Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak-52 hydraulic lock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haavard-iversen(at)c2i.ne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Hello!

Me and my friend have been opertaing our Yak during wintertime now, operating the engine below 5 degrees Celsius, even down to -5. STarting the engine really hasn´t ben difficult, but have learned that you should not without pre-heating. We have drained for oil every 3 days without a flight, turning 20 blades before priming and another 10.
After the last flight at Saturday, we notice some oil dripping out of the exhaust imediatly after shut down.(maybe a teaspoon  full)
That we didn´t like much! How common is this? May this be a sign of a minor hydraulic lock, with bent engine parts?

Please advise, and from only those serius guys!

Thanx!

Håvard N. Iversen
Televeien 14A
2020 skedsmokorset
mobil: +47 928 93 546
www.yaknorway.com
e-mail: haavard-iversen(at)c2i.net (haavard-iversen(at)c2i.net)
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 421 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
pa3arw(at)euronet.nl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Yak-52 hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Dear Håvard,

I have never seen this with our Yak.

Do you run de engine at 60% for about 20 sec. before shutting down??

Hans Oortman

Van: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] Namens Håvard N. Iversen
Verzonden: maandag 27 februari 2006 8:09
Aan: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Onderwerp: Yak-52 hydraulic lock?

Hello!

Me and my friend have been opertaing our Yak during wintertime now, operating the engine below 5 degrees Celsius, even down to -5. STarting the engine really hasn´t ben difficult, but have learned that you should not without pre-heating. We have drained for oil every 3 days without a flight, turning 20 blades before priming and another 10.

After the last flight at Saturday, we notice some oil dripping out of the exhaust imediatly after shut down.(maybe a teaspoon  full)

That we didn´t like much! How common is this? May this be a sign of a minor hydraulic lock, with bent engine parts?

Please advise, and from only those serius guys!

Thanx!

Håvard N. Iversen
Televeien 14A
2020 skedsmokorset
mobil: +47 928 93 546
www.yaknorway.com
e-mail: haavard-iversen(at)c2i.net (haavard-iversen(at)c2i.net)

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 421 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Yak-52 hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

Havard,

I do not think you have a real problem.  I've seem my 1,200 hour M-14p do this on a number of occactions.  It might be that the ring gaps on one piston have shifted around and line up, allowing some oil to seep by, or you may have a small leak in your induction system seal.  Anyway a "tea spoon" of oil is not a big deal. 
It sounds that you are taking good precaution during the pre-start which where bending a rod would happened. 
There are a number of ways you can check to see if you've bent a rod but this little bit of oil is not (at least to me) not something to worry about.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

--

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 hydraulic lock? Reply with quote

The oil leaking from the exhaust after shutdown is not that uncommon. More than likely you shut down with the exhaust valve on one of the lower 3 cylinders open so that oil drained down and out the stack. I have the manifold drain kit installed, so it is not uncommon to see oil drain out when I open the stop cock after pushing the plane back into the hanger.
Doc

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: