Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy Side Window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne(at)lpwa.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

[quote]
Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone have any close up photos of an installed canopy side window? Does anyone have any experience using the window for personal aerial photography? I would love to hear personal experiences with the side window before placing my order. This is my last question before ordering – so I eagerly await any first hand information available!
Wayne Patterson
Perth Australia
[b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Wayne,
I tried shooting some pics out of the drop window in a Cherokee, which is probably actually a little larger than the sliding window in the Lightning. It didn't work out too well. My problem is that I have a 72mm lense around and 200mm long. That is just too much for the little sliding window. If you're talking about a small handheld digital that might work, but for any pro digital SLR's you're not going to be able to do it. I have had some fair results shooting through the canopies though. For best results I always shot with the sun behind me, in the early morning or evening and tried to shoot through the flattest piece of canopy. (to keep distortion down that you get in the curved pieces) If it's done right you can get no reflection. The results are much more hit and miss though. An alternative would always be an external mount. I worked with a guy for a while doing aerial photography. He had a remote shutter release, tied into a GPS and laptop. It would record position, both on the map and at what altitude and download directly to laptop, shooting times varied, but usually set at about 15 second intervals. He made his own mount, strapped it to the strut of a Cessna, put a rag in between the strut and the mount to keep from scratching it. Nobodies tried yet, but I'm sure that you could do something similar with the gear leg strut on the Lightning. Just angle it and zoom it in enough you don't get any tire in the way or anything. I would still like to see somebody cut a small hole in the belly of the plane and run a line for a camera. Have a clear dome attached to the belly and R/C servo's to pan and tilt the camera. Have a small monitor inside the cockpit and one person could fly while the other worked the camera. I think that you could get some stunning air to air like that! Of course like everything, safety is the issue. It is an experimental though and I don't see any difference in this or coming up with your own mod to help with gear leg shimmy. It's all trial and error. Just make sure whatever you put on is well attached! Brian W

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Wayne(at)lpwa.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Hello Brian
I would be using my SLR but not with the tele lens. The photo of the Goad owned aircraft shows a decent size drop down window (could be the same as the Cherokee?) Is the lightning side window a drop down or a slide? Nick advises that it is probably a standard Piper window being used in the Lightning kit. This is why I would dearly like to see close-up photos of a Lightning fitted window.
Thank you for the feedback Brain
Wayne P

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brian Whittingham
Sent: Wednesday, 30 January 2008 11:49 AM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Lightning-List: Canopy Side Window

Wayne,
I tried shooting some pics out of the drop window in a Cherokee, which is probably actually a little larger than the sliding window in the Lightning. It didn't work out too well. My problem is that I have a 72mm lense around and 200mm long. That is just too much for the little sliding window. If you're talking about a small handheld digital that might work, but for any pro digital SLR's you're not going to be able to do it. I have had some fair results shooting through the canopies though. For best results I always shot with the sun behind me, in the early morning or evening and tried to shoot through the flattest piece of canopy. (to keep distortion down that you get in the curved pieces) If it's done right you can get no reflection. The results are much more hit and miss though. An alternative would always be an external mount. I worked with a guy for a while doing aerial photography. He had a remote shutter release, tied into a GPS and laptop. It would record position, both on the map and at what altitude and download directly to laptop, shooting times varied, but usually set at about 15 second intervals. He made his own mount, strapped it to the strut of a Cessna, put a rag in between the strut and the mount to keep from scratching it. Nobodies tried yet, but I'm sure that you could do something similar with the gear leg strut on the Lightning. Just angle it and zoom it in enough you don't get any tire in the way or anything. I would still like to see somebody cut a small hole in the belly of the plane and run a line for a camera. Have a clear dome attached to the belly and R/C servo's to pan and tilt the camera. Have a small monitor inside the cockpit and one person could fly while the other worked the camera. I think that you could get some stunning air to air like that! Of course like everything, safety is the issue. It is an experimental though and I don't see any difference in this or coming up with your own mod to help with gear leg shimmy. It's all trial and error. Just make sure whatever you put on is well attached! Brian W.

Subject: Canopy Side Window
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:36:24 +0900
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone have any close up photos of an installed canopy side window? Does anyone have any experience using the window for personal aerial photography? I would love to hear personal experiences with the side window before placing my order. This is my last question before ordering – so I eagerly await any first hand information available!
Wayne Patterson
Perth Australia
" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-Listp://forums.matronics.comblank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Wayne,
The Lightning's have come with both a drop down style and a sliding style. It's kind of a personal preference thing. I think that the dropdown probably is the same as a Cherokee, or if not it is very similar in shape and size. It is probably bigger than the sliding if I remember correctly. I'll attach a pic of one of the drop downs. Use Mark's head for size comparison. Looks like you could probably get a good shot out of that if there's not a lot of turbulence or anything. Brian W.
Quote:
Subject: RE: Canopy Side Window
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:17:46 +0900

.ExternalClass .EC_shape{;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}.ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}.ExternalClass EC_div.Section1{page:Section1;}.ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}.ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass p{margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}.ExternalClass pre{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';}.ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle19{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}(at)page Section1{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;}.ExternalClass EC_div.Section1{page:Section1;}
Hello Brian
I would be using my SLR but not with the tele lens. The photo of the Goad owned aircraft shows a decent size drop down window (could be the same as the Cherokee?)  Is the lightning side window a drop down or a slide? Nick advises that it is probably a standard Piper window being used in the Lightning kit. This is why I would dearly like to see close-up photos of a Lightning fitted window.
Thank you for the feedback Brain
Wayne P

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Brian Whittingham
Sent: Wednesday, 30 January 2008 11:49 AM
Subject: RE: Lightning-List: Canopy Side Window

Wayne,
I tried shooting some pics out of the drop window in a Cherokee, which is probably actually a little larger than the sliding window in the Lightning. It didn't work out too well.  My problem is that I have a 72mm lense around and 200mm long. That is just too much for the little sliding window. If you're talking about a small handheld digital that might work, but for any pro digital SLR's you're not going to be able to do it. I have had some fair results shooting through the canopies though. For best results I always shot with the sun behind me, in the early morning or evening and tried to shoot through the flattest piece of canopy. (to keep distortion down that you get in the curved pieces) If it's done right you can get no reflection. The results are much more hit and miss though. An alternative would always be an external mount. I worked with a guy for a while doing aerial photography. He had a remote shutter release, tied into a GPS and laptop. It would record position, both on the map and at what altitude and download directly to laptop, shooting times varied, but usually set at about 15 second intervals. He made his own mount, strapped it to the strut of a Cessna, put a rag in between the strut and the mount to keep from scratching it. Nobodies tried yet, but I'm sure that you could do something similar with the gear leg strut on the Lightning.  Just angle it and zoom it in enough you don't get any tire in the way or anything. I would still like to see somebody cut a small hole in the belly of the plane and run a line for a camera. Have a clear dome attached to the belly and R/C servo's to pan and tilt the camera. Have a small monitor inside the cockpit and one person could fly while the other worked the camera. I think that you could get some stunning air to air like that! Of course like everything, safety is the issue. It is an experimental though and I don't see any difference in this or coming up with your own mod to help with gear leg shimmy. It's all trial and error. Just make sure whatever you put on is well attached! Brian W.

Subject: Lightning-List: Canopy Side Window
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:36:24 +0900
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wayne Patterson
Perth Australia
' target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-Listp://forums.matronics.comblank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your "fix". Check it out.

Clive J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Taking pictures through side windows through little, either sliding or drop down windows is a best restrictive.

Two issues size and location.
For size all professionals like to use a window that opens ala Cessna so trying to line up your camera is easy and you can concentrate of good framing. The drop down is a good size but it will still stop you panning round even for air to air shots if its fitted near the sill. Unless your photographer is short in the seat.

Who fits the windows in a Lightning? The builder?
To poke your camera through it needs to be 'in yer face'.

And then there's the wing.....
I'm not flying my Esqual yet but it will be my first low wing plane and the photographer (wife) is not impressed at all.....I've already thought about Brian's idea but discounted it as too much hassle, so as we do know with the Jabiru will just put up with distortion and reflection.

That brings me to panel color, my panel is all matte black, there are some fancy panels out there in some fancy colors, they must add reflection problems? Or are they at the right angle to be out of shot?

A posting about taking pictures wouldn't be right without a picture or two, the attachment is Ben Nevis, Scotland's biggest mountain, to you guys in the US it's probably just a hill.

Regards, Clive

Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Clive,
In mountains, as with everything, size is relative; that is why my grandpa told me to marry a woman with small hands . . . ya da ya da . . cymbal crash. Old joke - sorry guys.

Re cameras and planes:
We tried many things to get pictures from the air. Most cockpits are too small for maneuvering SLRs, even the small wanna-be SLRs. We tried shooting from the rear of a Seneca with the door off and wind buffeted the camera too much. Then there is the distortion and glazing that the windscreen causes. The best thing that we found was a thing called a lipstick lens attached to the strut of a door-less Kit Fox with florist's clay. The operator could reach out and adjust the lens as necessary. The big problem with this is the definition of the resulting pictures. The lipstick lens was poor quality and we captured still shots from movie clips and then photoshopped the heck out of them. The lipstick lenses may have improved some by now. Also they may have lipstick lenses that will attach to a high res digital SLR. Ideally, there would be a mount outside the cockpit that could be reached by hand. That would be the semi low cost "optimum" in my opinion.

As with everything; enough money can fix it. Clay Lacy has some pretty fancy setups on a Lear for air to air shooting, but that setup would equal the price of many Lightnings.

mark(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Canopy Side Window Reply with quote

Wayne and others,

The canopy side window provided by Arion is a "drop down" window with a spring loaded latch and is similar to a Piper Cherokee side window. It is installed during the manufacturing process - not by the builder. The dimensions are 6.5" wide by 4.5" tall. The aft edge of the window is 16" forward of the rear of the canopy and bottom edge is 5" up from the bottom of the canopy.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Mark
[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: