Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regular Unleaded
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucien

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

So Lar, not to change the subject, but what are you going to do with your mark III out at KSAF?

Dunno if you ever get out to the airport but I try to keep an eye on it, as I'm out at the airport all the time... I usually stroll by to make sure nothing's hit it or anything's walked off....

Sure would be great to have another flying light a/c out there, only a couple of us at this point. And that plane would be a sight. The controllers just loved the FS II when I had it....

LS

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

biglar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

It appears that it might start warming up a bit soon, and I'll be out
there to start cleaning it up and preparing for a new engine. Anyone
want to buy 5 acres with a tremendous view in Yucca Valley, CA ?? Price
is dropping for a quick sale. Smile When that sells, the new engine
will soon come along.

I still need answers to the questions in my original
post. Lar.

lucien wrote:
Quote:

So Lar, not to change the subject, but what are you going to do with your mark III out at KSAF?

Dunno if you ever get out to the airport but I try to keep an eye on it, as I'm out at the airport all the time... I usually stroll by to make sure nothing's hit it or anything's walked off....

Sure would be great to have another flying light a/c out there, only a couple of us at this point. And that plane would be a sight. The controllers just loved the FS II when I had it....

LS

--------
LS
FS II

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=160510#160510

--
Larry Bourne
Santa Fe, NM
Building Kolb Mk III
"Vamoose"
www.gogittum.com
www.gogittum.com/blog

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

"Vamoose"
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

Folks we had that discussion a couple of years ago. What I've done back then is take a bunch of nitrile o-rings and some other rubber parts including silicon and stuck them in a jar of E-85. There has not been any observed degradation in two years.
What does it mean, I am not sure but some alcohol does not seem to destroy the regular rubber stuff that we buy in automotive stores. I guess we can start buying viton O-rings during replacements and that would solve the alcohol concerns.

Ron (Arizona)

=======================
---- Dana Hague <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net> wrote:

=============

At 06:57 PM 1/24/2008, Ben Ransom wrote:

Quote:
Do you have specific concerns wrt ethanol in a 2-stroke?
I've been using 91 octane mogas, sometimes with ethanol. I've not been
aware of any problems other than if gas gets older than a couple months
the engine is hard to start and I don't trust it. I've assumed gas goes
stale mostly because of other ingredients, not ethanol.

There are concerns about ethanol's compatibility with rubber parts such as
seals, fuel pumps, and carburetor parts.

Gas goes stale because some of the more volatile components evaporate
out. That's one reason I use avgas in my Cuyuna (that and concerns about
alcohol); avgas is much better controlled as to vapor pressure so it stores
much better... I believe it's supposed to remain good for 2 years.

-Dana
--
The gene pool has no lifeguard.
--
kugelair.com

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

In Newzealand I think we use the RON system. I have always either used 91
lead free or avgas or a mixture of both . 500 plus hrs on 503s no problems.
Only difference is that the 503 seems to run cooler on avgas and idle a
little smoother .No performance difference.
Tony
MK111 classic

---

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

I have used both regular and supreme (premium) in my 503. The regular seems to give me a little lower EGT's (about 40-50deg). I use regular when I know the fuel will not be sitting in the tank for an extended period. I use the premium when my schedule is hectic or the weather is iffy and I don't know when I will get to fly next. I fill up after every flight to keep the tank full to prevent condensation. I also use Sta-Bil as Larry C. mentioned. It does a great job; even the left over premix in my empty cans smells fresh after several months.

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/24/2008 1:19:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jim(at)tru-cast.com writes:
Quote:
Late last fall and during a couple short flights this winter I used Regular unleaded with no problems. Does anybody else out there use regular unleaded? Ever had any problems?

--------
Jim
N. Idaho

Hi Jim,
I have been using 87 octane in my 503 with no problem...just fly and use it up...if you let it set around along time it will lose some octane....Just set it on a 2 cycle forum at the sport expo, Phil Lockwood put it on and he confirmed it...

Jim swan firestar ll and enjoy flying it. michigan

do not archive

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

Steve Garvelink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

You guys need to start looking very closely at your fuel suppliers a lot are
adding 10% ethanol to there fuel. Recently all of the pantry kangaroo
stores in Tennessee started adding 10% to there stores. I am not sure if
this is every where they are but they have 1600 stores nation wide.

Srglink

--

jim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular Unleaded Reply with quote

Six months ago I called the Distributor for Exxon/Mobil in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and the owner confirmed they do not add ethanol locally for Exxon/Mobil stations. He did say thay added 10% to the regular for a local independent gas station and sold it as mid-grade at the same price as their regular. Adding a minimum of 10% gets them tax breaks and they are able to sell the oxygenated regular as mid-grade for the same price as their regular unleaded.

He said fuel with 10% ethanol or more is required to be labeled at the pump in Idaho. He also said nobody in his area (N Idaho) adds <10% ethanol because then they don't get the tax break.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: