Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru ram-air ducts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david_a_g_johnson(at)btin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Jabiru ram-air ducts Reply with quote

I am at the point of installing the ram-air ducts on my Jabiru 3300. The right-hand duct went on without too many problems (that couldn't be solved with some colourful cussing!).
The left-hand duct is causing headaches. because of the offset of the cylinders, the rear cylinder on the left is very close to the engine mounting plate and I cannot see how I can get the duct in.
On the right, the duct fits between the 5th. and 6th. fins (counting out from the crankcase). There's no way I can get the left duct that close. The fibreglass is recessed to clear the engine mount, but only once it is in place!
Am I being dumb? (don't answer that!). How did other Jab. users solve the problem?

Hoping someone can help (they always have in the past!)

Dave Johnson

601XL

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jabiru ram-air ducts Reply with quote

Dave,

I remember having to play with this left duct a little bit, but it was not a show-stopper, at least on my engine. Once I found which fins the aft part seemed to like the best, I put a spot of magic marker on the first visible fin so I can put it back the next time. There was no one spot that worked perfectly. I still have to push and shove a bit. If it was any worse, as it appears in your case, I guess I would try to heat the duct and re-form it a bit.

I do not remember if it made the Homebuilthelp.com video or not, but Mark at Jabiru USA suggested reinforcing the holes in the ducts that you will be drilling for the valve cover cap screws. I made a piece small aluminum sheet and JB weld epoxied it in place.

I have not run yet so this is all theory to me at this point..

Good luck,

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jabiru ram-air ducts Reply with quote

Are you installing the old style or new style ducts? New style doesn't have all the holes for the spark plug wires.

Tim

Do not archive

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
david_a_g_johnson(at)btin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Jabiru ram-air ducts Reply with quote

Interesting question. The engine is about 6 months old (Hydraulic tappets,
etc.), but the ducts have all the spark plug holes as they appeared on the
Homebuilthelp video.

Dave Johnson

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: