Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liquid cooling-alternative engines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcomfo(at)tc3net.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I have great respect and admiration for the
Tracy Crooks, Jess Meyers and Ed Andersens who have tackled the problems
associated with alternative engines and succeeded. If I were 30 years
younger I might take a shot at it myself. I think it was Bob Nuckolls who
quoted Charles Kettering as saying, and I paraphrase,"You fail, perhaps many
times, until you succeed." The task is solvable but for every success there
are many failures. My comments are meant to call attention to a few of the
large problems to those whose expectations may be unrealistic. In no way do
I mean to put down anyone's efforts in this arena.

Gordon Comfort
N363GC

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tracy(at)rotaryaviation.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

No offense taken at all Gordon. I know that I and Ed (probably Jess too) welcome all well reasoned critiques. One of the down sides of alternative engines is that they are constantly evolving, many times for the better and as a result of comments by others.

Tracy Crook
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Gordon or Marge <gcomfo(at)tc3net.com (gcomfo(at)tc3net.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV-List message posted by: "Gordon or Marge" <gcomfo(at)tc3net.com (gcomfo(at)tc3net.com)>

This is an interesting thread. I have great respect and admiration for the
Tracy Crooks, Jess Meyers and Ed Andersens who have tackled the problems
associated with alternative engines and succeeded. If I were 30 years
younger I might take a shot at it myself. I think it was Bob Nuckolls who
quoted Charles Kettering as saying, and I paraphrase,"You fail, perhaps many
times, until you succeed." The task is solvable but for every success there
are many failures. My comments are meant to call attention to a few of the
large problems to those whose expectations may be unrealistic. In no way do
I mean to put down anyone's efforts in this arena.

Gordon Comfort
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

You, Bet! I agree with Tracy.

I love having folks look over my installation when I have the cowl off. More than one (non-alternative engine) guy has pointed out areas where I could make improvements and/or improve reliability/safety.

I love to tinker and experiments with intakes, exhausts, throttle bodies, injectors, etc. In fact, I got to thinking recently about all the changes made and realized that the only items that are still part of the original 1997 installation are:
1. The engine mount
2. The exhaust Headers
3. The ignition system
4. The Fuel system

All else has been changed (at least once). Now for most folks who are mainly into the flying aspect this would be unacceptable - and rightly so, but for me its a delight - did I mention I love to experiment?

I reduced the weight of my induction system to 11 lbs through use of thin wall tubing for runners and two part polyurethane castings for the throttle body mount and plenum - about 5 different intakes throughout the 10 years. I must have tried 5-6 different approaches to the experimental exhaust systems before finally admitting that an off-the-self muffler (a specific make) would survive the exhaust of a rotary and will give reasonable aerodynamic and weight figures. Then there was the area of air flow and cooling and that is an entire world in itself with black magic and state of the art science running neck and neck {:>)

As Tracy mentioned, as we gain experience and knowledge the internet and lists such as this makes it much easier to assist others reducing the risk and aggravation that some of us faced in the early days. Still risky - always will be - that's why its called experimental. But, with the dissemination of the good, the bad, and the ugly - folks can make a more informed decision than in the past. That can only be good for the alternative engine community and experimental aircraft in general.

Ed

[quote] ---

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
billoves2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

There seems to be one alternative engine that merits a closer look. It doesn't have the problems of trying to adapt liquid cooling to your craft. Corvair. William Waynne seems to have engineered this engine to the extent that it is a reliable 100 hp power plant.Horizontally opposed 6 cyl on the cheap! See it on the flycorvair site.

---

khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

It seems to be roughly 80 lb heavier than a Rotax 912, so it probably isn't suitable for an RV-12, and it doesn't have enough power to be suitable for other RV models.
--
Kevin Horton

On 15 Mar 2008, at 17:13, William Dean wrote:
[quote]There seems to be one alternative engine that merits a closer look. It doesn't have the problems of trying to adapt liquid cooling to your craft. Corvair. William Waynne seems to have engineered this engine to the extent that it is a reliable 100 hp power plant.Horizontally opposed 6 cyl on the cheap! See it on the flycorvair site.

---

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling-alternative engines Reply with quote

The Corvair is an excellent alternative engine -provided you need 100 HP or less. Not quite suitable for most RVs, however. While the RV will fly on 100 HP - the take off run is excessively long {:>)

Ed
Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com (eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com)
http://www.andersonee.com
http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#N494BW
http://www.dmack.net/mazda/index.html

[quote] ---

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: