Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANR Headset Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Green

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: ANR Headset Upgrade Reply with quote

I had planned to have an ANR headset for this summer but hated to pay the price. I had decided to do the upgrade, that some have discussed recently, to my passive headset. While looking for some hearing protection for a problem area at work I ran across a set of ANR ear muffs for use in industrial environments and they even had a 3.5mm audio input jack. Wow only needs a mic. Specs. are 26db NRR passive and 20 db NRR active in the 100 to 200 hz range. The ANR range is 20 to 1000 but is rated at 20 db from 100 to 200 hz.

The UPS truck dropped off a package today and I went to work. I mounted the mic from an old headset to the battery cover which required drilling one hole. I also made a piece from 0.050 aluminum to stiffen the location where I was mounting the mic. Everything works well but I have not tested it in flight yet. I will give a report after some in-flight testing, maybe this weekend.

Did I mention they were $149. I have attached a link to the website. I bought them from an online store called Active Forever, They had them in stock.

Hope to fly this weekend.
Steven

http://www.noisebuster.net/nb-safety.htm

[img]cid:7F6E8052FA3545F6919DD6A664F15E63(at)GreensPC[/img] [img]cid:E5C4063668564FB7A6019B2FBECDCF4A(at)GreensPC[/img]
[img]cid:13FA034F15B74E4BB12ACB2C3A1ABA8B(at)GreensPC[/img] [img]cid:D30C7E8BC0354D36B598D0F470FE31D8(at)GreensPC[/img]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Out_of_Box.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.95 KB
 Viewed:  169 Time(s)

Out_of_Box.jpg

Battery_Cover_Drilled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.12 KB
 Viewed:  160 Time(s)

Battery_Cover_Drilled.jpg

Mic_Mounted_to_Batt_cover.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.3 KB
 Viewed:  164 Time(s)

Mic_Mounted_to_Batt_cover.jpg

Finished.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.52 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

Finished.jpg

Steven Green

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: ANR Headset Upgrade Reply with quote

Got a chance to fly for about 45 minutes today with the adapted ANR headset. It does a very good job. I am satisfied for now. The longivity test begins now. How long will it last????

I had only used an ANR headset for about 30 minutes about a year ago so I cannot compare it to any other sets.

Steven
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: ANR Headset Upgrade Reply with quote

Hi Steve/All,

My Headsets, Inc. conversion on a pair of David Clark H10-80's is about 14 years old. Used in corporate ops all that time, never a failure. The original DC strain relief is cracking, si I'm calling the Headsets Inc. folks to replace it as the new version does.

Highly recommend them! I've used Bose, Sennheiser, DC, and lower-cost ANR headsets, and the Headsets Inc. product is every bit as quiet.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: