Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rudder cam...how big is too big?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

All this rudder cam talk (cool footage by the way Scott) has got me thinking.

Almost all cameras come with a tripod mount hole in the bottom of them that allows you to firmly attach the camera to a tripod.

How much airflow disturbance would you create by mounting one of these new, small hard drive HD video cameras on the rudder, or wing, or fuselage?

For example, the Sony HDR-SR1 is 3.1 inches high and 3.3 inches wide, 6.5 inches long and weighs 1.6 pounds. This would take some great video, and you wouldn't need to mess with cords through the fuselage, etc. Granted, you'd want to make sure you weren't flying in nasty weather (which I don't plan on doing, although yes, I know freak storms can appear), as the camera would be exposed to the elements.

You could conceivably build a few different mounts into the skin of the Aircraft and mount the camera in different locations.

i'd be interested to see if folks thinks this is feasible and safe

Thanks!

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
LHusky(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

Well, I just bought the Sony camera you mentioned. Although it does take excellent quality video, and it states that the HD is insulated from shock, it stops recording when placed on the dash of a Cessna. Even in smooth flight, the engine vibration stops the recording. I can hold it in my hand and it does great. If you were to mount it on the plane, it would still have to have some really good shock absorbers on it. I work in law enforcement and there are some really good quality camera's out there that are really small. I have put them in all kinds of things from TV's, clocks, smoke detectors and just inside a plain white wall. They give great pictures. I am going to build a fairing and have a small camera mounted inside it. I am planing on 3 camera's. The total weight of the 3 cameras is about 4 oz. They sell a very thin and lightweight wire for these cameras that is also shielded. We install them in vehicles all the time. I will have a small DVR in the baggage area that will record everything. I will have a switch and small monitor on the panel so that I can see what is recording.  Everything weighs approximately 4 pounds. I will have a cockpit camera, rudder camera and a landing light camera. I love to record video, so that is why I am going with 3 cameras. I have experimented with these in a Cessna 172 and it is really good quality.

Good luck,

Larry Husky
N667H (Reserved)

In a message dated 1/17/2008 7:37:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, akok(at)fas.harvard.edu writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "akok" <akok(at)fas.harvard.edu>

All this rudder cam talk (cool footage by the way Scott) has got me thinking.

Almost all cameras come with a tripod mount hole in the bottom of them that allows you to firmly attach the camera to a tripod.

How much airflow disturbance would you create by mounting one of these new, small hard drive HD video cameras on the rudder, or wing, or fuselage?

For example, the Sony HDR-SR1 is 3.1 inches high and 3.3 inches wide, 6.5 inches long and weighs 1.6 pounds. This would take some great video, and you wouldn't need to mess with cords through the fuselage, etc. Granted, you'd want to make sure you weren't flying in nasty weather (which I don't plan on doing, although yes, I know freak storms can appear), as the camera would be exposed to the elements.

You could conceivably build a few different mounts into the skin of the Aircraft and mount the camera in different locations.

i'd be interested to see if folks thinks this is feasible and safe

Thanks!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=158945#158945

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PatrickW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

I wonder if there's a way to run the recording in a "loop"....?

For example, at any given time the camera's memory would contain footage of the previous 30 minutes.

A rudder cam set up like that would be useful in diagnosing issues during test flights.

Patrick
XL/Corvair

cgbrt(at)mondenet.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

I would advise caution when adding any (relatively) large heavy object to the top of the flying rudder on 701/601 types. The hinge configuration being low and close together needs to be considered for stress and what effect the change could have on flutter susceptibility..
Carl 701
[quote] [b]

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

I agree that adding even a small camcorder to the rudder is too much. You also have to deal with things such as temperature change & humidity, not to mention the 100+ mph breeze - You may come back from a flight and find most or all of your camera missing.

Another minor issue with the rudder cam is if you apply rudder pressure the camera turns away from the direction of flight. In addition, the small cameras that have been used in such applications typically do not deal with extremes of lighting very well and have shutter speeds that are too slow for such applications. If it were me, I would mount a small camcorder high in the canopy and use a wide angle lens attachment... that way you could see both what he airplane is doing and what the instruments are showing.

BTW - in the plane I use a Sony HDR-HC1. I've never had it stop recording from vibration and believe me when I tell you that my 1946 Champ vibrates...

Tim

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: rudder cam...how big is too big? Reply with quote

Guys, pay attention to the guy who warned against adding any significant
weight to the top of the rudder. He's right. If you want to add one of
those one-ounce CCD "lipstick" cameras, that's fine. Anything over 6
ounces accidentally put in the wrong place, in my opinion, is asking
for flutter or some other aeroelastic/structural issue. Anything you do
put up there HAS to be on or forward of the hinge line for flutter
safety. If you want to not have the camera turn when you touch the
rudder pedals, that's easy. Mount it on a bearing or bushing so it can
rotate freely and put a small weathervane fin behind it. It will always
point forward parallel to the flight path.

Use a very tiny camera that weighs an ounce or two, and don't put ten
pounds of coax cable from that little camera to the cockpit. I'm sure a
standard two-wire system using small gauge wire will be fine. If it has
to be shielded, wrap it in half an ounce of aluminum foil not five
pounds of electrical shielding.

Bill The New Guy

Tim Juhl wrote:
Quote:

I agree that adding even a small camcorder to the rudder is too much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: