Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Folks, I didn't write them, but like Joe Friday always said, "The facts, ma'am, just the facts."

(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall, upon request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to determine the applicability of this part.
(b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon request of the Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject only to the provisions of this part.Here's where you can find them:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=60fc6b3fd47a0364348d812a785969a7&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.16&idno=14

Rick
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Thanks for the quote.
Heck I don't remember seeing that before, Not surprising as I have yet to operate under FAR 103 however still even though its worded vaguely (shall, upon
Request, allow the Administrator, or his designee ) and of course on purpose that way. None of us have given away any of out constitutional rights. I rather contest that later in court if they want to than to have them bust me right there and then on a real violation.
What happens if I deny their request, what can they do? Has anyone ever got busted?
It also does not give a time frame as to when one must comply with the request, what happens if I say "come back next week I don't have time for it right now" and then fly off? Where do I even have to tell them who I am or any other information? I agree its better to be within the rules than to have to put up with the Gestapo but we do have the choice of not having to. Remember its a rule not a Law!

Ron (Arizona)

============
---- Richard Girard <jindoguy(at)gmail.com> wrote:

=============
Folks, I didn't write them, but like Joe Friday always said, "The facts,
ma'am, just the facts."

(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall, upon
request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to
determine the applicability of this part.

(b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon request of the
Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject
only to the provisions of this part.
Here's where you can find them:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=60fc6b3fd47a0364348d812a785969a7&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.16&idno=14

Rick

--
kugelair.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Ron
I appreciate your position. We live in the Land of the Free -- we're
free to tangle with the Feds in court, go up against their M OST
talented lawyers, have them jerk us around for several years until
we've spent all our money and a whomping big bunch of time (during
which we can't fly at all) and then lose the case. Count on it.
A disgusting situation but there it is. In my very amateur opinion
On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:58 AM,Ron wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the quote.
Heck I don't remember seeing that before, Not surprising as I have
yet to operate under FAR 103 however still even though its worded
vaguely (shall, upon
Request, allow the Administrator, or his designee ) and of course
on purpose that way. None of us have given away any of out
constitutional rights. I rather contest that later in court if they
want to than to have them bust me right there and then on a real
violation.
What happens if I deny their request, what can they do? Has anyone
ever got busted?
It also does not give a time frame as to when one must comply with
the request, what happens if I say "come back next week I don't
have time for it right now" and then fly off? Where do I even have
to tell them who I am or any other information? I agree its better
to be within the rules than to have to put up with the Gestapo but
we do have the choice of not having to. Remember its a rule not a Law!

Ron (Arizona)

============
---- Richard Girard <jindoguy(at)gmail.com> wrote:

=============
Folks, I didn't write them, but like Joe Friday always said, "The
facts,
ma'am, just the facts."

(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part
shall, upon
request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the
vehicle to
determine the applicability of this part.

(b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon
request of the
Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is
subject
only to the provisions of this part.
Here's where you can find them:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?
c=ecfr&sid=60fc6b3fd47a0364348d812a785969a7&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14
:2.0.1.3.16&idno=14

Rick

--
kugelair.com

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

> A disgusting situation but there it is.
Russ K:

What is disgusting about breaking the law, trying to beat the rap, spending
all your money doing it, and have the Feds eat you for lunch?

Seriously, if you break the law, Part 103, which in my opinion is spelled
out so that even I can understand it, you gonna pay the consequences. I
don't see anything vague about the FAA asking to inspect my unregistered
airplane and me complying.

I flew heavy ULs for a while, was not comfortable doing it, and experienced
a great sense of relief when I started flying my experiemental homebuilt
that was legal with inflight hull and liability insurance. Previously, I
was flying with no insurance because I was illegal and none was available
for an unregistered airplane.

Cost much more to fly now, but probably a lot cheaper in the long run.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Jim ODay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

I agree with what John H said. I flew my 300#+ fat Firestar in 2005 and was always worried about having a forced landing in a bean field and some good Samaritan calling 911 with sheriff showing up and the next call to the FAA.

I know the rules, I would get penalized with a suspension and having to answer the violation question forever on insurance applications.

I parked it till I was able to get legal and what a relief. I fly now with the hope someone does call 911 if I have a forced landing. They can help haul me or my plane out of the field, depending on what gets damaged.

Fly safe.

Jim

indyaviator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Over the years, there have been a few incidents and accidents involving fat ultralights near my old field. If the sheriff is called out, he always calls the faa. He says it is their call whether it is an airplane or an UL. The FAA usually shows up and looks at the pile of tubes and fabric and says "ultralight, no investigation" They never weigh them. If it has one seat, 5 galon tank and looks like an ultralight...case closed. They don't want to do the paperwork.

That said, if the plane crashed somewhere it shouldn't be, like downtown or a schoolyard, I am sure they would nail you to a cross.

If you crash an N numbered plane, isn't there always an investigation?

Bryan D

[quote]
I parked it till I was able to get legal and what a relief. I fly now with the hope someone does call 911 if I have a forced landing. They can help haul me or my plane out of the field, depending on what gets damaged.

Fly safe.

Jim

--------
Jim O'Day
Fargo, ND
Firestar II

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=161425#161425
[quote][b]

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

John, Things have changed, First Flight now offers insurance for ultralights for about $360
a year. However I am sure that they still expect it to be a REAL Ultralight.

Steve
do not archive
In a message dated 1/30/2008 4:19:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com writes:
Quote:
Previously, I
was flying with no insurance because I was illegal and none was available
for an unregistered airplane.

Cost much more to fly now, but probably a lot cheaper in the long run.

Take care,

john h

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Nope!

john h
mk III
[quote] If you crash an N numbered plane, isn't there always an investigation?

Bryan D

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Possums

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

At 05:51 PM 1/30/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Over the years, there have been a few incidents and accidents involving fat ultralights near my old field. If the sheriff is called out, he always calls the faa. He says it is their call whether it is an airplane or an UL. The FAA usually shows up and looks at the pile of tubes and fabric and says "ultralight, no investigation" They never weigh them. If it has one seat, 5 galon tank and looks like an ultralight...case closed. They don't want to do the paperwork.

That said, if the plane crashed somewhere it shouldn't be, like downtown or a schoolyard, I am sure they would nail you to a cross.

Here's my experience:
Have an incident where the sheriff is called out. He calls the FAA and tells them that the pilot says it is
an ultralight. Look's like it's made of tubes & fabric. They tell the sheriff to tell the pilot that they "won't
be coming out
", no investigation.

However:
The next day the FAA calls me and the conversation goes something like this:

Mr. Sullivan, I am Mr. ___ with the FAA and am calling about your incident in the lake
yesterday.

Yes Sir

Mr. Sullivan, where is your plane right now?

Sir, it's in my dad's barn in Powder Springs (about 20 west of Atlanta). Directions follow.

Mr. Sullivan, where are you right now?

About 15 miles north of there in Kennesaw.

Mr. Sullivan I would like you to meet me there in 45 minutes.

Yes Sir.

-----------------

Since I've seen this all before, I managed to strip all the fabric off the entire plane "before he
ever called"
. Also removed & moved the fuel tank/tanks. Removed and disassembled the engine,
chute, seat etc. The wings were twisted anyway, as was the cage. The engine (600 hrs) was full of
water along with the bearings etc. So it wasn't that big a deal.
He came - he looked - he said "yeah, I guess it was an ultralight". Took some pictures and
went back to Atlanta.
No matter what they say - you crash it & they will come, at least here. I've seen this happen twice.
They are very professional though.

Submarine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.22 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

Submarine.jpg

azfirestar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the wetter than planned end to the flight, but I am assuming everyone was OK. I found the post very interesting. We've all heard stories about investigation/enforcement, but I have not heard many first hand accounts of how the process works.

This brings up a question that has been in my mind thru this and the previous (un-named here) thread - How many of us have seen "ramp checks" first hand? Is this common in some parts of the country? Do they ever weigh planes? I'm not saying it is OK to break the rules if they are not enforced - I'm just curious about how the system works.

Dan G.
Tucson
503 F2
(yes, it is a legal ELSA as of September last year)

possums wrote:
[quote]Here's my experience:
Have an incident where the sheriff is called out. He calls the FAA and tells them that the pilot says it is
an ultralight. Look's like it's made of tubes & fabric. They tell the sheriff to tell the pilot that they "won't
be coming out
", no investigation.

However:
The next day the FAA calls me and the conversation goes something like this:

Mr. Sullivan, I am Mr. ___ with the FAA and am calling about your incident in the lake
yesterday.

Yes Sir

Mr. Sullivan, where is your plane right now?

Sir, it's in my dad's barn in Powder Springs (about 20 west of Atlanta). Directions follow.

Mr. Sullivan, where are you right now?

About 15 miles north of there in Kennesaw.

Mr. Sullivan I would like you to meet me there in 45 minutes.

Yes Sir.
[b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

There is a big difference between being 300 Pounds + and trying to pass your plane off as an ultralight, and being only 15 pounds overweight...

I have never seen a ramp check, or known anyone that has had a ramp check. I'm sure it happens, but how many get weighed in a standard run of the mill ramp check ( non event or air show related ).

Its all about good judgment, if you are a bit overweight, don't fly your ultralight into an ultralight event where there is likely to be ramp checks, and likely to be weighed. If you are so far overweight that it is obviously not plausible as an ultralight, get an N Number...

But 15 ( 6% )pounds overweight is a non issue in most cases. Seems that there is a lack of common sense and good judgment by some on this list.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Ralph B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

JetPilot wrote:
There is a big difference between being 300 Pounds + and trying to pass your plane off as an ultralight, and being only 15 pounds overweight...

I have never seen a ramp check, or known anyone that has had a ramp check. I'm sure it happens, but how many get weighed in a standard run of the mill ramp check ( non event or air show related ).

Its all about good judgment, if you are a bit overweight, don't fly your ultralight into an ultralight event where there is likely to be ramp checks, and likely to be weighed. If you are so far overweight that it is obviously not plausible as an ultralight, get an N Number...

But 15 ( 6% )pounds overweight is a non issue in most cases. Seems that there is a lack of common sense and good judgment by some on this list.

Mike

Mike,

You can't always tell if it's an ultralight or not. Does this look like an ultralight to you? How much do you think it weighs?

Ralph

at Lydia-.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.22 KB
 Viewed:  504 Time(s)

at Lydia-.jpg

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Our local PeaPatch airport, Winchester (VA) Regional is only some 50 easy road miles from Dulles and its nest of faaers, but I've never see/heard of anyone (UL or UL-looking) being ramp checked during EAA fly-ins, or any other times. They (faa) can and do visit, but usually on incident/accident cks on GA.

regards,
Bob N.    FireFly 070 Old Kolb
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/
do not archive....or is this still in effect?

[quote][b]

Jim ODay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Wow Ralph, that looks like a skinny FS! ...... I guess 254#

My builders manual advised that my FS would not make the 103 weight unless built with a free air cooled Rotax motor, light fabric, minimal paint, no brakes, plastic wheels ...... bottom line it was not happening.

I don't know of any ramp checking going on at fly-ins, but I know the FAA investigates anytime a plane has a un-planned off the airport or bad airport landing. If you have flying credentials (ie: Pilots license) be prepared to be grounded if you ruled to be in violation of the FAR's.

By the way, I have been "ramp checked" twice. They checked the AC documents and mine. The 1st time was awful, the second was no problem with lessons learned from the first time. Neither were done at my home field but when I was traveling. (both were in factory made planes) If you want the details, send me a note.

Mike, I get your point that it is OK to be kinda fat as long as you carry the weight well. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck; it is a duck.

I guess we have a different opinion here. The reality is if my plane looks to fit the 103 rule, and I want it to "pass" as a UL, I must be willing to produce false documentation and tell lies. I have an aversion to both.

You can build a legal UL, but a 255# airplane without a registration is called an unregistered A/C. You can call it whatever you want, but it does not change anything. Before the SP rules there was a general look the other way attitude by all concerned, I think that has changed.

I am glad I had the opportunity to get my fat little FS set up as an E-LSA. It was not UL 103 legal, never would be, and after the SP rules were a reality, there was no more gray area to hide in.

Fly safe,

Jim

Kolb 7.2007 (Medium).JPG
 Description:
Here is a picture of my chubby FS. I guess it passes as a UL because that is what everyone calls it.
 Filesize:  80.19 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

Kolb 7.2007 (Medium).JPG

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Ralph, it depends on how technical you want to be and how much you know about that tank. If it holds more than 5 gallons, not much more, but more, is enough to kick on the "Not an Ultralight" Light.

Per AC 103-7,

19. Maximum Fuel Capacity of a Powered Ultralight Vehicle. The maximum fuel capacity for a powered ultralight vehicle is 5 U.S. gallons. Any powered ultralight with fuel tank(s) exceeding this capacity is ineligible for operation as an ultralight vehicle.

a. Determination of Fuel Capacity. The total volume, including all available space for usable and unusable fuel in the fuel tank is the total fuel capacity. The fuel in the lines, pump, strainer, and carburetor is not considered in a calculation of total volume.

b. Use of an Artificial Means to Control Capacity.

(1) Tanks which have a permanent standpipe or venting arrangement to control capacity are permitted, but may be subject to demonstration of the capacity if there is any reason to doubt that the arrangement is effective.

(2) A temporary, detachable, or voluntarily- observed method for restricting fuel capacity, such as a "fill-to" line is not acceptable.

That tiny area above the 5 gallon line on the tank could be a tip off to a "by the book" inspector. He or she has only to look at the tank and ask you to demonstrate the capacity. I'm not an inspector, I have no vested interest in the ultralight argument.
At the "Air Festival" in Wellington, KS last September two "volunteers" from the Wichita FSDO showed up, in addition to the fellow who was assigned to the show (and really hacked off the guy who was assigned, I might add), and started ramp checking. The president of my EAA chapter was one of those given a "stern warning" by these two. His offense? The gas tanks on his RV-6 weren't properly labeled.

On Jan 31, 2008 12:24 PM, Ralph B <ul15rhb(at)juno.com (ul15rhb(at)juno.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Ralph B" <ul15rhb(at)juno.com (ul15rhb(at)juno.com)>
JetPilot wrote:
Quote:
>

Quote:

> Its all about good judgment, if you are a bit overweight, don't fly your ultralight into an ultralight event where there is likely to be ramp checks, and likely to be weighed. If you are so far overweight that it is obviously not plausible as an ultralight, get an N Number...

>
Quote:

Mike

Mike,

You can't always tell if it's an ultralight or not. Does this look like an ultralight to you? How much do you think it weighs?

Ralph

--------
Ralph B
Original Firestar
N91493 E-AB
21 years flying it

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=161598#161598
[quote][b]

knowvne(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Hey  If  they can make rules WE the people didnt vote for why can WE the people make them
earn their Pay checks? ahahahaha

Hmmm Now  I wonder how many feet of Tubing i'll need to make 5 Gallons hahahahaha Cool

Mark

--

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Mike,

Ramp checks are like car accidents: they happen when you least
expect.

I admire the restraint of 99% of the Kolb list. Your pomposity in
answering some of the recent posts is tiring at best. Reminds me of what my
Dad used to say, "An empty wagon makes the most noise". Please quit the
insults and the patronizing tone. Your constant derision ("Seems that there
is a lack of common sense and good judgment by some...") is insulting and
immature. Try and listen to some of the responses, and take them to heart.
100 other pilots can't all be wrong....
At any rate, I've had ramp checks at small, uncontrolled airfields
as well as large airports, and know of other airman who have been imposed
upon likewise. Have had the boys show up unannounced in a corporate flight
department, and in a local small-town FBO. But then, that's been over the
course of 30+ years of flying. And the feds ARE concerned about W&B, as
well as all other required aircraft documentation. I even had one Fed ask
to be taken up, until I asked how he'd be paying for the trip around the
pattern.
The big thing about being at proper weight is as much about
insurance and liability as legality. Try having even a tiny scrape with an
aircraft, the insurer will try and prove you violated some reg, forget about
the Feds. Had a bird strike a couple years ago, the insuring agent asked 10
times the questions as the FAA guys.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
---

Ralph B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: FAR 103.3 Inspection requirements Reply with quote

Ralph B wrote:
JetPilot wrote:

Mike

Mike

Ralph

Well this is a fat ultralight that looks skinny because I left the covering off the rear part of the cage. This is one of the earliest Firestars (S/N #49), and was designed to be an ultralight. Even with a parachute that would give it another 24 lbs, it still would not have made the 276 lb weight limit. I have since added a bigger engine (447), streamlined struts, bigger wheels, nice seat cushion, strobe lights, and still has the 5-gallon main tank. It doesn't have brakes and weighs in at 319 lbs. Looks can be deceiving. It's an aircraft with a tail number.

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: