Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VG's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpspencer(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Hmmm...lots of theory and heavy thinking on vg's going on here lately. Not being one to get TOO deep into the theory I can offer this: I am one of the renegades who removed the slats In favor of the vg's and believe me I will never go back. The improvement in flying qualities alone(much more stable and predictable at low speed/safer) made the change worth it not to mention a much more efficient airplane(pull the power back, go the same speed on less gas) with no real world loss in STOL capability. As to the lessened drag for approach angle-all one has to do is slip the thing and that slab side will bring it out of the sky like a freight train. And all the verbiage about increased load on the wing at stall is, from a practical standpoint, just a bunch of crap...don't forget this thing is supposedly stressed for 6 G. I can't imagine ever being able to get anything like that much gustload on it at any speed anywhere near a one G stall-it would turn itself inside out. Similiar situation for maneuvering speed...it's kinda like, so what?-that is, assuming the pilot is competent enough to not be hauling ass and snatching the stick around in heavy gusts. (Doubtful in some cases, admittedly) Furthermore, I can't measure any reduction on one G stall speed on mine...that, if at all present, is minute and of no consequence and merely incidential to the real benefit of vastly improved low speed flying qualities and increased efficiency with no real world loss/gain of STOL capability.
I have spent a lifetime in the air in everything from absolute junk to widebodies and feel fairly well qualified to evaluate the merits of a such a straight forward change as slats/vg/701. I spent some 40 hours at flight test slats vs. vg's and when it was all down on paper the decision to cut the slat brackets off was easy. It was the right thing to do for me.(I did find that vg placement was critical) For those with doubts I would offer that it isn't the right thing for you so don't do it. I'm not selling anything here and don't care what you do with your money.
This list has some highly experienced/well qualified folks on it and I highly respect your qualifications...but I do wonder if any of the recent naysayer posters have a shred of experience with 701/slat/vgs. As is so often the case on this list, I suspect the ones yelling the loudest have the least first hand experience with what it is they are talking about, much less some 40 hours objective flight test. I personally don't know of anybody who went vg's going back to slats on the 701. They generally are the real world types and have little interest in neverending talk/handwringing about theory that has very little if any real practical application when dealing with the 701.
I feel sure the theorists will have something to say about this...but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Joe
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Joe, First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to explain your results. I am the builder and test pilot of an 801. My take on this is the 701 / 801 has a very similar wing and with that a similar leading edge. The slat profile is ALOT different then the blunt nose of the wing. By removing the slats doesn't that create a completely different airfoil? Don't get me wrong, I am looking for some additional speed in my "beast" and I can attest to the fact that a ton of horsepower doesn't do it. My opinion is that the 801 hits a wall around 105-110 mph and it is like dragging a parachute to get through that wall. I guess my question is,,,before I glue and / or rivet alot of VG's on my toy has anyone flown a 701 /801 without slats and VG's. ? I would hate to make my plane uglier and then have to fill/ repaint the spots where the VG's were. All feedback is welcome.... Thanks in advance.
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Joe Spencer" <jpspencer(at)cableone.net> wrote:
Hmmm...lots of theory and heavy thinking on vg's going on here lately. Not being one to get TOO deep into the theory I can offer this: I am one of the renegades who removed the slats In favor of the vg's and believe me I will never go back. The improvement in flying qualities alone(much more stable and predictable at low speed/safer) made the change worth it not to mention a much more efficient airplane(pull the power back, go the same speed on less gas) with no real world loss in STOL capability. As to the lessened drag for approach angle-all one has to do is slip the thing and that slab side will bring it out of the sky like a freight train. And all the verbiage about increased load on the wing at stall is, from a practical standpoint, just a bunch of crap...don't forget this thing is supposedly stressed for 6 G. I can't imagine ever being able to get anything like that much gustload on it at any speed anywhere near a one G stall-it would turn itself inside out. Similiar situation for maneuvering speed...it's kinda like, so what?-that is, assuming the pilot is competent enough to not be hauling ass and snatching the stick around in heavy gusts. (Doubtful in some cases, admittedly) Furthermore, I can't measure any reduction on one G stall speed on mine...that, if at all present, is minute and of no consequence and merely incidential to the real benefit of vastly improved low speed flying qualities and increased efficiency with no real world loss/gain of STOL capability.
I have spent a lifetime in the air in everything from absolute junk to widebodies and feel fairly well qualified to evaluate the merits of a such a straight forward change as slats/vg/701. I spent some 40 hours at flight test slats vs. vg's and when it was all down on paper the decision to cut the slat brackets off was easy. It was the right thing to do for me.(I did find that vg placement was critical) For those with doubts I would offer that it isn't the right thing for you so don't do it. I'm not selling anything here and don't care what you do with your money.
This list has some highly experienced/well qualified folks on it and I highly respect your qualifications..but I do wonder if any of the recent naysayer posters have a shred of experience with 701/slat/vgs. As is so often the case on this list, I suspect the ones yelling the loudest have the least first hand experience with what it is they are talking about, much less some 40 hours objective flight test. I personally don't know of anybody who went vg's going back to slats on the 701. They generally are the real world types and have little interest in neverending talk/handwringing about theory that has very little if any real practical application when dealing with the 701.
I feel sure the theorists will have something to say about this...but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Joe
Quote:

====================================
">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tronics.com
www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kmccune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VG's Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Joe,
I believe that you are correct in the case of who yells the loudest. It is also a shame that more people don't speak up, who have done this.

Ben read the linked article form Mr Heintz

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/design/slats-vs-vg-design.html

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
John Bolding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

JOE, And to think that you have accused me, FACE TO FACE I might add, of being able (and willing) to stir this pot at will, I hereby turn over my stick to the new leader. And who would have thought such a mild mannered dude from upper Mississippi as yourself would have risen to such heights.!!! Come visit!
LO&SLO John Bolding

do not archive, please

[quote] ---

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin for the link... I did read the article from Chris and it is about what I thought he would say. I will keep my slats on and take the "slight" reduction in speed in trade for the excellent STOL traits of my 801. The next test I will probably try is to get some wide helicopter tape and seal up the gap between the slats and the top and botom of the wing, esentially making it a wider chord without the air leaking through the slot and still maintaining the sleeker leading edge provided by the slats. I will post results after the test. If ya don't hear back from me it didn't work right. :<).
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net>

Thanks for the comments Joe,
I believe that you are correct in the case of who yells the loudest. It is also a shame that more people don't speak up, who have done this.

Ben read the linked article form Mr Heintz

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/design/slats-vs-vg-design.html

--------
Kevin
N701DZ Reserved

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewto================================================================================================bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORU================================================sp; &nb===============================================

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Joe Spencer wrote:
Quote:
I am one of the renegades who removed the slats In favor of the vg's
and believe me I will never go back. The improvement in flying
qualities alone(much more stable and predictable at low
speed/safer) made the change worth it not to mention a much more
efficient airplane(pull the power back, go the same speed on less
gas) with no real world loss in STOL capability.
is minute and of no consequence and merely incidential to the real
benefit of vastly improved low speed flying qualities and increased
efficiency with no real world loss/gain of STOL capability.
I spent some 40 hours at flight test slats vs. vg's and WHEN IT WAS
ALL DOWN ON PAPER

If you have real world test results, please post them (hopefully in a
format that allows an easy numerical comparison). I would like to see
what is the actual loss of STOL performance compared to what you get in
return.

Bill

kmccune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: VG's Reply with quote

Ben,
Try this link, they taped up the gap. The result was that the slat appears to actuality become part of the cord.
Give it a try, but be careful. Oh and like said, please post your results.

http://www.stolspeed.com/id/5

Dorothy McCune
Jeyoung65(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

I am not a 701 person, but do have a question about removing the slats. Do you just cover the slot between the wing and slat or do you just remove the slat? Jerry of Ga.

In a message dated 1/23/2008 5:52:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, n801bh(at)netzero.com writes:
Quote:
slat profile is ALOT different then the blunt nose of the wing.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Bill (and all),
Per your request I went back and dug thru my notes and came up with some figures for you. While I didn't bother to tabulate the whole mess hopefully this will suffice for your purposes...
CH 701, 912 ULS, 3 Blade Warp Drive set at 11 degrees. EW with slats 592, EW without slats 579, don't have the EWCG in front of me but believe it was 12%MAC or close to that. All flights were made with the same load, about 7 gallons gas, pilot, and a Wire Hair Terrier in the baggage shelf. Tried to fly as close to 60 F as possible(some variation here but minimal), and always at 1000 MSL in mostly smooth air. All speeds were taken from a gps and 4 leg box pattern average and carefully flown. I flew first with slats installed, then with no slats or vg's and finally with the vg's in 3 different positions(ended up with the vg's at 8% MAC-permanent position). My plane at that time had round(not streamlined) lift struts installed. I found that vg placement was important to predictable takeoff performance.
Cruise speed at 5000rpm, slats installed, 84.0 mph
Cruise speed at 5000rpm, no slats or vg's, 90.25 mph
Cruise speed at 5000 rpm, vg's at 8% MAC, 90.25 mph Note: I flew with the clean wing for that speed, installed the vg's(2 hours) and went right back out and flew under near identical conditions and came up with an identical speed for slats vs. clean. Real world I have found the cruise speed to be more like 88-89 mph for varying load conditions, temps etc.; still an increase of 4 to 5 mph over slats.
For takeoff and landing measurements: I have a 250 foot strip with markers along the sides for judging distances used. While not the best system it does work for my purposes and for real world evaluation, I think. At any rate here in Mississippi we have to get by with what we've got so there you have it. All measurements were done no wind and same load including the terrier. All takeoffs and landings were what I call max effort.
Takeoff distance with slats 60 feet average(see the green one on utube)
Takeoff distance without slats or vg's not measured
Takeoff distance with vg's at 8%MAC 60 feet average Note: If it will make the naysayers happy I will apply a penalty of 10% to the takeoff distance just to allow for whatever tolerances...even tho I didn't come up with that in my measurements. That's a whole 6 feet. Like I said somewhere before-who cares?
Landing distance with slats 180 feet
Landing distance without slats or vg's not measured
Landing distance with vg's 150 feet Note: I never was able to match ZAC figures for landing(140 feet I think it was) even tho I often lock the brakes for rollout(skidout). The big difference for me with the vg's is that the thing is so much more controllable at low speed allowing for a helluva lot more precise approach/touchdown.I found the 701 with slats to be fairly demanding when really slowed up(Roger at ZAC says fly 50 mph-kind of like a Cessna150 I thought) and things can unravel fast close in.The vg's cured a lot of that for me. Yes there is some flattening of the power off glide angle but once again the slip is available for obstacles so I call that a nonissue.
The big deal with the vg's is improved lowspeed handling, reduced buffet, and better fuel economy or higher cruise take your pick.I would rather that nobody put vg's on because of anything I say...I did it for me only and with no intention of ever getting involved in all this BS discussion...but the 701 is a different animal from what most of us have ever fooled with-the numbers are all so small that a huge percentage increase/decrease amounts to nothing in the real world and well the thing has such odd flight characteristics that unless one has first hand experience with it then chances are he just really doesn't know what he's talking about...transfer of knowledge/experience from other seemingly related areas isn't necessarily as valid as one might think cause it's so different, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, don't take my word for it do your own testing and whatnot and make up your own mind. But don't knock it til you've tried it.

Best to all,
Joe
BTW: The streamline lift struts make an even more dramatic performance change than the vg's. Cruise speed goes up even more, climb rate goes up, buffet decreases, and the glide angle is flattened out even more(slip it man) and curiously nobody ever downs those.

[quote][b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: VG's Reply with quote

Joe,
Thank you for taking the time.

Kevin

Dorothy McCune
frankroskind(at)HOTMAIL.C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

this seems interesting. Has anyone flown the 600 series with VG's? Maybe you could get really good cruise and good short field performance. Also, how do slats or VG's affect soft field performance?

Quote:
To: Zenith-List(at)matronics.com
Subject: Zenith-List: VG's
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:07:29 -0600

Bill (and all),
Per your request I went back and dug thru my notes and came up with some figures for you. While I didn't bother to tabulate the whole mess hopefully this will suffice for your purposes...
CH 701, 912 ULS, 3 Blade Warp Drive set at 11 degrees. EW with slats 592, EW without slats 579, don't have the EWCG in front of me but believe it was 12%MAC or close to that. All flights were made with the same load, about 7 gallons gas, pilot, and a Wire Hair Terrier in the baggage shelf. Tried to fly as close to 60 F as possible(some variation here but minimal), and always at 1000 MSL in mostly smooth air. All speeds were taken from a gps and 4 leg box pattern average and carefully flown. I flew first with slats installed, then with no slats or vg's and finally with the vg's in 3 different positions(ended up with the vg's at 8% MAC-permanent position). My plane at that time had round(not streamlined) lift struts installed. I found that vg placement was important to predictable takeoff performance.
Cruise speed at 5000rpm, slats installed, 84.0 mph
Cruise speed at 5000rpm, no slats or vg's, 90.25 mph
Cruise speed at 5000 rpm, vg's at 8% MAC, 90.25 mph Note: I flew with the clean wing for that speed, installed the vg's(2 hours) and went right back out and flew under near identical conditions and came up with an identical speed for slats vs. clean. Real world I have found the cruise speed to be more like 88-89 mph for varying load conditions, temps etc.; still an increase of 4 to 5 mph over slats.
For takeoff and landing measurements: I have a 250 foot strip with markers along the sides for judging distances used. While not the best system it does work for my purposes and for real world evaluation, I think. At any rate here in Mississippi we have to get by with what we've got so there you have it. All measurements were done no wind and same load including the terrier. All takeoffs and landings were what I call max effort.
Takeoff distance with slats 60 feet average(see the green one on utube)
Takeoff distance without slats or vg's not measured
Takeoff distance with vg's at 8%MAC 60 feet average Note: If it will make the naysayers happy I will apply a penalty of 10% to the takeoff distance just to allow for whatever tolerances..even tho I didn't come up with that in my measurements. That's a whole 6 feet. Like I said somewhere before-who cares?
Landing distance with slats 180 feet
Landing distance without slats or vg's not measured
Landing distance with vg's 150 feet Note: I never was able to match ZAC figures for landing(140 feet I think it was) even tho I often lock the brakes for rollout(skidout). The big difference for me with the vg's is that the thing is so much more controllable at low speed allowing for a helluva lot more precise approach/touchdown.I found the 701 with slats to be fairly demanding when really slowed up(Roger at ZAC says fly 50 mph-kind of like a Cessna150 I thought) and things canunravel fast close in.The vg's cured a lot of that for me. Yes there is some flattening of the power off glide angle but once again the slip is available for obstacles so I call that a nonissue.
The big deal with the vg's is improved lowspeed handling, reduced buffet, and better fuel economy or higher cruise take your pick.I would rather that nobody put vg's on because of anything I say...I did it for me only and with no intention of ever getting involved in all this BS discussion...but the 701 is a different animal from what most of us have ever fooled with-the numbers are all so small that a huge percentage increase/decrease amounts to nothing in the real world and well the thing has such odd flight characteristics that unless one has first hand experience with it then chances are he just really doesn't know what he's talking about...transfer of knowledge/experience from other seemingly related areas isn't necessarily as valid as one might think cause it's so different, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, don't take my word for it do your own testing and whatnot and make up your own mind. But don't knock it til you've tried it.

Best to all,
Joe
BTW: The streamline lift struts make an even more dramatic performance change than the vg's. Cruise speed goes up even more, climb rate goes up, buffet decreases, and the glide angle is flattened out even more(slip it man) and curiously nobody ever downs those.

Quote:

arget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail-get your "fix". Check it out. [quote][b]

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Joe,
Do you know how much further back, if any, that you changed the center of
lift on your wing by removing the slats and how this impacts the allowed CG
for your 701?
Les

[quote] --

DaveC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VG's Reply with quote

jpspencer(at)cableone.net wrote:
Bill (and all),

Thank you thank you thank you

Not just for the results of the VG trials, or for the bit about strut cleanup but for the reference to the 250' foot strip you use. I have been wondering how much land I need to set aside and improve for use as my airstrip and now I know some real world numbers. I now know that 240x40 (plus climb room on either end) should be realistic.

victorbravo(at)sbcglobal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Hey wait a minute... I didn't receive the message that starts with this
paragraph below... does it contain the numbers or test results? I got
several other messages but I didn't get the originalversion of this:
Quote:
jpspencer(at)cableone.net wrote:

> Bill (and all),
> Per your request I went back and dug thru my notes and came up with some figures for you. While I didn't bother to tabulate the whole mess hopefully this will suffice for your purposes...
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Thank you thank you thank you

Not just for the results of the VG trials, or for the bit about strut cleanup but
for the reference to the 250' foot strip you use. I have been wondering how
much land I need to set aside and improve for use as my airstrip and now I know
some real world numbers. I now know that 240x40 (plus climb room on either
end) should be realistic.

Dave
I wouldn't consider 250' to be an adequate everyday strip. I use it for testing, grins and such and it does have clearways on either end so if over/under shot there is no damage. I would think at least 500' minimum with clear approaches would be a comfortable, everyday use minimum, and only then if the pilot is proficient. If I could get more I would.
Joe
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

for your 701?
Les

Les
I don't know about the center of lift. The EWCG moved from 12% to 14% MAC if I remember correctly but do not have the wt/bal with me to verify. The cg will move aft tho that's for sure as the slats weighed 13#. I can't tell any difference in the way it flies, in that respect.
Joe

[quote][b]

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Joe,
I give up! What does EWCG stand for? (EW?)
Les

[quote] From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Joe Spencer
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:58 PM
To: Zenith-List(at)matronics.com
Subject: Zenith-List: VG's

for your 701?
Les

Les
I don't know about the center of lift. The EWCG moved from 12% to 14% MAC if I remember correctly but do not have the wt/bal with me to verify. The cg will move aft tho that's for sure as the slats weighed 13#. I can't tell any difference in the way it flies, in that respect.
Joe

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

ch701builder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

I think that is refering to Empty Weight CG.
Keith

Les Goldner wrote:
Quote:
Joe,
Les

Quote:
From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Joe Spencer
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:58 PM
To: Zenith-List(at)matronics.com (Zenith-List(at)matronics.com)
Subject: VG's

for your 701?
Les

Les
Joe

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
ics.com
.matronics.com/contribution

--
Keith Ashcraft
ITT Industries
Advanced Engineering & Sciences
5009 Centennial Blvd.
Colorado Springs, CO
(719) 599-1787 -- work
(719) 332-4364 -- cell
keith.ashcraft(at)itt.com (keith.ashcraft(at)itt.com)

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

Joe,
Les

empty weight center of gravity
[quote][b]

skyguynca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: VG's Reply with quote

empty weight CG

David Mikesell
230 Theresa Drive, #6
Cloverdale, CA 95425
209-224-4485
skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com (skyguynca(at)skyguynca.com)
www.skyguynca.com
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: