Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Structural Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

Fire Flyers,

When pulling my engine through to get fuel to the carb , I noticed a metallic rattle I had not heard before. It was inside the wing. I isolated it to the trailing edge and outboard edge of the left wing as viewed from the seat. Further examination indicated the problem area was near the end of the wing spar. I removed the wing and brought it home. Reluctantly I cut through the fabric, To reveal the 5/16 " X. 035 alum tube running from the outboard trailing edge to the inside of the outboard end of the main wing spar had severed completely . This tube was possibly flattened too much by the factory as it broke where it was flattened. This was a quick build kit. This firefly has never had the wings to hit the ground or anything else. It has never been slightly wrecked. Apparently taxiing on those little four inch wheels, over stressed that 5/16" tube. Anyone heard of this happening to a Firefly?

Ed FF # 62

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2008 12:24:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DAquaNut(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
To reveal the 5/16 " X. 035 alum tube running from the outboard trailing edge to the inside of the outboard end of the main wing spar had severed completely .

Ed,

This has happened to many Kolbs, including mine (both wings). Basically that tube just holds some tension on the trailing edge spar and wing tip bow to help keep them in position, so as not to have it bend back during rough handling or contact with the ground. It is not to serious and I continued flying for awhile, but kept checking on it to be sure it wasn't bending back. Finally, I elected to repair mine by using a larger, 3/8" diameter tube. The worst part was making the decision to cut an access hole in my nicely painted wing fabric Sad

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GeoR38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2008 12:24:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DAquaNut(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Fire Flyers,

When pulling my engine through to get fuel to the carb , I noticed a metallic rattle I had not heard before. It was inside the wing. I isolated it to the trailing edge and outboard edge of the left wing as viewed from the seat. Further examination indicated the problem area was near the end of the wing spar. I removed the wing and brought it home. Reluctantly I cut through the fabric, To reveal the 5/16 " X. 035 alum tube running from the outboard trailing edge to the inside of the outboard end of the main wing spar had severed completely . This tube was possibly flattened too much by the factory as it broke where it was flattened. This was a quick build kit. This firefly has never had the wings to hit the ground or anything else. It has never been slightly wrecked. Apparently taxiing on those little four inch wheels, over stressed that 5/16" tube. Anyone heard of this happening to a Firefly?

Ed FF # 62

It happened to my firestar at the same location....no big deal, I just replaced it with a slightly less crushed piece

George Randolph
the Villages, Fl

[quote][b]

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I wouldn't call those tubes structural, per the builder's manual they are installed to keep the wing bow from bending when shrinking the fabric. Dave Rains old FireStar II had the same problem and flew it like that for a long time until the lose tube started chaffing the fabric. It wasn't until after he accidentally started the engine at full throttle inside the hanger and ran the wing tip into the hanger wall was when we fixed them.

Regards,
Will Uribe
El Paso, TX
FireStar II N4GU
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1089406573728651489
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7821240344254343216
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1480724639524498797[/url]

owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DAquaNut(at)aol.com
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 10:21 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Structural Failure

Fire Flyers,

When pulling my engine through to get fuel to the carb , I noticed a metallic rattle I had not heard before. It was inside the wing. I isolated it to the trailing edge and outboard edge of the left wing as viewed from the seat. Further examination indicated the problem area was near the end of the wing spar. I removed the wing and brought it home. Reluctantly I cut through the fabric, To reveal the 5/16 " X. 035 alum tube running from the outboard trailing edge to the inside of the outboard end of the main wing spar had severed completely . This tube was possibly flattened too much by the factory as it broke where it was flattened. This was  a quick build kit. This firefly has never had the wings to hit the ground or anything else. It has never been slightly wrecked. Apparently taxiing on those little four inch wheels, over stressed that 5/16" tube. Anyone heard of this happening to a Firefly?

Ed FF # 62

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. [url=http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598]Watch the video on AOL Living.

tkrolfe(at)toast.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com (WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:

In a message dated 2/26/2008 12:24:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DAquaNut(at)aol.com (DAquaNut(at)aol.com) writes:
Quote:
To reveal the 5/16 " X. 035 alum tube running from the outboard trailing edge to the inside of the outboard end of the main wing spar had severed completely .

Ed,

This has happened to many Kolbs, including mine (both wings). Basically that tube just holds some tension on the trailing edge spar and wing tip bow to help keep them in position, so as not to have it bend back during rough handling or contact with the ground. It is not to serious and I continued flying for awhile, but kept checking on it to be sure it wasn't bending back. Finally, I elected to repair mine by using a larger, 3/8" diameter tube. The worst part was making the decision to cut an access hole in my nicely painted wing fabric Sad

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

Ed, Bill,

How many hours did you have on it when this happened? I haven't heard of this before and haven't had a problem so far ( keep my mouth shut or I will ). Having to replace my aileron gap seals after nine years, not bad for book tape, and I have the wings off to do so. Didn't notice any problem with this diagonal tube. Have had some pretty rough landings over the years. Will be keeping an eye out for this on my preflights.

Terry - FireFly #95
[quote][b]

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2008 10:58:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tkrolfe(at)toast.net writes:
Quote:
How many hours did you have on it when this happened?

Terry/Ed,

Re the drag tube for the wingtip bow.

I had 38 hours on the airframe when I heard the rattle in the left wing, while the right wing went 115 hours. By the way, I have the early, original model FireStar and the tube was only 1/4" OD! It broke at the bend where it attaches to the end of the main spar. I think the bend caused too much stress on the tube, like maybe it was cracked a little during construction. I built it, so maybe my mistake. The 3/8" tube I replaced it with hasn't broke yet. But of course it added a few more ounces.

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ

[quote][b]

travis(at)tnkolbaircraft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

Hello everyone Bryan of Custom Air has ask me to post on this list that when he started building our Quickbuilds in 1999 he noticed this particular tube being crimped from TOK quickbuilds. Bryan has always used a smooth radius on this tube and has also corrected many crimped tubes from earlier quickbuilds.This is not a structural issue but should be repaired if noticed.

Travis (at) Kolb
[quote] ---

Ralph B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Failure Reply with quote

This happened on my Original Firestar many years ago. It will affect the wing enough to cause a slight roll. When I repaired the tube, the roll tendency went away. This roll may be due to the 5-rib wing in these early Firestars. The 7-rib wings may not be affected. The Original Firestars used a 1/4" tube. I had to cut a large piece of fabric out of the bottom of the wing and then rivet in 5/16" tubing. Another thing was to make the bend where it attaches to the spar with a piece of 3/32" aluminum and rivet the tube to that. This way the tube won’t break again.

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2008 6:13:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, GeoR38(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:

It happened to my firestar at the same location....no big deal, I just replaced it with a slightly less crushed piece

George Randolph
the Villages, Fl

George,

Did you ever decide if it was caused by taxiing on a rough strip or what ? I have removed the rivets using a flexible shaft through a small hole about 6" from the main spar. I also had to put a hole big enough to put my hand through right at the end of the main spar. I have a piece of 3/8" x .028 6061-T 6 ordered that I plan on bending drilling and then sliding over the original 5/16" tubing like a sleeve. Plan on putting 3 rivets in it. Hopefully that will secure it sufficiently. Otherwise I will have to do a lot more recovering and patching.

Ed FF # 62

[quote][b]

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/26/2008 9:58:47 A.M. Central Standard Time, tkrolfe(at)toast.net writes:
Quote:

How many hours did you have on it when this happened? I haven't heard of this before and haven't had a problem so far ( keep my mouth shut or I will ). Having to replace my aileron gap seals after nine years, not bad for book tape, and I have the wings off to do so. Didn't notice any problem with this diagonal tube. Have had some pretty rough landings over the years. Will be keeping an eye out for this on my preflights.

Terry - FireFly #95
Quote:

Terry,

I had 80 hrs on it when it was descovered. Hope to have her fixed real soon. If it isn.t one thing its another. Not sure what caused it to break, but there is some comfort in knowing mine was not the first and its not considered serious.

Ed FF # 62

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Structural Failure Reply with quote

Hi Ed:

Usually, tubes break because of vibration. Two strokes are notorious for creating just the right frequency to stress crack and cause breakage. Of course, when an aluminum tube is bent, it has already started the failure process.

1/4" aluminum tubes are prone to break.

Your fix sounds good to me.

Primary function of the 1/4" diagonal tube is, as someone has already pointed out, to act as a brace when shrinking the fabric on the bow tip.

The very important braces to check periodically, especially the 5 rib FS and US wing, is the diagonal leading edge brace from main spar to the leading edge. This is what keeps the noses of the main ribs in column. The two braces on the nose of the inboard rib are not as important. Their function is to hold the IB rib nose when the fabric is shrunk.

john h - breaker of little aluminum tube braces in US and FS wings.
mkIII
[quote]
Did you ever decide if it was caused by taxiing on a rough strip or what ?
Ed FF # 62
[b]

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: