Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernieth(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Hi,
The UK accident report is very well written, and everyone should understand what went wrong in this accident, and how not to fly your XL

Following the link below to the uk report. The majority of loads are carried by the front spar, section E being critical. This pilot was flying the plane out of its normal operating range, and pushed it to far.

Do Not Archive.
E.

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:51 AM, Peter Chapman <pchapman(at)ionsys.com (pchapman(at)ionsys.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: Peter Chapman <pchapman(at)ionsys.com (pchapman(at)ionsys.com)>

At 13:14 11-05-07, you wrote:

>--> Zenith-List message posted by: "PatrickW" <pwhoyt(at)yahoo.com (pwhoyt(at)yahoo.com)>
>
>Just got an email alert of another one that went down in the UK.
>
>Yahoo! Alerts Yahoo! News - My Alerts - Edit Alert
>Friday, May 11, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
>
>Wing spar failed in plane crash
>Yorkshire Post Today Fri, 11 May 2007 5:25 AM PDT
>TWO men who died when a light aircraft plummeted to the ground in a
>ball of flames were the victims of a break in the plane's wing
>structure, a report has revealed. (11/05/2007 10:21:12)

Synopsis:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/may_2007/zenair_ch601ul__g_yoxi.cfm
Report:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/Zenair%20CH601UL,%20G-YOXI%2005-07.pdf

Haven't read it in detail, but they believe a hard pull up from a low
pass (possibly to avoid wires) was a cause.
Still one can always question how much extra margin one has in any
airplane. It can be nice if a gap between Yield and Ultimate stress
allows a pilot to come back home alive, even if the wings are bent...

According to the British AAIB, it was a CH-601 UL, built from a Czech
Aircraft Works Quick Build kit.

Given the frustration voiced here with the US FAA, over another accident,
it is very interesting to note that the AAIB report provides some
analysis of the nature of the structural failure, that also includes
engineering input from the manufacturer.

Peter Chapman
Toronto, ON 601 HDS / 912 / C-GZDC

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Just an observation: the UK report is about a CH601-UL, not XL. The wing is similar to the CH601-HD, which is a design different from the XL. The pictures in the PDF show this clearly.

Carlos
CH601-HD, plans

On 12/03/2008, ernie <ernieth(at)gmail.com (ernieth(at)gmail.com)> wrote:[quote] Hi,
The UK accident report is very well written, and everyone should understand what went wrong in this accident, and how not to fly your XL

Following the link below to the uk report. The majority of loads are carried by the front spar, section E being critical. This pilot was flying the plane out of its normal operating range, and pushed it to far.

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

daveaustin2(at)primus.ca

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

I agree with you Carlos, and the report also showed that it is of no use to randomly increase the strength of anything until the weak link is determined. Extra ribs and no baggage compartment would not have saved that a/c. Nor would a ballistic parachute have saved the occupants.
There can be good hope that the Australian authorities will do as good an investigation as the CAA in Britain did and then we will know.
Dave Austin 601HDS - 912, Spitfire Mk VIII
[quote][b]

ernieth(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Hello,

I think my point is maneuvering speed.
If your canopy is hit by a bird at 120 knots and you yank all the way back on the controls you are in trouble.
This document is a good write up on what not to do with your CH601-<__> plane.
Do not archive
E.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Carlos Sa <carlossa52(at)gmail.com (carlossa52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Just an observation: the UK report is about a CH601-UL, not XL. The wing is similar to the CH601-HD, which is a design different from the XL. The pictures in the PDF show this clearly.

Carlos
CH601-HD, plans

On 12/03/2008, ernie <ernieth(at)gmail.com (ernieth(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

[b]

amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

All,
read the report. First to the guys looking for third party stress analysis, you have it in the report, so save your money.

Secondly, the report clearly concludes the pilot flew the plane past the manuavering speed into cruise speed area and manauvered the plane in high G load. As I said before, and again reiterate: the plane is safe, its the pilot, you need to fly it by the numbers. the V speed Limits are not there for to fill up paper space in your POH!

Cruise speed is cruise speed. Manauvering speed is that! a speed at which the plane will take the designed G limits up to a certain weight in the plane.

fly the plane by the numbers. This accident can happen to ANY aircraft not flown by the numbers, even an EXTRA 300! in the EXTAR 300 POH it is clear, Accrobatics limited to under a certain weight and speed.

Save the rocket science responses from the other arm chair engineers, this is plain english.

Great plane, great design, pilot needs to fly by the numbers. Get too comfy, and well, you know the rest.

Juan

--

Iberplanes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Where´s the report? Can you submit the link? Please.

Thanks in advance.

Alberto Martin
Iberplanes IGL
http://www.iberplanes.es
Igualada - Barcelona - España

---

Igualada - Barcelona - Spain
haven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

The link is in the first post.

bill_dom(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Juan,

The accident in the UK is of no concern to us and it is not what have prompted this discussion. In this case it was concluded that the plane was overstressed beyond its limits, furthermore, this plane was a 601UL so whatever happened there, does not apply to us building or flying XL since the wing is completely different.

The concern with the XL is that there have been 3 confirmed structural failures and 2 unconfirmed ones. The difference between the XL wing failures and all the others is that the XL incidents have been so far inconclusive.

Since the third accident last year, I've been searched and read lots of reports about this type of failure in other airplanes. What I have found is that in all the other cases, metallurgical analysis have proved that overstressing was the cause. This included certificated as well as AB wing failure cases.

William Dominguez
Zodiac 601XL Plans
Miami Florida
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dom
Juan Vega <amyvega2005(at)earthlink.net> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: Juan Vega

All,
read the report. First to the guys looking for third party stress analysis, you have it in the report, so save your money.

Secondly, the report clearly concludes the pilot flew the plane past the manuavering speed into cruise speed area and manauvered the plane in high G load. As I said before, and again reiterate: the plane is safe, its the pilot, you need to fly it by the numbers. the V speed Limits are not there for to fill up paper space in your POH!

Cruise speed is cruise speed. Manauvering speed is that! a speed at which the plane will take the designed G limits up to a certain weight in the plane.

fly the plane by the numbers. This accident can happen to ANY aircraft not flown by the numbers, even an EXTRA 300! in the EXTAR 300 POH it is clear, Accrobatics limited to under a certain weight and speed.

Save the rocket science responses from the other arm chair engineers, this is plain english.

Great plane, great design, pilot needs to fly by the numbers. Get too comfy, and well, you know the rest.

Juan

--

MHerder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

I don't think that this particular case has much to do with the incidents in question but..... I think its interesting to note the differences in the report provided in the UK versus what the NTSB provides. Hopefully the Aussies will do such an in depth investigation without some sort of BS conclusion like....

"The probable cause is the pilots failure to avoid hitting the ground" Well no shit. I'm glad my taxes fund such efforts.

Finally Flying
tigerrick(at)mindspring.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Hi, Juan, et al.

I have it on pretty good authority that the failure modes we've recently seen strongly suggest negative G loading of the wing and spar way beyond design limits. This can be done with a sudden forward stick (down elevator) deflection. Since there's 30 degrees of down elevator available in the 601, well more than actually is needed, this can create negative G loading beyond limits causing wing/spar deformation or even failure if done sharply.

The two obvious solutions are to fly the airplane as it was designed, and for extra insurance, install an elevator stop that limits down travel to 15 degrees or so. The 601 has all sorts of down elevator authority, perhaps to counteract improper rear CG loading of the baggage compartment or lighter engines, but way more than is actually needed in normal flight operations.

You can also make sudden turns in your car at high speeds, inducing loss of control with fatal results. But we just don't do these things conciously. And I suspect that the pilots in the 601s in question didn't do it consciously, either, but as a response to a sudden in-flight emergency such as a bird strike.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm gonna wait to see what the guys at Zenith have to say before signing on to pay an outside source to review the design.

Rick Lindstrom
N42KP Zenvair

--

amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

William,
to say the incident post is dispositive is frankly misguided. A zenith crashed based on the same situation that occured in the other cases. Read the report, and stick to flying and enjoying a great plane that is very well desinged, I will.

Juan

--

tjs22t(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Quote:
I have it on pretty good authority that the failure modes we've recently seen strongly suggest negative G loading of the wing and spar way beyond design limits.

You wouldn't want to back this up with some actual sources? facts? design reviews? published reports? Anything at all to suggest that this is no more than pissin' in the wind??? Didn't think so.

do not archive because the sky is falling!
[quote][b]

ernieth(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

It is a very similar aircraft, flow beyond its limits.
I believe it makes very good reading even if the wing is different.
everyone should read it if they fly a 601-<__> that they built.
Do not archive

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:36 AM, William Dominguez <bill_dom(at)yahoo.com (bill_dom(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] Juan,

The accident in the UK is of no concern to us and it is not what have prompted this discussion. In this case it was concluded that the plane was overstressed beyond its limits, furthermore, this plane was a 601UL so whatever happened there, does not apply to us building or flying XL since the wing is completely different.

The concern with the XL is that there have been 3 confirmed structural failures and 2 unconfirmed ones. The difference between the XL wing failures and all the others is that the XL incidents have been so far inconclusive.

Since the third accident last year, I've been searched and read lots of reports about this type of failure in other airplanes. What I have found is that in all the other cases, metallurgical analysis have proved that overstressing was the cause. This included certificated as well as AB wing failure cases.

William Dominguez
Zodiac 601XL Plans
Miami Florida
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dom
Juan Vega <amyvega2005(at)earthlink.net (amyvega2005(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: Juan Vega

All,

Juan

--

Matt Ronics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

tigerrick(at)mindspring.c wrote:

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm gonna wait to see what the guys at Zenith have to say before signing on to pay an outside source to review the design.

While considering the 601Xl and 701, I called Zenith on exactly this. This was after they did the negative G load static testing.

When I called, I was told that Nick was the only one who would speak on this issue, and that Nick would call me when he was available. Very professional, Nick called me back and answered all my questions. To summarize the discussion, the underlying message was "testing complete, mission accomplished, don't worry about it."

This did not allay my concerns and I chose the 701. I would would have built the 601HD concern-free but reasoned that the speed of the 601HD/S over the 701 was not significant (for my purposes) and that I like the short-field performance of the 701, video assistance, etc, over the HD designs.

tigerrick(at)mindspring.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Jeez, Thomas. Who put bitch flakes in your bowl this morning?

Because of my close association with a certain aviation periodical, and my promise not to steal anybody's thunder prematurely, I've commented as far as I can.

All I can say (right now) is that the powers that be at Zenith are very aware of this issue, have devoted significant resources to precisely identify the failure mode, and will most likely be going public with their findings in short order.

To heap scorn on Zenith, assume they're doing nothing, and commit to taking the design to an outside engineer for validation is premature, in my opinion. The Zenith guys have no shortage of professional concern and integrity, and need to be given the chance to respond.

In the mean time, it would serve us all well to take a deep breath, chill, and give those wing tips a good shake during preflight if we have any reservations about flying.

"Pissing in the wind?" I await your apology.

Rick

--

barcusc(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Rick,

Yours is a thoughtful response and I suspect there could be some truth in
it, however, that is the type of information I want to hear from the
designer. If this post came from Zenith I would have a whole different
perspective. If there is the chance that is the most likely reason you would
think they would advise or suggest a maximum degree of down travel on heavy
installations like the Continental or Corvair engines.
Clyde Barcus
---

lwinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Rick,

I understand that you want to wait "to see what the guys at Zenith have to say before signing on to pay an outside source to review the design." My concern is that they apparently feel they have said everything there is to say.

Do you know for a fact that they are going to say anything more on the subject, other than "testing complete, mission accomplished, case closed"?

Larry Winger

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

Installing fuel system
www.mykitlog.com/lwinger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lwinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Asked and answered before I sent "Send". Should have checked my inbox.

Larry Winger

Do Not Archive
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Larry Winger <larrywinger(at)gmail.com (larrywinger(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Rick,

I understand that you want to wait "to see what the guys at Zenith have to say before signing on to pay an outside source to review the design." My concern is that they apparently feel they have said everything there is to say.

Do you know for a fact that they are going to say anything more on the subject, other than "testing complete, mission accomplished, case closed"?

Larry Winger

Do Not Archive

[b]

Installing fuel system
www.mykitlog.com/lwinger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

This is getting interesting. The few hints Rick provided help make sense out of some of the other information that has surfaced.

Rick, care to tell me which periodical I should subscribe to?

Tim

do not archive

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
swater6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: British 601 Crash (was: 601 Crash) Reply with quote

Rick,
Thanks for the update. Please let us know when you can share more.

For those of you that don't read Kitplanes magazine, Rick is the one that built the first XL from a quickbuild kit and did a great eight series report on the build last year. You also may have seen it at Sun-n-Fun last year.

I think he's got some credibility as someone with potential inside info. While I know we all want info now (me too), I can understand why Zenith would want to be fully prepared before commenting publicly. (Although I hope the response and info is better than last time)

Now, Maybe Mark Townsend from can-zac can chime in too???? please???

PS. I'm still planning on making a lot of aluminum chips in my basement this weekend.... Laughing

www.scottwaters.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: