Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: New Tips Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/17/2008 5:56:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dashvii(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Still anxious to see pics of the new wingtips.

Hi Brian,
I have the CAD program (I think it is CAD that Nick sent to me some time ago) that shows the new tips and the program allows you to rotate the basic drawing to view it from any angle. Neat program.  I will put some pixs of the new tip in the next newsletter.
For those of you that might be new to the list, these new tips will extend the Lightning wing and thus increase the wing area in order to lower the clean stall speed. Up until now, most Lightnings that were built to meet light sport parameters used VGs to get the clean stall to 45 knots or below. Depending on how light you built your Lightning, some have been able to made the max stall speed without VGs. For example, I think Earl's N17EF was able to meet the 45 knot limit without VGs, but Earl worked at keeping his airplane very light. There may be others as well. But with these new tips, the stall should be below 45 knots clean for all Lightnings. Arion may have a pre-production tip to show at Sun-N-Fun or Oshkosh, but Nick will test fly them on the prototype before they become available for the production airplane.
For builders that think they may want to use these new tips on your airplane, and you are building now, the thing to do is to install the current tips with screws so that they can be removed and the new tips added in the future. The other thing to do (or not to do) if you want your Lightning to meet light sport parameters is to not install the "go fast" gear leg fairings and wheel pants. You can probably install some other wheel pants, but the standard Lightning pants are the latest style and will really clean up your airplane and thus cruise too fast at the max continuous rpm that is published for the Jab 3300.
Blue Skies,
Buz

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: New Tips Reply with quote

Buz,
Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing those wingtip extensions.  If they look like what we talked about it'll add a little more wing area without adding much drag penalty (adding a foot of length to each wing would gain about 6 sq. feet if memory serves, and therefore over 6% additional wing area, base on 90 some odd sq. ft. of wing area total) This should help for those flying long cross countries to have an even more stable ride and increase climb rates and decrease takeoff rolls.

On a side note, for anybody closing up that flap gap that added these tips, they'd cause slightly more drag, but I doubt you'd loose more than maybe 1 knot on speed, but it should give back anything lost due to an increased takeoff roll for closing off the gap being offset by more wing area. It would also lower the stall speed. Brian W.
Quote:
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:23:08 -0400
Subject: New Tips
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com

In a message dated 3/17/2008 5:56:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dashvii(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Still anxious to see pics of the new wingtips.

Hi Brian,
I have the CAD program (I think it is CAD that Nick sent to me some time ago) that shows the new tips and the program allows you to rotate the basic drawing to view it from any angle. Neat program. I will put some pixs of the new tip in the next newsletter.
For those of you that might be new to the list, these new tips will extend the Lightning wing and thus increase the wing area in order to lower the clean stall speed. Up until now, most Lightnings that were built to meet light sport parameters used VGs to get the clean stall to 45 knots or below. Depending on how light you built your Lightning, some have been able to made the max stall speed without VGs. For example, I think Earl's N17EF was able to meet the 45 knot limit without VGs, but Earl worked at keeping his airplane very light. There may be others as well. But with these new tips, the stall should be below 45 knots clean for all Lightnings. Arion may have a pre-production tip to show at Sun-N-Fun or Oshkosh, but Nick will test fly them on the prototype before they become available for the production airplane.
For builders that think they may want to use these new tips on your airplane, and you are building now, the thing to do is to install the current tips with screws so that they can be removed and the new tips added in the future. The other thing to do (or not to do) if you want your Lightning to meet light sport parameters is to not install the "go fast" gear leg fairings and wheel pants. You can probably install some other wheel pants, but the standard Lightning pants are the latest style and will really clean up your airplane and thus cruise too fast at the max continuous rpm that is published for the Jab 3300.
Blue Skies,
Buz

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
Quote:

" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: