Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT Monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_graham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

Seeing that my CHT gauge in the Yak-52 only shows
temps off of one cylinder (#4 I believe), does anyone
have an opinion on gauges that measure CHT/EGT off of
all 9 cylinders, like JPI's EDM‑700‑9C?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

John P. Graham
CubFlyer1940(at)Yahoo.com
Cell phone (847) 641-1330
Looking for last minute shopping deals?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

(847) 641-1330
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

John,
You are reopening a long and torrid thread on monitoring CHT and EGT with a
9 cylinder or 6 cylinder JPI or Dynon. The question for you is, "what are
you going to do with the information once you have it." As you know on the
52 and the 50, you have a pressure carburetor so you cannot richen the
mixture to cool the engine. You can only do that by opening the Louvers and
pulling the power back or diving to increase airflow across the fins (i.e.,
shock cool). Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the ambient atmospheric
temperature. The M-14 is a tough engine and will take short froes to temps
above 220 C. Best policy is to push the engine control louvers to full open
for Take-off. I never move my hand off of them if I pulled them closed to
warm the engine on the ground, otherwise you are going to forget them at
some point and time only to be surprised by the temp! Also always keep the
friction set to where it takes a mild degree of effort to move them
otherwise they will drift closed on you in flight.
Back to 9 cylinder monitoring, I have toyed with the idea of putting in the
Dynon EMS D10 (I know it only monitors 6 and will need a toggle switch to
monitor the other 3) but my question still comes up why? As for the JPI
monitor, the best part of that instrument is the fuel flow monitor function.
For now, I am putting in a FS-450 from JPI to monitor fuel flow and am
leaving the CHT to the existing Russian designed gauge. If and when it
fails, I will revisit the Dynon EMS D10 idea.
Sorry, did not help much.
Doc

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bhancock(at)worldwidewarb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

Quote:

Time: 10:22:39 AM PST US
From: John Graham <cubflyer1940(at)yahoo.com (cubflyer1940(at)yahoo.com)>
Subject: CHT Monitoring

Seeing that my CHT gauge in the Yak-52 only shows
temps off of one cylinder (#4 I believe), does anyone
have an opinion on gauges that measure CHT/EGT off of
all 9 cylinders, like JPI's EDM‑700‑9C? 
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

We are currently installing the Blue Mountain Engine Pod in two CJ's.  We are hoping to do first engine runs on the first one in the next 30 days or so.  The Big Advantage, in my opinion, is for nearly the same price as dedicated engine monitors (and in many cases much less) you get not only all the engine monitor info you could ever use, but also a full EFIS that will fit into a 3 1/8" hole if you use the Lite.  We are installing the Sport, which is, in my opinion, optimal for the CJ/Yak panel.   As soon as we have the panels installed in the aircraft (we're doing a complete rewire of the first CJ) in their final configuration, I'll post some pics.  

We have been working closely with BMA and also Cliff Coy at GESOCO has been very helpful in sharing info to pull this together correctly.  I love it when the community bands together for the greater good....in true commie warbird fashion!  Wink

Thanks,

Barry
Barry Hancock Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.
office (714) 730-3958
cell    (949) 300-5510
www.worldwidewarbirds.com
www.cj6.com

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination, forwarding or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message and all attachments from your system.  Thank you
[quote][b]

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

Take a look at the EI web page www.buy-ei.com and download the Pilots Manual for Leaning and Engine Diagnostics. Read it and decide for yourself if you want 9 cyl EGT and CHT. Doc is correct about the M-14 in that you can't lean it. However, there are a host of other engine problems you can diagnose with CHT and EGT info.

Barry is installing the BMA (www.bluemountainavionics.com) Sport in my CJ. In this project, I decided to do the engine pod and monitor EGT and CHT for all 9 cylinders. I addition, I get GPS linked in with fuel flow data, oil temps in and out, and a few other minor data points. We still have some work to do, but we are optimistic that the plane will be ready for and at Sun and Fun for those who would like to see the installation.

If you look at the cost of the JPI or EI monitor, Dynon, and a GPS, the BMA Sport solution comes in at a competitive (but higher) acquisition cost (installation will probably be more for the Sport too). However, the BMA solution is integrated, provides more function and is way better looking!

Once Barry is done with my plane, he and his crew will have the expertise to make the conversion for others. I'm sure Barry will happy to discuss this off list with anyone who is interested. I also think Barry will be posting pics of this installation (once we are done) on his company web site.

Fly smart. Fly safe!

Craig

dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

So, I'd love to see how it turns out. I agree the BM is better looking,
has terrain and gps built in. I was leaning that way due to the
autopilot option ($3500). To have a repeater screen in the back for the
BM is only 3k more. (only?) But the repeater screen only shows what is
on the front screen, no real intelligence there.
However, for the same cost as the sport and engine pod (8k not with the
added BM repeater), I can get 2 Dynon D-100s and a D-120. That gives
me 2 in the front cockpit and 1 in the back. They don't have GPS, but
they do interface to the Garmin 3/496. Also with the new dynon HS34,
the 3 EFIS units are easy to connect together and to multiple other
items such as 496,SL30,GTX330, etc. Each of the Garmin EFIS units can
display any of the data, HSI, ADI, Eng data, etc. With the connection
to a 3/496 you get fuel data as well. Also, Dynon is getting ready for
beta testing of their autopilot, so they'll have one by the summer or fall.

I like the BM screen system and the built in GPS/terrain. But then
again updates are costly. As is the cost of the unit(s).

The Dynon is a good unit, needs a switch to cover the other cyls for
CHT/EGT but is inexpensive comparatively.

I'm adding a GTX330 and a SL30 during my annual this winter. But I'm
still on the sidelines regarding EFIS.

Dabear
Craig Winkelmann, CFI wrote:
Quote:

Take a look at the EI web page www.buy-ei.com and download the Pilots Manual for Leaning and Engine Diagnostics. Read it and decide for yourself if you want 9 cyl EGT and CHT. Doc is correct about the M-14 in that you can't lean it. However, there are a host of other engine problems you can diagnose with CHT and EGT info.

Barry is installing the BMA (www.bluemountainavionics.com) Sport in my CJ. In this project, I decided to do the engine pod and monitor EGT and CHT for all 9 cylinders. I addition, I get GPS linked in with fuel flow data, oil temps in and out, and a few other minor data points. We still have some work to do, but we are optimistic that the plane will be ready for and at Sun and Fun for those who would like to see the installation.

If you look at the cost of the JPI or EI monitor, Dynon, and a GPS, the BMA Sport solution comes in at a competitive (but higher) acquisition cost (installation will probably be more for the Sport too). However, the BMA solution is integrated, provides more function and is way better looking!

Once Barry is done with my plane, he and his crew will have the expertise to make the conversion for others. I'm sure Barry will happy to discuss this off list with anyone who is interested. I also think Barry will be posting pics of this installation (once we are done) on his company web site.

Fly smart. Fly safe!

Craig

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=158867#158867

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

DaBear,
I have the EFIS D10A in my 50. It is great with all the info it provides.
With the 3/496 and a SL30 you have the HIS function too. Not a moving map
but he 396 provides that.
I am adding the HS34 but I have not jumped on the EMS D10 yet since I had
already bought the JPI 450 and have the fuel flow sensor installed. I am
still haggling with tech support to commit to making a software update to
convert RPM taken from the P lead to % RPM otherwise sorting out the 4 leads
from the tach generator to get that conversion accomplished will be a brain
tease. Maybe someone else has already done this.
Doc

--

n395v

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT Monitoring Reply with quote

I have the JPI on mine and Ilove it. Works great. Was easy to install.

I replaced the pressure carb with an Airflow Performance throttle body with manual mixture control. The JPI is quite useful when leaning.

I programmed it for deg F and lean to CHTs of 380.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: