Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottarden(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Prop selection Reply with quote

Guys!
I'm getting close to buying a Lightning kit. I'm not anywhere near being an aeronautical engineer, and am learning a TON from you guys! I have a question that I haven't seen addressed here. The lightning website calls for a fixed pitch prop. Would a cockpit adjustable/constant speed prop be applicable to this airframe and engine. I know that an oil pressure driven CS will not work with this engine, but there seem to be some good electric alternatives. I talked to the guys at Ivoprop and they said their inflight adjustable with the constant speed controller would work great for this application. I know I'm listening to sales-speak, but please educate me. It seems like a constant speed might give great take-off performance and at the same time give some better top end.
Buz? Rich? Nick? Jim?
--
Have a blessed day!
Scott C. Arden

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
info(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Prop selection Reply with quote

Scott,

I would not go with the IVO, although I have not flown it so maybe I don't
know but I have seen them come apart and have flown the airmaster which is
similar with no luck in this application. The wood 62 FK 58 is a great prop
for the aircraft for all around performance...

Nick

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

scottarden(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Prop selection Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick..
Rather than asking about specific products, I'm really inquiring about the concept of a constant speed with this airframe/engine. I know there are several manufacturers out there who make electric CS props and I wouldn't use one that doesn't have an impecable safety record (i.e. NO structural failures), I certainly don't want to suddenly find myself in a glider that used to be a powered airplane! I don't think that the liklihood of finding a guy like in Jim's video is too promising!!
--
Have a blessed day!
Scott C. Arden

---- flylightning <info(at)flylightning.net> wrote:
[quote]

Scott,

I would not go with the IVO, although I have not flown it so maybe I don't
know but I have seen them come apart and have flown the airmaster which is
similar with no luck in this application. The wood 62 FK 58 is a great prop
for the aircraft for all around performance...

Nick

--

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Prop selection Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/11/2008 11:09:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, scottarden(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:
Guys!
I'm getting close to buying a Lightning kit. I'm not anywhere near being an aeronautical engineer, and am learning a TON from you guys! I have a question that I haven't seen addressed here. The lightning website calls for a fixed pitch prop. Would a cockpit adjustable/constant speed prop be applicable to this airframe and engine. I know that an oil pressure driven CS will not work with this engine, but there seem to be some good electric alternatives. I talked to the guys at Ivoprop and they said their inflight adjustable with the constant speed controller would work great for this application. I know I'm listening to sales-speak, but please educate me. It seems like a constant speed might give great take-off performance and at the same time give some better top end.
Buz? Rich? Nick? Jim?

I am not one of those 4, but I have worked with IVO props.

I think they work great on Rotax geared engines and can supply high thrust at low speeds, particularly the 3 blade. But they dont handle power pulses real well as in a direct drive. Also they have a top speed peak.

The two-blade Sensinich adjustable has supplied greater speed in one application I am familiar with, where it replaced a 3 blade IVO inflight adjust.

The IVO inflight adjust is a decent unit, but only on a geared Rotax. The brushes for the blade pitch motor seem to have a short life.

Given the extra expense for a really decent inflight adjust, I dont think it is worth it. The guys at Titan have an electric 4 blade inflight adjust to go with their geared engines. If memory serves, that prop costs about $20,000!!! The european designs are in the same price range.

Another consideration is a prop strike. With a wood prop, it is not likely to do much damage to the engine in a "gopher hole" strike. A thousand bucks or less and you are flying again. Not so with an inflight.

For some reason it is becoming increasingly popular to hang every gizmo possible on the Lightning airframe. It takes longer to wire up the TV's, radios and gizmos than it does to assemble the airframe! Some refuse to fly with less than two GPS's!!! Not only does it increase the cost, weight and complexity, but has a performance price tag also.

I suspect Inflight adjust doesn't make a plane go faster, it just lets you decrease the RPMs for the same speeds. It can give more ground thrust because of a flatter bite. The Lightning gets off the ground and climbs just fine even with a "cruise" prop.

Just my thoughts

doug koenigsberg

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Prop selection Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/11/2008 11:09:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, scottarden(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:
said their inflight adjustable with the constant speed controller would work great for this application.

Scott,
Doug pretty much covered my thoughts when he said that the inflight adjustable is not any faster if you have the right fixed pitch cruise prop. With an adjustable prop you may get a slightly shorter takeoff and slightly more rate of climb, but the cost of that in my book is not worth it. If you build your Lightning light the takeoff roll will be relatively short even with a cruise prop. Even at gross on a hot day, I never see a takeoff roll much over 600 to 700 feet and the rate of climb is still 1000 fpm or better. Most of my TO rolls are around 500 feet or less. If you want to operate out of a short strip with steep approaches, then don't use a cruise prop.
Second thought, don't confuse an inflight adjustable with a constant speed. They are two different things. A true constant speed must have some sort of governor (normally operated by engine oil) that keeps the engine rpm constant regardless of what you do with the nose of the airplane. It is constantly varying the pitch of the prop to achieve this. An inflight adjustable only allows you to change the pitch from the cockpit, and it uses an electric motor to change the pitch. The prop blades then stay where you set them until you re-adjust. So once you set the pitch it stays there and the rpm will vary as you raise or lower the nose of the airplane - just like a fixed pitch. If some company has an electric governor to make a true constant speed electric prop, then I suspect it would be very costly and heavy. I have not seen or read about this feature.
Sensenich has been showing an electric in flight adjustable hub for the last year or so at OSH and LAL. Don't know when it might be available, but I seem to remember that it is a $6,000.00 option.  Not worth it in my book.
I also agree completely with Doug's thoughts of keeping your homebuilt airplane simple. In the long run you will have fewer problems and a much cheaper airplane to build and maintain. Remember that the cost that you pay for builder's assistance programs is based on the basic airplane. When you add complicated systems you greatly add to the build time and you should expect to pay for that extra time. Heck, even fitting wheel pants and gear leg fairings add a lot of time. It took me over a week to do mine, but I was kind of doing it the first time.
One other thought and I will put down my hammer - the builders assist programs have certain avionics and equipment that they are familiar with because they have successfully used those many time. They can easily wire them and they will work the first time. My suggestion is to go with their suggestion as to which radio, X-ponder, EIS and EFIS to use if you are going the fancy panel route. That will make their job easier and should take less time - therefore less $s for you.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: