Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

"Possums" at 07:27 AM 1/28/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

The thing is that after Jan 31, your fat ultralight will stand out a lot more that it use to "without N-numbers". Use to be hardly anyone had them, even the two seaters. Now - you will be a lot more conspicuous out there on the tarmac.

They will stand out and it will be difficult to make friends with pilots who have gone though the process as they know who is illegal and may not say anything to cause trouble. When the ultralight pilot that flies that 400 lb machine starts bragging about his pilot skills and how he avoided going through all that "hoop-jumping" is when it will get "testy".

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
indyaviator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Quote:
They will stand out and it will be difficult to make friends with pilots who have gone though the process as they know who is illegal and may not say anything to cause trouble.

Where is all of this "Follow the rules exactly" attitude coming from all of a sudden?  It seems to me that the vast majority of folks flying on the 2 seat exemption were not following the rules for many years. Everyone knew it, nobody cared. How many of the 2 place pilots were using them only for training flights? When I wanted to find an instructor, I called more than  a dozen pilots on the exemption list before finding someone actually using their plane to train. Now that the 2 place guys are legal, it seems that many have adapted a different outlook. A 275lb Firestar is no more or less legal after January 31st than it was before. I find it interesting that pilots who decide not to transition are being "cast out" by the same community that have been flying under the radar for years. I truly feel that if the FAA does crack down on fat single place UL's, it will be because of the complaints of pilots that did make the transition, not because the FAA really wants more enforcement. Sad.

P.S. I'm sure someone is going to point out that there is no longer such a thing as a fat UL. My answer is...... from a legal stand point, there never was.

Bryan D
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lucien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

[quote="indyaviator(at)gmail.com"]
Quote:
They will stand out and it will be difficult to make friends with pilots who have gone though the process as they know who is illegal and may not say anything to cause trouble.

Where is all of this "Follow the rules exactly" attitude coming from all of a sudden?� It seems to me that the vast majority of folks flying on the 2 seat exemption were not following the rules for many years. Everyone knew it, nobody cared. How many of the 2 place pilots were using them only for training flights? When I wanted to find an instructor, I called more than� a dozen pilots on the exemption list before finding someone actually using their plane to train. Now that the 2 place guys are legal, it seems that many have adapted a different outlook. A 275lb Firestar is no more or less legal after January 31st than it was before. I find it interesting that pilots who decide not to transition are being "cast out" by the same community that have been flying under the radar for years. I truly feel that if the FAA does crack down on fat single place UL's, it will be because of the complaints of pilots that did make the transition, not because the FAA really wants more enforcement. Sad.

P.S. I'm sure someone is going to point out that there is no longer such a thing as a fat UL. My answer is...... from a legal stand point, there never was.

Bryan D
Quote:
[b]

If you read the forward to the original SP NPRM, there were repeated references to "fat-UL" and "fat ultralights" - the recognition being that, though illegal, a "fat-UL" had a kind of status and there was a cottage industry in US light aircraft supporting them.

This is really kind of how America works - bad or useless laws tend not to bring on the maximum possible punishment for every concievable infraction and we should be very glad that this is so. Instead, they are eventually amended to be either more appropriate or enforceable (or both).

Now, it's interesting that the original writers of SP were actually sensitive to this aspect of "fat-UL"; the original effort was a rule set that was appropriate for this class of aircraft to get legal and have at least some minimal standards of construction, etc., to insure at least some minimal standard of safety.

The rule that eventually resulted did NOT turn out that way for a variety of reasons, but it could have if it'd stuck to its original intent.

SP was promulgated NOT because of abuse of the existing system or because of problems with public safety, but a) because FnAA did not or could not enforce its own rules and b) apparently because of special interest pressure.

History is our best teacher on this and hopefully we'll all learn from it the next time something like this comes around...

LS

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

I decided to take the opportunity to legitimize my unregistered aircraft
and quit looking over my shoulder.
Quote:

> --------

Quote:
Roger in Oregon

Roger H:

Exactly the way I felt flying my US and FS. Both were too fat, too fast, and
way too much fuel. Always had that nagging, uncomfortable feeling that all
was not right. What a tremendous feeling of relief and peace when I
registered my mkIII, got a private ticket, and started flying legally. No
more looking over my shoulder all the time, or for that matter, any time.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
bransom(at)ucdavis.edu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Seems like you're suggesting everyone should be okay with individuals
deciding what acceptable risk is, such as driving 58 and/or flying 15
lbs over. Or is it 16, or in reality 25? That might be kinda fun, and
then maybe 10gallons and an occasional passenger should be fun too.
Perhaps the counter to this is that you are simply asking for common
sense. Well that's great too, but I think you gotta admit the UL thing
got way out of whack. So rules, with clear definitions, are necessary.

I have the impression that most of the aviation community is glad to
have the whole thing clarified. The only way to keep it clear is to
occasionally ramp check and fine someone "pushing the limits",
regardless of whatever their "good judgement" may be. Same
non-hypocritical reason I'm glad to see a cop pull over some free spirit
(aka fill-in-the-blank) on the road. I also agree with the other
comments that I'm tired of flying looking over my shoulder, which in one
real example meant my high-minded airport manager could have kicked me
out. With an N number he's gotta welcome me just like the King Air.
Now that I think is pretty fun.
-Ben

JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

Well, if the law says 55, then thats it. Better not drive at 58 MPH, and if due to advances in cars, the 55 limit needs to be changed, then legislation should be introduced, don't pretend it does not exist. Sound familiar ???

You are much more likely to do harm to property and life by speeding than by being 15 pounds overweight in with your ultralight. As for image, no one will ever know if your ultralight is 15 pounds overweight or not, its far easier for others to see you speeding.

When you get the emotion of aviation out of the picture and apply the same standard to every day life, its just plain stupid and hypocritical to worry about 15 pounds overweight in an ultralight and then drive 3 MPH over the speed limit or more on a regular basis and think its OK.

You seem to have some issues with being consistent, and even more importantly, you are unable to recognize which is more important and more likely to result in damage to property and others, which is the basis for ALL these rules we live by.

Mike

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Ralph B wrote:

. When the ultralight pilot that flies that 400 lb machine starts bragging about his pilot skills and how he avoided going through all that "hoop-jumping" is when it will get "testy".

I never talked about 400 pounds or two seats, I very clearly said 15 pounds which is 6 %, which is the entire point of what I have been saying. If you cant read a couple numbers and figure out a very simple point, then you are not the brightest bulb in the bunch...

The statement that " 15 pounds overweight is going to Stand Out ". A 15 pound ultralight wont stand out any more than the guy going 58 MPH instead of 55 MPH. Can you tell if an ultralight is 15 pounds overweight just by looking at it ? So how does that qualify as " Standing out " ??? So your statement that a 15 pound overweight ultralight would stand out and make everyone look bad is nothing short of ridiculous.

Bottom line here , is that only emotional, not so intelligent people get worked up and anal about aviation, while ignoring the fact that they themselves do the same thing on an everyday basis in their cars, where there are far greater risks of hurting someone.

Richard Pike wrote:

The FSDO guy is not
going to be interested in your likelihood of doing greater damage to
life and property because you are 15 pounds overweight, his job is to
enforce the law as written, so IMO, your comparison to driving 15 over
the speed limit is irrelevant to the issue.

The traffic laws are written for 55 MPH on some roads, so do you think the cop is going to care if you were only 6 % over, which is 3 MPH, but according to you, his job is to enforce the law as written according to your logic, and use no good judgment. I guarantee you if you got a ticket for going only 3 MPH over the limit, you would be bitching about it and saying how " stupid " the cop was.

No difference for the person that has a problem with 6 % over weight ultralight, worrying about an extra 15 pounds its just plain stupid...

So maybe some of you should go tell all your friends that drive cars that they are illegal, irresponsible, and making everyone look bad if they go 3 MPH over the posted limit. After all, the law is the law... See what kind of reception you get.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Mike, you really need to relax and take more deep breaths -

Irrespective of whether or not I think a cop is stupid for writing a ticket if I am only 3 over, his job is to enforce the law, not be a judge. I don't want a cop who acts as judge, because then he might judge to ignore his buddy doing whatever, while he busts some guy (like me) whose look he doesn't like. He might even decide that being judge is not enough, and decide to become the executioner as well.

I don't want cops or FSDO guys to be judges, I want them to uphold the law. Years ago, I read that the best way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them 100%. An enraged populace will then throw out the bums that made them. Which could improve much of what's wrong with this country at present...

I really find it amusing that you assume I would tell my friends that drive cars 3 over that they are illegal and irresponsible. I guess you failed to process what I said about local county commissioners, idiotically posted 25 mph roads and Uncle Fester. Or my indifference to those who break idiotic rules as long as they are willing to pay the piper. And that is not hypocrisy, or mere talk. Check the pictures of my non-Kolb toys. Do you really think I worry about 3 over? <grin> I act like any rational 61 year old ought to act, and if the Cops find me to be remiss in my actions, (so far so good...) then that's what traffic court is for.

PS: Dude, you really need to lighten up. Or maybe fewer Gummy Worms and red Kool-Aid...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Big Bike (Large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.13 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

Big Bike (Large).jpg

P1020698 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.82 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

P1020698 (Large).JPG

P1020693 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.42 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

P1020693 (Large).JPG

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Jetpilot, please don't jump all over Ralph B when he makes an
innocent comment about a HYPOTHETICAL pilot in a 400lb 'ultralight'
Every reader must know he was kidding about the 400lbs -- we all know
what he meant,
and he wasn't expecting anyone to take him literally

On Jan 28, 2008, at 8:41 PM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:

Ralph B wrote:
> . When the ultralight pilot that flies that 400 lb machine starts
> bragging about his pilot skills and how he avoided going through
> all that "hoop-jumping" is when it will get "testy".
I never talked about 400 pounds or two seats, I very clearly said
15 pounds which is 6 %, which is the entire point of what I have
been saying. If you cant read a couple numbers and figure out a
very simple point, then you are not the brightest bulb in the bunch...

The statement that " 15 pounds overweight is going to Stand Out
". A 15 pound ultralight wont stand out any more than the guy
going 58 MPH instead of 55 MPH. Can you tell if an ultralight is
15 pounds overweight just by looking at it ? So how does that
qualify as " Standing out " ??? So your statement that a 15 pound
overweight ultralight would stand out and make everyone look bad is
nothing short of ridiculous.

Bottom line here , is that only emotional, not so intelligent
people get worked up and anal about aviation, while ignoring the
fact that they themselves do the same thing on an everyday basis in
their cars, where there are far greater risks of hurting someone.
Richard Pike wrote:
> The FSDO guy is not
> going to be interested in your likelihood of doing greater damage to
> life and property because you are 15 pounds overweight, his job is to
> enforce the law as written, so IMO, your comparison to driving 15
> over
> the speed limit is irrelevant to the issue.
The traffic laws are written for 55 MPH on some roads, so do you
think the cop is going to care if you were only 6 % over, which is
3 MPH, but according to you, his job is to enforce the law as
written according to your logic, and use no good judgment. I
guarantee you if you got a ticket for going only 3 MPH over the
limit, you would be bitching about it and saying how " stupid " the
cop was.

No difference for the person that has a problem with 6 % over
weight ultralight, worrying about an extra 15 pounds its just plain
stupid...

So maybe some of you should go tell all your friends that drive
cars that they are illegal, irresponsible, and making everyone look
bad if they go 3 MPH over the posted limit. After all, the law is
the law... See what kind of reception you get.

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast
as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=160957#160957

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Please, guys, take it outside. Enough of this is way too much. As is often asked by someone or other, what is there about Kolbs here?

Rick
Do not archive
do not repeat
do not pass go
do not collect $200
do not forsake me oh my darling................

On Jan 28, 2008 8:23 PM, Richard Pike <richard(at)bcchapel.org (richard(at)bcchapel.org)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <richard(at)bcchapel.org (richard(at)bcchapel.org)>

Mike, you really need to relax and take more deep breaths -

Irrespective of whether or not I think a cop is stupid for writing a ticket if I am only 3 over, his job is to enforce the law, not be a judge. I don't want a cop who acts as judge, because then he might judge to ignore his buddy doing whatever, while he busts some guy (like me) whose look he doesn't like. He might even decide that being judge is not enough, and decide to become the executioner as well.

I don't want cops or FSDO guys to be judges, I want them to uphold the law. Years ago, I read that the best way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them 100%. An enraged populace will then throw out the bums that made them. Which could improve much of what's wrong with this country at present...

I really find it amusing that you assume I would tell my friends that drive cars 3 over that they are illegal and irresponsible. I guess you failed to process what I said about local county commissioners, idiotically posted 25 mph roads and Uncle Fester. Or my indifference to those who break idiotic rules as long as they are willing to pay the piper. And that is not hypocrisy, or mere talk. Check the pictures of my non-Kolb toys. Do you really think I worry about 3 over? I act like any rational 61 year old ought to act, and if the Cops find me to be remiss in my actions, (so far so good...) then that's what traffic court is for.

PS: Dude, you really need to lighten up. Or maybe fewer Gummy Worms and red Kool-Aid...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=160970#160970

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/big_bike_large_782.jpg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/p1020698_large_146.jpg
[quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Before I stumbled upon this discussion list I briefly attended a
generic ultralight list (maybe yahoo?)
After expressing my anticipation for the proposed SP rule, I was
called several unkind names.
Seems they didn't want to jump even the lowest hurdles to legality.
From my viewpoint, a PP,seeing
the onset of senile decrepitude, it was a welcome change.

All ya gotta do is build a 254# airplane. Lots of them have been
built so it is possible.
I think I want to build an ultralight canoe first.
BB
do not archive

On 28, Jan 2008, at 6:50 PM, Ben Ransom wrote:

Quote:

Seems like you're suggesting everyone should be okay with
individuals deciding what acceptable risk is, such as driving 58
and/or flying 15 lbs over. Or is it 16, or in reality 25? That
might be kinda fun, and then maybe 10gallons and an occasional
passenger should be fun too. Perhaps the counter to this is that
you are simply asking for common sense. Well that's great too, but
I think you gotta admit the UL thing got way out of whack. So
rules, with clear definitions, are necessary.

I have the impression that most of the aviation community is glad
to have the whole thing clarified. The only way to keep it clear
is to occasionally ramp check and fine someone "pushing the
limits", regardless of whatever their "good judgement" may be.
Same non-hypocritical reason I'm glad to see a cop pull over some
free spirit (aka fill-in-the-blank) on the road. I also agree with
the other comments that I'm tired of flying looking over my
shoulder, which in one real example meant my high-minded airport
manager could have kicked me out. With an N number he's gotta
welcome me just like the King Air. Now that I think is pretty fun.
-Ben

JetPilot wrote:
>
> Well, if the law says 55, then thats it. Better not drive at 58
> MPH, and if due to advances in cars, the 55 limit needs to be
> changed, then legislation should be introduced, don't pretend it
> does not exist. Sound familiar ???
>
> You are much more likely to do harm to property and life by
> speeding than by being 15 pounds overweight in with your
> ultralight. As for image, no one will ever know if your
> ultralight is 15 pounds overweight or not, its far easier for
> others to see you speeding.
> When you get the emotion of aviation out of the picture and apply
> the same standard to every day life, its just plain stupid and
> hypocritical to worry about 15 pounds overweight in an ultralight
> and then drive 3 MPH over the speed limit or more on a regular
> basis and think its OK.
>
> You seem to have some issues with being consistent, and even more
> importantly, you are unable to recognize which is more important
> and more likely to result in damage to property and others, which
> is the basis for ALL these rules we live by.
>
> Mike

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

I guess I stirred the pot a little. Here is what I'm trying to do. After looking very closely at the Firestar, I got the impression that the previous owner was a little slack on his maintenance. Castle nuts with no cotter pins, safety wire missing, a bunch of bent spare landing gear, the ASI static hose had fallen off- he commented the speed reading was 20mph off, and so forth. I would rather make my own mistakes, than wonder about what I haven't found. So, if I have to thoroughly go over it, I may as well get as close to legal as common sense dictates. If there is a conflict between law and common sense, go with the common sense. I am going to be training on a grass field, so the soft turf tires are going to stay. No reason to get hurt over a couple of pounds weight. Same thing for the full enclosure- no distractions. The ten gallon tank is eventually going to be replaced, as I don't like the color of the plastic- looks too old. Do these things get brittle? The gas cap did, and I fixed it with some hot glue. It will be replaced with a five gallon, when convenient.
One thing no one mentioned regarding weight- I am about 170 dressed, and my wife is about 50 pounds heavier. I would think the powers that be would be more interested in whether the gross weight is being exceeded instead of a couple of pounds over. Luckily, the Firestar is capable of the difference.
Next question- The Mark III pictures (nice) show the tail wheel being about at the center of the rudder. A picture of Ellery's showed about the same. Mine is much closer to the rear of the rudder. Since mine has to be re-worked (a little twisted, and worn cable hole) should I shorten the strut, or does it matter? The tail wheel is all worn on the left side.
By the way, when I was in the trucking business, we worried more about "Was it safe",
more than "Is it a couple of pounds over".
Bill Sullivan (old Firestar)
[quote][b]

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Bill

First and foremost safety IS your major concern. What you do about the planes over weight condition is your business but if you get caught don't come crying to us. If your going to fly it as a ultralight there are some red flags you really should look out for. If you have two seats get rid of one. It you have more than a 5 gallon tank change it to one 5 gallon tank. I for one can't tell a firestar from a firefly without seeing two seats or two five gallon tanks so change the name to a firefly.

There, I think I said that without sticking my foot in my mouth like I did on my last post.

Do not archive

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

First of all, not your fault about what this has turned into, you asked a very legitimate question and as much as we might bicker, no one is going to hold you responsaible !

I'm glad you are going to do what is right for you, and keep your plane as strong as you need it. The 10 gallons is a bit much, and a very obvious violation in both the letter and spirit of the law, I would change that. Exceeding something by 6 % is nothing, exceeding by 100 % is another matter Smile Of course, Richard Pike will probably want to take the gas out of your new tank, and if it is a pint over 5 gallons, tell you to change it as you are still illegal hahaha. Anyways, do what is safe, but keep your plane strong and durable, trying to shave to much weight off leads to shortcuts that can be dangerous.

As far as the tailwheel, call Kolb and ask them what it is supposed to be. I know some people cut the long tailwheel strut shorter on the MK III, but I would never do that. That tailwheel rod is the shock absorber for the tial of the plane, shortening it will subject the tail, and its support structure to much more shock loads on the ground and could eventually make something more important fail. I have an extra tail rod if mine ever bends....

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Bill,

The FAA set some max and stall speed limits for the ultra light vehicle as
well as fuel capacity and empty weight limits. The last two are easily
verified on the ground, where as, the speed limits are not. To get around
this problem the FAA came up with a set of design conditions, so that if
they were met, you can fly above both speed limits and remain legal. They
published these design conditions as AC 103-7 Appendix 1, 2, 3 & 4.

I have filled out a copy of these documents and carry them with me to
fly-ins. If the FAA wants to ramp check my FireFly, they are considered
sufficient proof that it is legal. If you would like to review the
documents, they can be found at:

http://www.thirdshift.com/jack/firefly/fireflylegal.html

On the subject of illegal flying I am neutral. I have known pilots who have
let their medicals lapse or who have lost there medical and continue to fly.
They fly from pastures and non-controlled airports. Most everyone knows
who they are, and no one says a thing because everyone knows they are going
to get old too. The ultra light vehicle is a way out for these folks. The
pilots I worry about are high confidence low hour pilots, who like low and
slow. Some of their rank will be lost no matter what they fly or their
licence status.

Fly safe,

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

olendorf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project, also. Reply with quote

Quote:
... The ten gallon tank is eventually going to be replaced, as I don't like the color of the plastic- looks too old. Do these things get brittle? The gas cap did ... Bill Sullivan (old Firestar)

Yes, the gas tanks get brittle. When I cracked the cap on my tank I thought that if the cap is brittle the tank must be too. I tested it by pushing my thumb on the top corner and it went right through. So absolutely replace it.

Do you still have the fiberglass tailwheel rod? You probably do especially if your tailwheel is wearing on one side. If you do I would suggest you get an aluminum rod and replace it. You will need to heat the steel to soften the epoxy to remove the old one.

I have the original blueprints and manual if you need some info I can photograph some sections and send them to you.

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Richard Pike wrote:

I don't want cops or FSDO guys to be judges, I want them to uphold the law.
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Richard,

Worrying about 15 pounds over in an ultralight is about as uptight as you can get. As far as cops go, judgment is an essential part of their job, I'm glad most are fair and reasonable. If cops charged people for every non consequential way in which we broke the law, be it 3 MPH over, signaling for 4.8 seconds instead of 5, this world would be a horrible place to live. Thank god most cops don't think like you do.

I think anyone reading this thread can now see where you are coming from. So if you believe the smallest inconsequential transgression should be prosecuted, and if you believe that everyone driving 58 in a 55 zone should be cited and prosecuted, then by all means make sure your ultralight is not even one pound over weight, and also while you are at it, do a precise measurement of the capacity of the gas tank, after all, the sides might have bulged, and the new capacity might be one pint over 5 gallons, which would be about 6 % over, and after all, the law says a capacity 5 gallons no more !

Richard, whenever you ride in a car with your friends, make sure you start telling them that they are breaking the law and should slow down if you see them going 3 MPH over the speed limit, you might learn something by their reactions Smile. Learn some judgment and common sense, its important in life, and even more important in flying ....

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

> As far as the tailwheel, call Kolb and ask them what it is supposed to
be. I know some people cut the long tailwheel strut shorter on the MK III,
but I would never do that. That tailwheel rod is the shock absorber for
the tial of the plane, shortening it will subject the tail, and its support
structure to much more shock loads on the ground and could eventually make
something more important fail. I have an extra tail rod if mine ever
bends....
Quote:

Mike

Mike B:

I like a short tail wheel strut. Much more positive control on the ground.
To top that off, I don't use the 7075 aluminum rod, but .120" 4130 heat
treated to RC48. Probably more gentle on the tail section than the standard
Kolb buggy whip aluminum rod.

Yes, I have torn up the tail section more times than I would like to admit,
because it is a major job to remove and repair. I don't believe the short
stiff tail wheel strut is responsible for the failures, but the 100+ lbs of
weight on the tailwheel caused by shifting my main gear 8" forward.
Plus..........a lot of hours in more than ideal "putting green" conditions.
We've got the tail section problem corrected and have not had any problems
back there in many, many hours.

As far as recommending some one break the law and encourage new guys to fly
illegally, I do not agree with that. I feel the Kolb List is not the
correct place to coach folks on how to successfully fly illegal airplanes.
Might be a good idea to take this kind of correspondence back copy. If you
all disagree with me, fine, but that is the way I feel about the situation.

In nearly 40 years flying professionally and flying Kolbs, I don't recall
approval of exceeding limits or busting regs by Army or civilian
authorities. Do I always fly around like Miss Goody, Goody Two Shoes? Not
hardly, but I ain't gonna encourage anyone else to do it. Have fun, fly
safe.

Take care,

john h
My mkIII - Flying legal for the past 16 years, 2,734.0 hrs. Plan on putting
a lot more hours on her.
My US and FS - 1,520.0 hours flown illegally.
Other's legal and illegal Kolbs - Have to dig out the log books for
that......................

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

you might learn something by their reactions Smile. Learn some judgment and
common sense, its important in life, and even more important in flying ....
Quote:

Mike

Thanks, Mike B:

I am going to take your advice to heart.

john h
mkIII - The new, mellow guy on the block. Wink

Titus, Alabama
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Mike, If you can't quit this diatribe, could you at least relabel it as "BS rant about nothing" or something similar. Some of us would like to hear about Bill's Firestar and not your philosophy.

Rick
do not archive
On Jan 29, 2008 10:22 AM, JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com (orcabonita(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com (orcabonita(at)hotmail.com)>

Richard Pike wrote:
Quote:

I don't want cops or FSDO guys to be judges, I want them to uphold the law.
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Richard,

Worrying about 15 pounds over in an ultralight is about as uptight as you can get. As far as cops go, judgment is an essential part of their job, I'm glad most are fair and reasonable. If cops charged people for every non consequential way in which we broke the law, be it 3 MPH over, signaling for 4.8 seconds instead of 5, this world would be a horrible place to live. Thank god most cops don't think like you do.

I think anyone reading this thread can now see where you are coming from. So if you believe the smallest inconsequential transgression should be prosecuted, and if you believe that everyone driving 58 in a 55 zone should be cited and prosecuted, then by all means make sure your ultralight is not even one pound over weight, and also while you are at it, do a precise measurement of the capacity of the gas tank, after all, the sides might have bulged, and the new capacity might be one pint over 5 gallons, which would be about 6 % over, and after all, the law says a capacity 5 gallons no more !

Richard, whenever you ride in a car with your friends, make sure you start telling them that they are breaking the law and should slow down if you see them going 3 MPH over the speed limit, you might learn something by their reactions Smile. Learn some judgment and common sense, its important in life, and even more important in flying ....

Mike

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=161092#161092
[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

jindoguy(at)gmail.com wrote:
Mike, If you can't quit this diatribe, could you at least relabel it as "BS rant about nothing" or something similar. Some of us would like to hear about Bill's Firestar and not your philosophy.

Rick
do not archive

Well rick, for claiming not to like this subject and not wanting it on the list, you have taken every opportunity to join in. So according to you, its OK for you and people that share your opinion to post and continue this subject ( Richard Pike ), but not others..

Looks like you are one of those " Do as I say , not as I do people ". Very lame.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: