Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Takeoff & landing & stall help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Takeoff & landing & stall help Reply with quote

My instructor and I are learning how to fly my MKIII! Flying it is not hard taking off is a bit tricky for both of us. Landing he does good. I do fair.

He has over 2000hrs in phantoms and Challengers. He currently flies a challenger II.

We are still getting used to the plane and have a few questions for you experienced kolb guys.

Today I almost took out a runway light on takeoff. My instructor is pretty sure we were hit by a cross wind gust just after I raised the tail. Anyway the plane made a hard veer to the right when the tail came up then I over corrected and made it veer left and then It really went right back into the wind and off the side of the runway. We got off the ground in time.

my plane stalls at 45mph indicated

We are raising the tail at about 40 to 45mph and rotating at 55mph. Climb at 60 to 65mph. These seem to be good numbers. How do your numbers compare?

Do you guys have the VNE speed for the MKIII and the max flap speed ?

What is the best way to make a crosswind take off on asphalt or grass?

Is it ok to hold the tail on the ground until rotation speed?

Landings:
We approach at 65 mph engine idle We are making the landing at idle and using power as necessary on the approach. 65 mph give plenty of energy for a nice touch down. We have not experience the So called kolb drop. The only drop was my high flair. Very Happy

I am having a hard time judging when to round out. I want to round out fairly close to the ground and my instructor gets nervous and is telling me to round out higher. he says if I miss it by a second we are going to hit the ground hard or fly right into the ground and kill us. We are having radio trouble too. Since we cant communicate he just doesn't know if I am going to round out or not. He has military headsets and 1 GA headset. I have comtronic which is not compatable. I bought a cord thats suppose to adapt the GA headset to my comtronics. The head set works but the GA mic doesnt work. Does anyone have a used mic for a good price that might work or a comtronic headset with mic?
His landings are good. The one I tried a little higher involved dropping the plane fairly hard and bouncing 3 times! Those gear legs are tough! I made the last landing of the day and it was a perfect power off landing. I really don't know what I did different.

Stalls: Is it normal for the MK III to give very little to no warning of an oncoming power off stall? There is really no waring signs. the plane breaks at 45mph.
With power on the disrupted airflow over the wing spills into the prop making a lot of prop noise but this is about 1 second before the plane stalls which doesn't give much warning.

Thanks,

Grant

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
grantr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeoff & landing & stall help Reply with quote

I have had a few good comments and tips. Does anyone else want to chime in? Come on guys i know you all have some sort of technique. Smile

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeoff & landing & stall help Reply with quote

grantr wrote:
I have had a few good comments and tips. Does anyone else want to chime in? Come on guys i know you all have some sort of technique. Smile

Well I can relate my FS II time, hopefully some of which will be pertinent to the mark III.

It definitely is a tailwheel airplane, tho it's quite docile, so it certainly can get wild on you if ithe tail goes ape in one direction or the other. I had one or two of the back/forth takeoffs in the FS II when I was very early on with it, tho fortunately didn't get off the runway or anything. Differential braking saved the bacon on one of the takeoffs. Slowly applying throttle helps a great deal and was the technique used since then.

As for the landing, the FS II in particular is a low-inertia design, so it lands a lot more like an ultralight than the big iron. You run out of energy pretty quick in the roundout and flare, but you don't necessarily have to drive it onto the runway either (unless you're wheel landing it in some wind).

I'd try a slower roundout to get a good idea of what things should look like at first. Assist that with a little bit of power to simulate a higher-inertia plane to slow the roundout down. Do this for a while to get used to it. Then start practicing without power for the real deal...

As for the stall, I don't recall there being anything strange about it, it's very conventional with no surprises. The FS II does give you all the warning signs, mushy controls, lightness in the butt, suddenly lots quieter, just like any other plane, but only for a very short time. Don't blink or you'll miss em! Again, typical of low-inertia planes.

LS

grantr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Takeoff & landing & stall help Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everyone for the helpful tips.

On the paved runway we have been forcing the tail off the ground around 40 to 45mph. It takes some forward pressure on the stick to unstick the tail. This is usually where it gets squirrelly as the plane wants to dart to the left from the engine torque and p factor.. We lift off at 55 as the tires begin to shake from being worn and out of balance.

From all of the post this is the wrong approach. We should be taking off with full back or neutral stick and let the tail lift on its own.

My plane does not have differential brakes on it either so its all rudder for the steering. The grass landings are easier to handle than the paved landings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: