Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

I recently went through three years of fight with the tax man due to a quirk of Zip code zoning and the FAA (apparently in complying with the demand of states who want to tax your airplane) that some of you may want to know about.

The adjacent county has a large city with the typical heavy tax burden on its citizens - three years ago I started receiving a tax notice for some unspecified personal property that supposedly resided in their county.

It took me two years to discover that the personal properly they were trying to tax was indeed my aircraft. Despite correspondence with the tax authorities to the effect that I was not/had never been a resident and did not/never had any personal property in their county. The harassment persisted. I then went to the on-line aircraft registration data and sure enough - the FAA had put my aircraft in their county!!!

To make a long, long story shorter, it turns out that even thought there was no place on the FAA aircraft registration form for county, the FAA decided to added it to your registration record based on your postal zip code. Now, normally that probably works OK, but in my case, and I suspect others out there it turns out my postal zip code is for a town in the adjacent county - yep, the high tax zone. They scanned the FAA registration rolls for their county and got a hit on me.

I finally got the FAA to change my aircraft registration county to the correct county, but am still being pestered by the tax authorities. If this does not change by next tax year, I am considering a harassment lawsuit against the tax authority - Yes, its changed in the FAA records, but it is probably forever embedded in this county's tax computer {:<(.

So the message is - check your aircraft registration data on file at the FAA http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_inquiry.asp

to make certain the information reflects the correct county (or any other pertinent information) for your aircraft (this assumes you want it to reflect the correct information {:>))

FWIW Do Not Archive

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com (eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com)
http://www.andersonee.com
http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#N494BW
http://www.dmack.net/mazda/index.html
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
NationAir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

Ed -

Excellent point. The FAA updates there records much faster now and it is very important to check to see they get it right. This includes your airman record. About 2 years ago they started "red flagging" registrations that were not completed properly. If a registration is incomplete or has an error they will attach a warning on it. I think (not confirmed) they require any inconsistencies to be cleared up or you could face a violation - not sure how severe, but possible.

While we are on the topic of registrations, everyone should also remember the name and address on your registration should match your insurance policy. It makes it that much easier in the event of a claim or loss.

$0.02 from the insurance guy.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

NationAir Aviation Insurance
www.nationair.com
n616tb(at)btsapps.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I just checked mine and sure enough they have the wrong county on mine as well. My address is actually the neighbor town where the post office is, but I actually live in a different town and county.

What did you have to do to cause the FAA to correct the record?
Do Not Archive
Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ed Anderson
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 3:36 PM
To: RV-List
Subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes

I recently went through three years of fight with the tax man due to a quirk of Zip code zoning and the FAA (apparently in complying with the demand of states who want to tax your airplane) that some of you may want to know about.

The adjacent county has a large city with the typical heavy tax burden on its citizens - three years ago I started receiving a tax notice for some unspecified personal property that supposedly resided in their county.

It took me two years to discover that the personal properly they were trying to tax was indeed my aircraft. Despite correspondence with the tax authorities to the effect that I was not/had never been a resident and did not/never had any personal property in their county. The harassment persisted. I then went to the on-line aircraft registration data and sure enough - the FAA had put my aircraft in their county!!!

To make a long, long story shorter, it turns out that even thought there was no place on the FAA aircraft registration form for county, the FAA decided to added it to your registration record based on your postal zip code. Now, normally that probably works OK, but in my case, and I suspect others out there it turns out my postal zip code is for a town in the adjacent county - yep, the high tax zone. They scanned the FAA registration rolls for their county and got a hit on me.

I finally got the FAA to change my aircraft registration county to the correct county, but am still being pestered by the tax authorities. If this does not change by next tax year, I am considering a harassment lawsuit against the tax authority - Yes, its changed in the FAA records, but it is probably forever embedded in this county's tax computer {:<(.

So the message is - check your aircraft registration data on file at the FAA http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_inquiry.asp

to make certain the information reflects the correct county (or any other pertinent information) for your aircraft (this assumes you want it to reflect the correct information {:>))

FWIW Do Not Archive

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com (eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com)
http://www.andersonee.com
http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#N494BW
http://www.dmack.net/mazda/index.html
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

rv7(at)b4.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

On 14:32 2008-01-25 "Tim Bryan" <n616tb(at)btsapps.com> wrote:
Quote:
I just checked mine and sure enough they have the wrong county on
mine as well. My address is actually the neighbor town where the
post office is, but I actually live in a different town and county.

Make sure the correct one has a lower tax rate before you switch... Smile

-Rob

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

Tim, someplace on the FAA cite there is an e mail form to contact the airman's registration branch. However, here is the e mail address from which I was contacted by the FAA and told they had corrected the error. You might try it or search their site - I can't seem to locate the e mail form on a quick look.

9-AMC-AFS750-Aircraft/AMC/FAA(at)FAA ([email]9-AMC-AFS750-Aircraft/AMC/FAA(at)FAA[/email])

Ed
[quote] ---

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

-List message posted by: "Rob Prior" <rv7(at)b4.ca>
Quote:

On 14:32 2008-01-25 "Tim Bryan" <n616tb(at)btsapps.com> wrote:
> I just checked mine and sure enough they have the wrong county on
> mine as well. My address is actually the neighbor town where the
> post office is, but I actually live in a different town and county.

Make sure the correct one has a lower tax rate before you switch... Smile

-Rob

A good point Rob, had not the county I resided in with my aircraft not had

a much lower tax rate - I, urhmm... might not been as vigorous in having the
record corrected {:>). But, ultimately, you could have two tax authorities
after your $$$. In several local counties, the local government has sent
forms to each airport manager requiring them to list all aircraft that
reside on the airport. My airport manager recently received such a form and
apparently feels legally bound to comply with it.

Ed

robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

On a similar note... several years back I started receiving property tax
notices for a plane I had tied down at our local airport. You know the
typical row of bug smashers left exposed to the elements. It turns out
that every year between 12/15 and 12/31 a tax assessor drives the
airport writing down all tail numbers. I am sure they connect the dots
as to the owners and schedule a property tax bill.
A year later I sold that plane and purchased a big hangar that now has 3
of my 5 planes (don't ask...) I have never received a tax bill for these
aircraft simply because my N Numbers are out of sight.
Basically all the small, relatively inexpensive aircraft owners are
being taxed while all the expensive iron sitting in their comfy, clean
hangars get a free ride.
Obviously some of the hangar owners are paying the proper aircraft taxes
but who knows.
We need a radically simplified tax system.

Robin
Panel almost here!
Do Not Archive

Bob Perkinson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

How about No Tax, at all. We now pay tax upon tax, tax on the fuel we burn, tax on the truck the delivers the fuel, tax on the fuel that the trucked used to bring the fuel, tax on the tires that the truck that delivered the fuel. the refinery that produced the fuel is taxed, along with the men and equipment that is used to make the fuel. Taxed on the raw fuel so as to be able to bring it into the country. not to mention all the other taxes that are applied to some of the avionics, some where their prob is a break down of how much tax and the percentages played would the value be.

do not archive
Bob perkinson
-------------- Original message ----------------------
Quote:

On a similar note... several years back I started receiving property tax
notices for a plane I had tied down at our local airport. You know the
typical row of bug smashers left exposed to the elements. It turns out
that every year between 12/15 and 12/31 a tax assessor drives the
A year later I sold that plane and purchased a big hangar that now has 3
of my 5 planes (don't ask...) I have never received a tax bill for these
aircraft simply because my N Numbers are out of sight.
hangars get a free ride.
Obviously some of the hangar owners are paying the proper aircraft taxes
but who knows.

Robin
Panel almost here!
Do Not Archive

mbick(at)carolina.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

> -Rob
>
A good point Rob, had not the county I resided in with my aircraft not had
a much lower tax rate - I, urhmm... might not been as vigorous in having the
record corrected {:>). But, ultimately, you could have two tax authorities
after your $$$. In several local counties, the local government has sent
forms to each airport manager requiring them to list all aircraft that
reside on the airport. My airport manager recently received such a form and
apparently feels legally bound to comply with it.

Ed

I know the evil airport manager Ed refers to .. Smile Yes sadly I am legally bound to report it or the airport is responsible for the taxes plus 250 fine for each occurrence. I Like Ed for he is a very likable person but I don't like him so much so that I want to pay his taxes for him.
When I received notice I was at first dumbfounded then I was PISSED. I thought why is it I have to do the county's dirty work? I called a lawyer and I contacted a federal authority for surely this insanity could not be true. They both said yes and pointed to the NC statue (G.S.105-316 subsection a 3) and the fact that it has been upheld since the 50’s. Like boat storage owners and mobile home parks, the county doesn't want you to hide your assets and wants their money. The Irony in this, you realize a Private Airport Owner has to collect information for and pay taxes that will not be providing any assistance to the private owner and to be used to compete against them making all but impossible to run a private/public airport unless they have owned the land for years. But that is a whole other thread and I am sure Private Airport owners are not alone.
I went on to contact the county tax manager explaining to her that there was no need for me to supply that, for the information was already there and she told me: "I don't have access to that". I explained to her everyone has access to that. The FAA puts the information (albeit sometimes incorrect) up on their web site for everyone to query. She said that is not the way they do it and to send in the hand written form they sent to me.
I hated doing so for I caught a lot of grief from a few for asking for it, some flat out refused to do so. I can't blame them for it is really none of my business but the government makes me do so. So Ed I apologize for that. Smile

Mike
[quote][b]

Bob Collins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

Easily arranged. All you have to do is decide what services you personally
receive that you're willing to give up and start making calls. Folks usually
want to take away something others are getting, but it'd be more effective
if folks organize to give back benefits they receive.
Do not archive.

How about No Tax, at all. We now pay tax upon tax, tax on the fuel we
burn, tax on the truck the delivers the fuel, tax on the fuel that the
trucked used to bring the fuel, tax on the tires that the truck that
delivered the fuel. the refinery that produced the fuel is taxed, along with
the men and equipment that is used to make the fuel. Taxed on the raw fuel
so as to be able to bring it into the country. not to mention all the other
taxes that are applied to some of the avionics, some where their prob is a
break down of how much tax and the percentages played would the value be.

do not archive
Bob perkinson
-------------- Original message ----------------------
Quote:

On a similar note... several years back I started receiving property
tax notices for a plane I had tied down at our local airport. You know
the typical row of bug smashers left exposed to the elements. It turns
out that every year between 12/15 and 12/31 a tax assessor drives the
A year later I sold that plane and purchased a big hangar that now has
3 of my 5 planes (don't ask...) I have never received a tax bill for
these aircraft simply because my N Numbers are out of sight.
hangars get a free ride.
Obviously some of the hangar owners are paying the proper aircraft
taxes but who knows.

Robin
Panel almost here!
Do Not Archive

http://rvnewsletter.blogspot.com/
Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

No Problem, Mike.

If I did refer to the "Evil" airport manager it was an unintentionally slip {:>) - actually, our airport manage is not a bad guy - even if he wouldn't pay my taxes.

Ed
[quote] ---

n343fd(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

"wants their money"

I would it is not there money it is YOURS and they TAKE/steal it!

Mike Divan
N64GH - RV6,flying Smile
SLOW 7 Builder Sad
EAA - 577486
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!

---

Bob Collins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: The FAA, County of Regsistration,Zip Code and Taxes Reply with quote

// I would it is not there money it is YOURS and they TAKE/steal it!

// FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!

Couldn't ignore the irony (g)

do not arcxhive

[quote][b]

http://rvnewsletter.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: