheel on a thick "L" angle at the back
bottom of the fus and also put a tie-down point there. I hope this will keep
the rudder off the runway.
Les

[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: