Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly Fiber Polybrush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Kitfoxers, I have completeled the first coat of Poly Brush applied with a brush as directed. It appears to have taken the 1st coat fine. The recommended standard proceedure is to give the plane 2 additional sprayed coats of Poly Brush before applying Poly Spray. Has anyone attempted to apply a 2nd coat of Poly Brush with brush or roller?

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 Rebuild
Rockford, IL
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
darinh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Pat,

I sprayed mine so I can't answer your question but I would be most worried about not getting even coverage with a brush or roller. Also, the chance of brush marks/roller marks would steer me away from this approach. Just curious, why would you consider brushing or rolling these coats?

As I understand it, the Polybrush is one of the most important steps to do right or you get major problems with pinholes. Having just finished my color coats, I am happy to say that my paint went way better than I could have hoped. I followed the Poly Fiber manual to the letter as far as the polybrush and polyspray are considered.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kaysville, Utah
rdmac(at)swbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Yes,
I used a short nap roller to apply the second coat and then followed right behind it with a foam brush to smooth out the tiny air bubbles that formed. Worked well for me.

Roger McConnell, Duncan, OK
Model 7 Trigear, Rotax 912uls
Flying sense Jan. 06

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pat Reilly
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:17 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush

Kitfoxers, I have completeled the first coat of Poly Brush applied with a brush as directed. It appears to have taken the 1st coat fine. The recommended standard proceedure is to give the plane 2 additional sprayed coats of Poly Brush before applying Poly Spray. Has anyone attempted to apply a 2nd coat of Poly Brush with brush or roller?

Pat Reilly

Mod 3 Rebuild

Rockford, IL
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Not here...why would you want to? The result with a brush or roller
would be just that much more that you'd have to smooth out later, I'm
afraid.
I think the reason that the first coat is done with a brush is so
that you get complete penetration with the first coat. The additional
coats smooth out the first coat and "gives additional fill and
flexibility to the job without adding excessive weight." ...quoted
from the manual...you DO have the manual, right, Pat?

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/475+ hrs
On Mar 6, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pat Reilly wrote:

Quote:
Kitfoxers, I have completeled the first coat of Poly Brush applied
with a brush as directed. It appears to have taken the 1st coat
fine. The recommended standard proceedure is to give the plane 2
additional sprayed coats of Poly Brush before applying Poly Spray.
Has anyone attempted to apply a 2nd coat of Poly Brush with brush
or roller?
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 Rebuild
Rockford, IL
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List_-
============================================================ _-
forums.matronics.com_-
============================================================ _-
contribution_-
============================================================

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Lynn, Yes, I do have the manual. And, they state that the 1st coat penetration is better with the brush. The 1st coat is very smooth. Spray coats will not smooth it out as it is aleady as smooth as it could be. The cloth weave does need more fill. The only place I have to smooth with a mek soaked rag is along the tapes very slightly. I believe that with the right type roller or possibly the right brush technique, it may be as smooth as a spray application. I figured somebody out there had tried.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 rebuild
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Subject: Re: Kitfox-List: Poly Fiber Polybrush
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:03:41 -0500

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net>

Not here...why would you want to? The result with a brush or roller
would be just that much more that you'd have to smooth out later, I'm
afraid.
I think the reason that the first coat is done with a brush is so
that you get complete penetration with the first coat. The additional
coats smooth out the first coat and "gives additional fill and
flexibility to the job without adding excessive weight." ...quoted
from the manual...you DO have the manual, right, Pat?

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/475+ hrs

On Mar 6, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pat Reilly wrote:

> Kitfoxers, I have completeled the first coat of Poly Brush applied
> with a brush as directed. It appears to have taken the 1st coat
> fine. The recommended standard proceedure is to give the plane 2
> additional sprayed coats of Poly Brush before applying Poly Spray.
> Has anyone attempted to apply a 2nd coat of Poly Brush with brush
> or roller?
>
>
> Pat Reilly
> Mod 3 Rebuild
> Rockford, IL
> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List_-
> ========== _-
> forums.matronics.com_-
> ========== _-
> contribution_-
> ===================================

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Roger, Thanks for the reply. I had tested a small patch with a foam roller. The mek made the roller swell up but it held together. There were alot of tiny air bubbles. I wiped them very quickly with a rag. It is pretty smooth and your foam brush idea just may be the ticket.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 Rebuild
Rockford, IL
[quote] From: rdmac(at)swbell.net
Subject: RE: Kitfox-List: Poly Fiber Polybrush
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:17:29 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoAutoSig, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoAutoSig, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoAutoSig {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
Yes,
  I used a short nap roller to apply the second coat and then followed right behind it with a foam brush to smooth out the tiny air bubbles that formed. Worked well for me.

Roger McConnell, Duncan, OK
Model 7 Trigear, Rotax 912uls
Flying sense Jan. 06

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pat Reilly
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:17 PM

Pat Reilly

Mod 3 Rebuild

Rockford, IL
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
1[b]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Darin, 2 reasons I am considering a roller or brush for the 2nd and maybe 3rd Poly Brush coat is the pinholes that occur when applying the 2nd Poly Brush coat sprayed on must be areas that were not filled with the brushed on 1st coat. A 2nd brushed on coat would eliminate any areas missed with the 1st coat. The 2nd reason is it is easier to roller and I'm not sure a sprayed on coat would be any smoother than a properly rolled one. My 1st brushed on coat is as smooth as it could get. Proper brush technique is, apply and leave it be. Any extra brushing with mek based highly volitile carrier paints is futile. I watched my partners at Oshkosh in the mini covering class attempt to "dab" Poly Tak. They couldn't apply an 8" long strip of Poly Tak with their dab method before the 1st 6" of Poly Tak had dried.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 Rebuild
Rockford, IL
Quote:
Subject: Re: Poly Fiber Polybrush
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:15:11 -0800

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "darinh" <gerns25(at)netscape.net>

Pat,

I sprayed mine so I can't answer your question but I would be most worried about even coverage with a brush. Also, the chance of brush marks/roller marks would steer me away from this approach. Just curious, why would you consider brushing or rolling these coats?

As I understand it, the Polybrush is one of the most important steps to do right or you get major problems with pinholes. Having just finished my color coats, I am happy to say that my paint went way better than I could have hoped. I followed the Poly Fiber manual to the letter as far as the polybrush and polyspray are considered.

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7 (Painting)
914 Turbo
Kaysville, Utah

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=168129#168129

&====================

Quote:

[quote][b]

darinh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

Pat,

You are correct in that if you didn't get the proper amount applied with the first brush coat, then a second brush coat would be beneficial to seal and prevent pinholes. However, I have found that if you follow the manual exactly as it is written, you will have no problems with pinholes...at least I didn't.

On the brush/roller technique being as smooth as spraying, I will have to respectfully disagree. I have never seen a brushed or rolled finish be even close to as smooth as a sprayed finish. I am not saying it won't work, I just think it is much more work and you have more of a chance of missing an area. If you decide to go this route, let us know how it turns out.

Kaysville, Utah
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

That can be done....BUT!!! don’t expect those coats of poly brush to be even and DO expect lots of lint etc in those coats. You will be spraying the final coats so why not spray the poly brush??

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C8803B.A2FC5210[/img]

Noel Loveys
Campbellton, NL, Canada
CDN AME intern, PP-Rec
C-FINB, Kitfox III-A
582 B box, Ivo IFA, Aerocet 1100 floats
[url=noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca]noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca[/url]

Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:47 PM

Pat Reilly

Mod 3 Rebuild

Rockford, IL
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.18 KB
 Viewed:  6159 Time(s)

image001.jpg

flier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Poly Fiber Polybrush Reply with quote

You'll be VERY sorry if you don't spray. Polybrush self levels but only if it has time to flow out. Don't worry about pinholes as the spray coats will take care of those. If not, the Poly Spray coats will.

As already pointed out, any other application technique will leave brush marks and residue that will have to be corrected with Poly Spray and extended wet sanding. Lots more work and cost.

Regards,

Ted
962TC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: