Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly the plane!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Fly the plane!! Reply with quote

John, and group of Kolb Guys,

I just watched all 3 videos, in their entirety, and must say that this latest discussion about "Kolb quit" (as Pat prefers to call it) has been the most useless thread I've read in years!!

Watching these gentlemen fly and land their Firestars reminded me of why I wanted a Kolb in the first place...namely because they are incredibly docile machines. Conversions about stalling and bending landing gear and Kolb drop and other inane subjects have only lead to fears to those of us that have yet to fly our planes.

I have several hundred hours of flight time on my Cessna 172. I have never come even close to bending the landing gear. I've never dropped it in from 10' feet up. I've never stalled it as I was landing. (Although I watched someone do this on a 152 rental plane). Now I say to myself "why would I fear landing a Kolb, providing I FLY THE PLANE!!!"

Now, I'm NOT coming down on anyone who has ever bent landing gear. I know crap happens. Even the best among us can have a lapse of concentration and make a misjudgement. This may very well happen to me, someday. But having just watched an excellent example of potential Kolb performance, long drawn-out discussions on falling out the sky seem useless. Learn to fly the plane, simple as that.

I found these videos refreshing, from the standpoint of knowing I am building an enjoyable flying,and gentle, well balanced aircraft.

Mike Welch
Kolb MkIII

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Fly the plane!! Reply with quote

Now I say to myself "why would I fear landing a Kolb, providing I FLY THE
PLANE!!!"
Quote:

>

Quote:
I found these videos refreshing, from the standpoint of knowing I am
building an enjoyable flying,and gentle, well balanced aircraft.

Mike Welch

Mike W:

Exactly what I have been saying.

I still bend a gear leg now and then, I think twice in the last couple
thousand hours. Most of the time is like the last gear leg bender, doing
something that is not quite ordinary. Landed with a passenger in a terraced
hay field. Got a little behind and off my intended tract, jumped a terrace
at less than flying speed landing on one gear leg. Result, bent gear leg.

Usually, it takes me a few times being asleep at the controls to land hard
enough to bend one. Again, that is what hydraulic presses are for.

I bent the 1" gear legs on my original FS during taxi preparing for its
maiden flight. Fixed that by going to what was then Twinstar 1 1/8" legs.

If I had VG's I'd probably still bend gear legs. I like to fly a little out
of the ordinary.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fly the plane!! Reply with quote

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co wrote:

I found these videos refreshing, from the standpoint of knowing I am building an enjoyable flying,and gentle, well balanced aircraft.

Mike Welch
Kolb MkIII

Yep, these videos are pretty accurate renditions of how the firestar flies. My old FSII was stately like this in calm weather and still landed pretty slow even at my current 6300' MSL altitude.

You'll find the plane to be a pretty ordinary handler with no surprises and no tendency to "quit" more or less than any other light a/c of similar type.

Miss my old one bad......

LS

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Fly the plane!! Reply with quote

Yes Mike I agree. Kolb quit sounds like some kind of epithet, maybe it was about Homer going into retirement.

Ron (TxAz)

===================================================
---- Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

I just watched all 3 videos, in their entirety, and must say that this latest discussion about "Kolb quit" (as Pat prefers to call it) has been the most useless thread I've read in years!!

Watching these gentlemen fly and land their Firestars reminded me of why I wanted a Kolb in the first place...namely because they are incredibly docile machines. Conversions about stalling and bending landing gear and Kolb drop and other inane subjects have only lead to fears to those of us that have yet to fly our planes.

I have several hundred hours of flight time on my Cessna 172. I have never come even close to bending the landing gear. I've never dropped it in from 10' feet up. I've never stalled it as I was landing. (Although I watched someone do this on a 152 rental plane). Now I say to myself "why would I fear landing a Kolb, providing I FLY THE PLANE!!!"

Now, I'm NOT coming down on anyone who has ever bent landing gear. I know crap happens. Even the best among us can have a lapse of concentration and make a misjudgement. This may very well happen to me, someday. But having just watched an excellent example of potential Kolb performance, long drawn-out discussions on falling out the sky seem useless. Learn to fly the plane, simple as that.

Mike Welch
Kolb MkIII

--
kugelair.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: