Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Kolb drop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

I have been the victim of the Kolb "drop" more times than I care to admit. As I've said here before my intimate friendship with Mr. Hydraulic Press didn't end until Travis gave me the advice to wheel it on rather than trying to three point it. Now I carry 3000 RPM (750 prop RPM) all the way down to the deck then cut power and let her settle. It's pretty much the same technique I was taught for the Cessna 182. Works every time. Okay that and nerf tires work every time.Wink
So why does the Kolb (I can only speak of the Mk IIIC) have such an abrupt stall break? I'm no aerodynamicist, but I can read a data plot of lift, drag, and center of pressure travel against angle of attack and I'll hazard a semi-educated opinion.
It's the leading edge radius and the flat bottom of the airfoil. The Kolb airfoil is about 12% thickness. Some have commented that it is of the TLAR variety and they may well be right. But if you pick up a copy of Michael Rice's little book, "Handbook of Airfoil Sections for Light Aircraft", there are several sections that closely resemble the Kolb's.
Take a look at the NACA 66 of 1921 vintage. While the lift coefficient has a fairly gentle curve, the drag rise is very steep as it approaches stalling angle (figure 14 degrees AoA as the point where it most likely stalls) and look at the center of pressure curve, it's moving backward toward 40% as AoA increases, just as it would if you were holding the Kolb off by bringing the stick further and further back. The result. Probably wham, and a visit with Mr. Press. Also take a look at the air speed at which the data was plotted, 98.4 feet per second (67.1 mph). Quite a bit faster than the generally agreed upon touch down speed of the Mk IIIC. No leading edge radius is given for the section, but its bottom is flat from 2.5 % of chord on back. By comparison the Kolb Mk III leading edge is 1.25% of chord (assuming a chord of 60" rather than counting the whole 64" as the aileron and flap leading edge thicken and lengthen out considerably)
There's also the Clark Z from 1923. Similar to the NACA 66, but a slightly larger leading edge radius. This section was tested at 58.7 feet per second (40MPH) which is getting closer to the Kolb's drop speed Wink, but look at the lift coefficient plot, it drops like a rock at 16 1/2 degrees AoA. Unfortunately there is no center of pressure plot for this section.
If you want to go a bit farther afield, English investigators tested the Fage and Collins 3 in 1927 at 75 feet per second (51.2 mph). It's lift peaks at a bit more than 12 degrees and it's leading edge radius is a bit smaller than the Kolb's at .83%.
The German's offer the Goettingen 285 and 365. Both are flat bottomed but the 285 has a larger leading edge radius and was tested at the slowest airspeed of the lot at 29.3 feet per second (20 mph). Unfortunately all it's data plots end at 15 degrees AoA.
The 365 had a small leading edge radius that is very close to the Kolb's at 1.26%, but like the NACA 66 it was tested at 98.4 feet per second (67.1 mph) Both these sections were of 1918/1919 vintage.
I also looked in Abbot and Von Doenhoff's "Theory of Wing Sections", but it deals with research from the late 20's to the late 40's and there are no flat bottomed sections listed.
So, draw your own conclusions, do some more extensive research, or look around at the planes on the ramp the next time you go out to fly. It's not magic why the Kolb drops, but that's just my opinion.

Rick
do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Rick G:

Pretty simple solution to Kolb QUIT.

Doesn't require a text book to understand.

Learn to fly the airplane.

Every Kolb model I have flown, over the years, lands the same way, with or without power, with or without flaps.

Learn to stall the airplane on the ground or a couple inches above the ground.

Or.............fly the airplane to the ground, stick it there, and stop it.

Most important is learn to fly it.

john h
mkIII

[quote] So, draw your own conclusions, do some more extensive research, or look around at the planes on the ramp the next time you go out to fly. It's not magic why the Kolb drops, but that's just my opinion.

Rick

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Dana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

At 06:15 PM 2/18/2008, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:
...It's the leading edge radius and the flat bottom of the airfoil. The
Kolb airfoil is about 12% thickness...

Any airfoil with a fairly sharp leading edge will have an fairly abrupt
stall. The flat bottom is irrelevant; it's just the product of the taper
and thickness distribution (though like the leading edge chosen, no doubt,
for ease of construction). Combine the abrupt stall with a low mass / high
drag aircraft and you get the behavior you see.

You don't want to flare too soon or high with a Quicksilver, either, or
you'll be straightening or replacing the landing gear downtubes (been
there, done that... once).

The test speeds for the other airfoils you mention has nothing to do with
it (except perhaps for some minor Reynolds number effects).

-Dana

--
The speed of light is greater than the speed of sound. That's why some
people seem very bright until you hear them speak.

Steven Green

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

I have experienced Kolb quit, Cessna quit, and Piper quit. They all plop down if your wheels are not on the ground when they are through flying. Some call it "quit". I'll stick with "stall".
[quote] Steven
Mark III 912S
550 hrs.
[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Steven G:

Been sitting here waiting for your eloquent response to a very simple question.

Kolbs are simple little airplanes that are fun and easy to fly.

If folks would spend more time playing with their Kolbs, rather than trying to tell others how to do it and why they do it, maybe they would learn how to land them without the dreaded "Kolb quit".

I shared this new expression with Homer Kolb. Homer looked at me and gave me a big grin.

john h
mkIII -
[quote]
I have experienced Kolb quit, Cessna quit, and Piper quit. They all plop down if your wheels are not on the ground when they are through flying. Some call it "quit". I'll stick with "stall".
Quote:
Steven

[b]

Titus, Alabama
a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

It ain't
The Drop,
It's tha
Sudden Stop.
bn

do not archive

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used. Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing and tolerant of the pilot being a little off speed, or a little high in the flare. Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact. I have instructed in the Kolb, and as a CFI in general aviation aircraft. In General aviation aircraft, I can let students get much further off speed, or flare a lot higher on landing than in a Kolb, and not bend the gear or result in a very hard landing. Hundreds of students flare high, land slow, etc etc every day in Cessnas and other aircraft and you do not constantly bend the gear, partly due to stronger gear, and partly to do much more forgiving aerodynamics.

The other fact is that on my Kolb MK III, VG's have done a lot to correct this bad habit of dropping suddenly and hard upon landing. VG's do not solve this problem entirely, but my Kolb MK III is not anywhere near as critical in landing as it was, and it does not drop nearly as hard if I am a few feet high as it did without VG's. I don't care so much about the theory, or what some may say about stalls, the FACT is that VG's make landings much easier and less critical in my Kolb, and that is a great thing.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
ez(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:34 AM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:
Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact.

< Smile >

ez(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

If you are not yet an idiot ,,,,,,,,,, your ego in not the size it
could be !!!

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

there must be some here then, not pointing any fingers at anyone special just making a statement

Ellery
do not archive

In a message dated 2/19/2008 9:18:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ez(at)embarqmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Eugene Zimmerman <ez(at)embarqmail.com>

Quote:
Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact.

< Smile > es y --> - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS nbsp; - List Contribution Web Site ;   =========================

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

JetPilot wrote:
Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used. Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing and tolerant of the pilot being a little off speed, or a little high in the flare. Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact. I have instructed in the Kolb, and as a CFI in general aviation aircraft. In General aviation aircraft, I can let students get much further off speed, or flare a lot higher on landing than in a Kolb, and not bend the gear or result in a very hard landing. Hundreds of students flare high, land slow, etc etc every day in Cessnas and other aircraft and you do not constantly bend the gear, partly due to stronger gear, and partly to do much more forgiving aerodynamics.

The other fact is that on my Kolb MK III, VG's have done a lot to correct this bad habit of dropping suddenly and hard upon landing. VG's do not solve this problem entirely, but my Kolb MK III is not anywhere near as critical in landing as it was, and it does not drop nearly as hard if I am a few feet high as it did without VG's. I don't care so much about the theory, or what some may say about stalls, the FACT is that VG's make landings much easier and less critical in my Kolb, and that is a great thing.

Mike

Don't mean to jump in, but this is describing more a general characteristic of (comparatively speaking) high-drag/low-inertia designs like the Kolb and not really a unique characteristic of the Kolb.

In fact, I found the FS II I had required energy management techniques virtually identical to the other UL/UL-like designs I've flown over the years. The closest analog for me was my quicksilver (MX Super); it flew so close to that plane that basically, as soon as I got used to the ground handling and tailwheel aspect, I was off going around the pattern practicing my wheel landings.

As for the "drop", which is indeed only a euphemism for stalling the wing more than a couple inches above the ground, the FSII behaved virtually identically to my quicksilver in this respect. On the quick, of course, you're off to the hangar to replace the axle and possibly the landing gear down tubes at that point, but the Kolb is a little more durable, especally mine was because it had large tundra-like tires on the mains.

My fun racer trike with the double surface wing would also exhibit the "drop" as it had a similar fairly abrupt stall break and could be subject to the hazard of the "drop".

But I never broke anything on the trike either. It could have have been that I'm just so used to flying low-inertia designs that I remained well clear of hazardous "drops" as best I could (I also wheel landed the FSII about 95% of the time and only attempted 3 points in very calm weather).....

In any case, I found the Kolb gave no surprises, at least not to me, compared to any other similar planes I"d flown. I can't think of any kind of situation where the Kolb would lead to bent gear legs more (or less!) than any other light aircraft.

As for training, the low-inertia aspect is the hardest one for pilots transitioning from general aviation to get a handle on. Controlling the plane in the air, takeoffs and so on are pretty easy, but landings (particularly the energy management part) can yield a pretty sweaty and cursing student for several hours at least.

Don't ask me how I know this is the case.

Finally, FWIW, I believe I recall being able to get the C150 to do the "drop", but it required a low pass with no flaps in the flare attitude with progressively more back elevator and reducing throttle.

The titan tornado will also do the drop, but it' stall AOA is also very high in the flare and it also requires a lot of coaxing (and stupidity) to get it to do it (and generally you bang the tailwheel down in the process).

LS

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

At 08:34 AM 2/19/2008, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:
Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used. Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing...

All this talk makes me wonder... how many of the people on this list came from a GA background, and learned to fly in a Cessna or similar, and how many came from an ultralight background? I'd bet it's only the Cessna drivers that have problems with the so called "Kolb quit", which is common to all ultralights (I know a MLIII isn't an ultralight, but it's certainly descended from one).

My old Taylorcraft required me to start my flare before I even got over the runway threshold, if I didn't want to float half way down the runway. This gave me some trouble at first when I got back into flying in a Quicksilver, which like a Kolb, has to be flown right down to the ground. After a few hours in the Quick, my Kolb gave me no trouble at all.

This is nothing new; Homer knew it well. From the original UltraStar manual:
"Many airplane pilots have flown the UltraStar for the first time and had no difficulties.

"However, if pilots do have any trouble ut is usually in the landing department. All proceeds well until it its time to flare for landing; a typical airplane has much more weight than an ultralight, and has much less drag than a typical ultralight does. An airplane comes in twice as fast as a typical ultralight. An airplane therefore has many times the energy to dissipate than a typical ultralight has, and less drag to help dissipate it. A typical landing flare in an airplane will start much higher than an ultralight because it has plenty of momentum to dissipate before touching down.

"Thus when an airplane pilot gets into an ultralight, what can happen is that the [airplane oriented] pilot tends to start to flare too high in the air, he then stalls 10 to 15 feet above the runway and lands quite hard which usually will collapse the landing gear... the safest way to avoid this is to carry some power... you should fly the UltraStar onto the ground..."

-Dana
--
"If yew ain't livin' on th' edge, yer takin' up too much room!" [quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Dana,  sure is true about the Taylorcraft.  A great little plane, floats and floats and floats.............
My Kolb has a beneficial side however, as when I get an occasional gust just before touchdown that lifts us
10' above the hard stuff.  In a more conventional tractor high wing craft a sudden addition of power at this
point will rotate the nose up, putting you in a worse attitude unless you (after some misadventures) push the
stick forward simultaneously.
In the Kolb all this happens automatically when the pusher prop adjusts things quite nicely for you.

All old geezers should have a Kolb to fly.
BB
do not archive
On 19, Feb 2008, at 12:38 PM, Dana Hague wrote:
[quote] At 08:34 AM 2/19/2008, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:
Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used.  Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing...

All this talk makes me wonder... how many of the people on this list came from a GA background, and learned to fly in a Cessna or similar, and how many came from an ultralight background?  I'd bet it's only the Cessna drivers that have problems with the so called "Kolb quit", which is common to all ultralights (I know a MLIII isn't an ultralight, but it's certainly descended from one).

My old Taylorcraft required me to start my flare before I even got over the runway threshold, if I didn't want to float half way down the runway.  This gave me some trouble at first when I got back into flying in a Quicksilver, which like a Kolb, has to be flown right down to the ground.  After a few hours in the Quick, my Kolb gave me no trouble at all.

This is nothing new; Homer knew it well.  From the original UltraStar manual:
        "Many airplane pilots have flown the UltraStar for the first time and had no difficulties. 

"However, if pilots do have any trouble ut is usually in the landing department.  All proceeds well until it its time to flare for landing; a typical airplane has much more weight than an ultralight, and has much less drag than a typical ultralight does.  An airplane comes in twice as fast as a typical ultralight.  An airplane therefore has many times the energy to dissipate than a typical ultralight has, and less drag to help dissipate it.  A typical landing flare in an airplane will start much higher than an ultralight because it has plenty of momentum to dissipate before touching down.

"Thus when an airplane pilot gets into an ultralight, what can happen is that the [airplane oriented] pilot tends to start to flare too high in the air, he then stalls 10 to 15 feet above the runway and lands quite hard which usually will collapse the landing gear... the safest way to avoid this is to carry some power... you should fly the UltraStar onto the ground..."

-Dana
--
 "If yew ain't livin' on th' edge, yer takin' up too much room!"
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Possums

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

At 12:38 PM 2/19/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
At 08:34 AM 2/19/2008, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:
Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used. Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing...

All this talk makes me wonder... how many of the people on this list came from a GA background, and learned to fly in a Cessna or similar, and how many came from an ultralight background? I'd bet it's only the Cessna drivers that have problems with the so called "Kolb quit", which is common to all ultralights (I know a MLIII isn't an ultralight, but it's certainly descended from one).

I think that's exactly what the problem is. You cannot make a Cessna driver fly a kolb to the ground
no matter how many times you tell him. He will always flare too high.
Only bending the landing gear will "eventually" convince a GA pilot that it will stop flying when you
pull back the throttle and flare a kolb. If they've never flown anything, it is easier. [quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

At 01:53 PM 2/19/2008, robert bean wrote:

Quote:
My Kolb has a beneficial side however, as when I get an occasional gust
just before touchdown that lifts us
10' above the hard stuff. In a more conventional tractor high wing craft
a sudden addition of power at this
point will rotate the nose up, putting you in a worse attitude unless you
(after some misadventures) push the
stick forward simultaneously.
In the Kolb all this happens automatically when the pusher prop adjusts
things quite nicely for you.

Except in my UltraStar... the engine is much lower than the other Kolb
designs, so it behaves like a more conventional airplane.

-Dana
--
The two most common elements in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact. I have instructed in the Kolb, and as a CFI in general aviation aircraft.

That's it, I've had it, time to unplug for a while.

Steve

In a message dated 2/19/2008 8:37:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>

Kolb's have the characteristic of suddenly dropping hard on landing if very good technique is not used.  Cessna and other most other training aircraft are not like this, they are much more forgiving on landing and tolerant of the pilot being a little off speed, or a little high in the flare. Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact. I have instructed in the Kolb, and as a CFI in general aviation aircraft. In General aviation aircraft, I can let students get much further off speed, or flare a lot higher on landing than in a Kolb, and not bend the gear or result in a very hard landing.   Hundreds of students flare high, land slow, etc etc every day in Cessnas and other aircraft and you do not constantly bend the gear, partly due to stronger gear, and partly to do much more forgiving aerodynamics.

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=164998#164998

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

I hate to see blame thrown where it shouldn't  be thrown.Of course it shouldn't be called the "Kolb drop"; no need blaming the Kolb design for a perfectly normal flight occurrence. It's simply a stall, and ALL wings will stall. All pilots should feel this out, at a safe altitude. 
Basically, the heavier the aircraft, the higher speed at which it will stall, and the earlier you should start your flare. (BTW, it's 'flare', not flair). I fly would a twin Otter or DC-3 much differently than I would a Cub or Champ. Huge weight difference.Wing design  is also a  factor. Wing 'washout' or 'twist' reduces the abruptness of the stall, delays it and  makes it gentler. Worst I ever flew was the BD-4, whose wing has NO washout at all. One minute it was flying, then the next second --WHAM ! it was nose-down, headed toward the ground. Scary.
They're all similar, but all different. 
Learn to fly your aircraft!. 
I'm sure Kolbs are no worse than  the others. Just different.

[quote][b]

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: The Kolb Drop Reply with quote

Kolbers,

I wondered about the term Kolb Drop. Is it fair or proper to give Homer
credit for this phenomenon? I checked the FAA Preliminary Accident and
Incident Reports for Feb 19. Out of 38 reports, I found five were listed as
outright crashes while the aircraft was away from an airport. The
transition from the air to the ground and movement on the ground seems to
give pilots a lot of trouble. Eight pilots had trouble keeping their
aircraft aligned properly with the runway which resulted in nose overs,
ground loops, slide offs, hitting snow banks and taxiing problems that
killed several runway marker lights. Birds sacrificed them selves to three
aircraft. And finally, eight pilots impacted their aircraft so hard that
only three could taxi away from the runway. Not one of these aircraft was
listed as a Kolb. These data indicate that it must be more difficult to land
and taxi GA and commercial aircraft than Kolb designed aircraft.

May be Kolb Drop should be redefined as Earth Jump. Earth Jump can be
equally applied to all aircraft with out giving undue credit and it easily
explains away why the earth is not in the correct position when these pilots
flared or were repositioning their aircraft.

All aircraft are equal when they are on the ground and humans are absent.
The snow is slowly falling. Fly safe.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

do not archive

Only an idiot would not recognize there very real fact. I have instructed in the Kolb, and as a CFI in general aviation aircraft.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: The Kolb Drop Reply with quote

> May be Kolb Drop should be redefined as Earth Jump. Earth Jump can be
Quote:
equally applied to all aircraft with out giving undue credit and it easily
explains away why the earth is not in the correct position when these
pilots
flared or were repositioning their aircraft.

Quote:
Jack B. Hart FF004

Jack H:

I like that explanation.

I'm sure Kolb Quit could not be related to pilot technique. Wink

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
jb92563

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Kolb drop Reply with quote

Now that I have finished laughing at all the threads and fuss over a simple stall I think I'll put in my 2 cents as well.

- Don't stall your Kolb at any height you don't want to drop from.

- Vortex generators would be a fun and helpful addition to your Kolb if you want to mellow the stall a bit and buy some more time to recover from a misjudged flair(stall).

- If you don't know what a stall is and how to handle it then its time to visit a good certified instructor and update your insurance policy before doing any more piloting.

I think the main problem here is that the Kolb drop is not recognized for what it really is....the wing quits generating sufficient lift and is stalled....plain and simple.

The difference between a Kolb and heavier aircraft is that it slows down a lot quicker, so you do not need to flair as early or as high as with the heavier aircraft.

An extreme example would be the space shuttle landings.....they pitch the shuttle up to start the flair for landing a half mile away from the intended touch down point.

Also the Kolb does NOT have shock absorbing landing gear, so you do not want to subject it to a full stall landing from any height as dropping it in is going to hurt the Kolb and perhaps the pilot.

Nuff Said....get used to your Kolb and fly it accordingly.

If you keep doing something painfull...then STOP doing it and try something else. Rolling Eyes

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: