Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar Versus Firefly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Firestar Versus Firefly Reply with quote

Group,

I have had a question about the safety of the Firefly in windy conditions. Anyone have a fair amount in a Firefly AND a Firestar? Just pondering the differences. The Firestar weighs more but it also has more wing area. Anyone know which one has the highest wing loading. Lastly, If a Firestar and a Firefly were being flown cross country would a Firefly be more vulnerable if the wind got a little brisk, or would they both behave about the same.

Ed FF#62  

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rowedenny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Firestar Versus Firefly Reply with quote

[quote]
Group,

I have had a question about the safety of the Firefly in windy conditions. Anyone have a fair amount in a Firefly AND a Firestar? Just pondering the differences. The Firestar weighs more but it also has more wing area. Anyone know which one has the highest wing loading. Lastly, If a Firestar and a Firefly were being flown cross country would a Firefly be more vulnerable if the wind got a little brisk, or would they both behave about the same.

Ed FF#62  

Ed,
This is worth less than you payed for it myself only having flown an old original Twinstar and my own Mk-3, but I would guess not much differance between a Fly and a FS. In fact with the smaller wing I would not be surprised if the quicker handling Firefly would be easier in rough air as well as on the ground in high wind.
Less wing for the wind to blow around.

Denny Rowe

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

beauford173(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Firestar Versus Firefly Reply with quote

Ed:
Routinely operate the Fly in pretty fair (15-25 mph) breezes...no problem except for folding and unfolding the wings in airish conditions while working alone.. IMHO, that is the single most problematic part of operating it in winds. On landings in higher crosswinds the first thing it used to run out of was rudder, but the VG's on the vertical tail have improved that situation. Mine has the big 15 inch chord ailerons and they seem to give plenty of authority to handle crosswinds. I never droop 'em while landing in crosswinds, and I would sure wheel land it with some power if the crosswinds were stout. Never flew a Firestar, but usually a shortwing gives a better ride in rough air...I know from experience that's the case in Pipers. Not sure what cross country vulnearability you are referring to... generally, if you can get it off and back onto the ground in reusable condition, the cross country part (aside from the fascinating 25 mph groundspeeds one occasionally sees) is just a matter of how rough you like it and what you had for breakfast.

WWYPFI

breezy beauford
ff-076

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Firestar Versus Firefly Reply with quote

Denny:

That is my impression between the two aircraft. The FF is better in rough air, as is the SS, with their wings 5 feet shorter than the FS..

john h
mkIII
[quote] In fact with the smaller wing I would not be surprised if the quicker handling Firefly would be easier in rough air as well as on the ground in high wind.
Quote:
Less wing for the wind to blow around.

Denny Rowe

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Don G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar Versus Firefly Reply with quote

I have always believe the FireFly was about the best little airplane at handling crosswinds of anything in the 500 lb class....or maybe even 600 ponders...
If you want to see from the pilots seat how the Fly works in a 25 knot 90 degree wind...take a look at the video on my brothers page here

http://www.dgmodels.rchomepage.com/index.htm

its about halfway down....past the models..

Look close at the very begining at the windsock...standing straight as a board...And the FireFly was completely predictable and no sweat to control at all.

there were 2 Firestar owners there that day...hanger mates , and they both told me after I was done they would dare fly in this wind...
And for what its worth, My Kitfox speedster is 700 lbs empty and is way too much of a handful on the ground to fly comfortably in the same conditions. It will do it...but its a thrill....and more risky.

FireStar land slower, and lifts more though, so for cross country...it might be a better pick. with a 503 it oughtta be almost as fast as a FFly. Hard to say.
I alway thought if I build another FireFly, I would not cut the wing spar tube and leave it as shipped, which would add almost 2 feet of wing.( 20 inchs if I remember right ..not quite a FireStar...but all you would need is to add a rib on each side and you make better use of the materials sent, and The Fly would land a tad slower and haul a bit more without getting mushy...sort of a cross between them.......... Splitting hairs maybe....

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: