Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Just an update on the Firestar project. Both wings have had the holes patched. One wing has a slight dent in a rib, behind the thickest part on the top. I don't think it will bother anything, and I'm certain no tubes were broken, so I'll leave it alone for now. Both wings are now on the plane, in the folded position. I had the muffler and manifold sandblasred for $20. I welded a "star" crack in the muffler intake elbow with a gasless MIG. Very delicate welding- I think the material is brittle, and thinned out. A lot of exterior pitting- salt air, maybe, as it came from Long Island and was flown frequently over salt water. The manifold was drilled for two more holes, and installed with a total of 6 bolts and new gaskets. The muffler is painted but not installed- too dark last night and raining today. The muffler was rubbing on the fan shroud- I'll have to space it out. The new tires I installed had cracks between the ribs, so Aircraft Spruce immediately exchanged them. Excellent service from them. I have the option of having a ground adjustable AOL by drilling a couple more holes in the front mounting adapter channels. It could give me a total of 3 available AOL's, if I set the aileron control rods correctly. Has anyone ever tried this? Keep in mind that the wing is 2 1/2" back from standard mounting. The gap seal will have to wait until I figure out whether I will build or borrow a trailer. I still have to set and weld new aileron control rods, switch out the bent landing gear legs, fix the static port on the ASI, and mostly wait out the miserable weather.
I am also eyeing the original wings for repair and modification, as my living room is empty again. The wife is still tolerating me, but I might be pushing it.

Bill Sullivan
FS l
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Busy day today- decent weather, and everybody left me alone. The KXP wings are now fully mounted and aligned. The aileron control rods are cut and welded, and being painted tomorrow. I changed both landing gear legs, as they were mis-matched and both bent. Tomorrow- paint the rods, install and adjust. Tighten and maybe re-locate the fuel pump- the aileron control horn bumps or is really close when folded. Maybe fix the ASI static line, and a little glue on some loose windshield trim. Progress, anyway.
Dana etc., the Ercoupes I flew - 3 or 4 different ones- all had the bubble canopy and rudder pedals. they were fairly new (in 1968) and had only minor differences. They cost $9700 back then, new. Lessons were $20 an hour- $14 for the plane (with gas) and $6 for the instructor.

Bill Sullivan
FS l
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

At 07:59 PM 3/22/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Busy day today- decent weather, and everybody left me alone. The KXP
wings are now fully mounted...

How soon do you think until you're ready to fly it?

Quote:
Dana etc., the Ercoupes I flew - 3 or 4 different ones- all had the
bubble canopy and rudder pedals. they were fairly new (in 1968) and had
only minor differences. They cost $9700 back then, new. Lessons were $20
an hour- $14 for the plane (with gas) and $6 for the instructor.

Ah, the good old days! Smile When I learned to fly in 1976 the C-150 was $15
wet and the instructor $10.

The only Ercoupe I ever flew (once) was an older (40's?) with no rudder
pedals. This was back in the mid 80's I guess. Didn't care for it all
that much, but I was in a "real men fly taildraggers" frame of mind...
hmmm, come to think of it I guess I still am! Smile

-Dana
--
Income tax: capital punishment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Dana- The plane should be ready in a couple of weeks- weather and interruptions permitting. I still have to make a wheel dolly that I can use with the wings folded. I also should find and modify a boat trailer, even if other transport is available. We also have to take a couple of refresher courses. I am usually lucky where my neck is concerned,but I do manage random acts of pure stupidity, just for variety. I would rather depend on training than memory, and my reading of air maps has been long gone.

do not archive
Bill Sullivan
FS l
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Almost done! Here is the official weight- 306.6 pounds. That is 254 dry, plus 24 for the BRS, plus 5 gallons of gas, for a target weight of 308. That is on a new digital scale. I had to weigh it several times, then weighed other stuff for calibration. It weighed the same, every time. I still need a gap seal, but I don't think that will go another pound. Here is what it is: Old model Firestar airframe with the high cockpit sides. Rotax 447 with 2 blade Warp Drive prop. BRS canister under the fuel tank. Full enclosure. Poly-tone paint on the pod, tube, and tail. Five rib KXP wings, modified to fit the cage. Aerothane paint on the wings. Old type skinny LG legs. 15-6.00x6 tires on three piece aluminum rims. Instruments- alcohol compass, ASI, tach, CHT, altimeter. No flaps, flaperons, brakes, pants, etc. Barn door ailerons. The bulk of the weight difference was removal of the padded wood used to keep the tail from moving in transit. I took off several stray antenna brackets, radio mount, and a strobe and bracket with no power unit. I still have to put in a five gallon overflow on the 10 gallon tank until I change it. Next immediate project is a dolly for moving the folded plane, probably like the one Jack H.built. Still looking for a trailer.
John- keep the updates coming! I am very interested in the difference with the droop tips. I still have two wings to re-build.
Good luck with the plane.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KXP

[quote][b]

Possums

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 07:24 PM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Almost done! Here is the official weight- 306.6 pounds. That is
254 dry, plus 24 for the BRS, plus 5 gallons of gas, for a target
weight of 308. That is on a new digital scale. I had to weigh it
several times, then weighed other stuff for calibration. It weighed
the same, every time. I still need a gap seal, but I don't think
that will go another pound. Here is what it is: Old model Firestar
airframe with the high cockpit sides.

That is amazing - the pig I fly weighs in at almost 400 pounds empty
- it's beefed up, but still......
I like the old Firestar airframe with the high cockpit sides.
Feels good to strap into something solid & gives you something to
lean on in turns.
(took the back lift strut off - not necessary - unless you are doing
something stupid)

Sideview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.67 KB
 Viewed:  708 Time(s)

Sideview.jpg

Dana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 07:24 PM 3/23/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Almost done! Here is the official weight- 306.6 pounds. That is 254
dry, plus 24 for the BRS, plus 5 gallons of gas, for a target weight of 308...

Cool! You gotta be getting psyched to fly it! I'm looking forward to
seeing it, too (have you decided where you'll be keeping it yet?). I was
skeptical you'd make 103 weight, but it looks like you've done it.

-Dana
--
Exceeding the legal fun limit on a regular basis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Possums- That is a lot more FS than I have. Better paint, too. I see wheel pants, brakes(?), double struts- front streamlined- and a radio antenna. Mine has single, round aluminum struts. My windshield just flexes, no hinge. The KXP wings on mine are full length-27' plus. It's hard to see your LG legs, but mine are the long skinny ones with a long taper. I also have a variety of other bent ones, including some short ones with a long taper. I have some spare struts like your front ones- Thom Riddle was interested in them, but they weigh 9# for the pair.
Take off all the extras and I bet you would weigh about the same- if you have the 5 rib wings. My spare wing set- the originals- are 5 rib "clipped" wings. Probably close to Firefly wingspan. If I repair and switch out I can add extras.

do not archive
Bill Sullivan
FS/KXP
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

Possums

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

At 11:22 PM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Possums- That is a lot more FS than I have. I see wheel pants,
brakes(?), double struts- front streamlined- and a radio antenna.
Mine has single, round aluminum struts. My windshield just flexes,
no hinge. The KXP wings on mine are full length-27' plus. It's hard
to see your LG legs
Take off all the extras and I bet you would weigh about the same-
if you have the 5 rib wings. My spare wing set- the originals- are
5 rib "clipped" wings. Probably close to Firefly wingspan. If I
repair and switch out I can add extras.

Quote:
My windshield just flexes like your's, no hinges too. Brakes - yes,
double struts - (don't need them) - uless you're are going to do
loops for everybody to watch on "YouTube".

The KXP wings on mine are (not) full length-they are 27' 6" with 8 ribs.
No.... I could not weigh about the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Possums- You said you have 8 rib wings. Are you counting the ends? Travis told me not to count the ends, only the full ribs in between. Mine are 27'6", 5 ribs, 3 false ribs in between, and 1 false rib outboard of the last rib. I don't know for sure that they are from a KXP, but assume so because of the mounts being 2 1/2" shorter than a newer Firestar. The rear mount is a big, heavy lug that had to be ground to fit the u-joint. I also had to slide it in about an inch, rotate, and re-drill the hole in the inspection panel in order to get the wings straight. This allowed me to saw off about an inch of the very heavy tube on the lugs with no loss of strength.
When I first put the wings on, the tips were forward a couple of inches in a "V" shape. I could have extended the front mount- adding weight- or do what I did, cutting weight. I still have to do a CG, but with the Firestar's large gross weight of 725 I think I have a lot of lee way.
One thing I don't like that is not a problem for local flying. I need a box or step ladder to put gas in it. The tank is mounted high, and is hard to access with the wings in the flying position. The tank is still 10 gallon, and I will put a limiting tube in the filler, as suggested by someone on the list. At least until I get a 5 gallon. I don't see an easy way to change the tank. Looks like the cage was built around it- a very tight fit. Looks like more Stits work.
Re: Ceiling. I live at 60 feet MSL, and smoke, and am a former welder. I have never (other than an airliner) been above 2000', other than 1/2 hour on Mt. Washington. I guess I'll keep it slow and low- like me, now pushing 60.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KXP
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 07:21 AM 3/24/2008, william sullivan wrote:

Quote:
One thing I don't like that is not a problem for local flying. I need a
box or step ladder to put gas in it. The tank is mounted high, and is
hard to access with the wings in the flying position. The tank is still
10 gallon, and I will put a limiting tube in the filler, as suggested by
someone on the list. At least until I get a 5 gallon. I don't see an easy
way to change the tank. Looks like the cage was built around it- a very
tight fit. Looks like more Stits work.

As long as you're _absolutely_ certain that you can get the 5 gallon tank
in, you could cut the old one up to get it out...

-Dana
--
"Hiking is just walking where it's ok to pee.....
Sometimes old people hike on accident....."

Possums

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 07:21 AM 3/24/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Possums- You said you have 8 rib wings. Are you counting the ends?

Mine's all weirded out. Use to have a 5 rib Firestar, but all I got
let of it is the old nose cone, some hardware and the stick.

http://www.mindspring.com/~possums/

jb92563

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I would just install a filler "down pipe" that limits you to ~5 gals and forget about replacing the tank, if it is still in decent condition.

As long as you can not modify that fill limiter easily while fueling then it should be perfectly legal for part 103.

Since you have your weight made your in good shape.

I'm the guy with the 15 Gal fiberglass behind seat tank in my UltraStar, and will be doing likewise with a filler "down Pipe" limiter this week to comply with part 103.

Your project sounds very interesting....I'm sure the excitement level is mounting.

A good long strip with open fields all around is probably in order for your first test hops.

Especially since your not sure about the Angle of Incidence and are entering experimental territory.

I would also suggest you get another Kolber to take a good look over your aircraft in detail to make sure everything "looks right".

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
biglar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Yah, swimming does strange things to the wings...........thinks it's a
penguin, 'stead of a possum anymore. Smile
Lar. Do not Archive.

possums wrote:
Quote:

At 07:21 AM 3/24/2008, you wrote:
> Possums- You said you have 8 rib wings. Are you counting the ends?
Mine's all weirded out. Use to have a 5 rib Firestar, but all I got
let of it is the old nose cone, some hardware and the stick.

http://www.mindspring.com/~possums/

--
Larry Bourne
Santa Fe, NM
www.gogittum.com
www.gogittum.com/blog

"Vamoose"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Ray- For now, I am doing what you are- a filler down pipe. Easiest way until next fall. The Palmer, Mass. field looks the best for being local and out of the air traffic. While I need a brush-up on flying, the last air maps I read were written on parchment using berries for ink. I am a little out of date. I could bring it to a friend's farm and get some time in, but unless I get led around I have an excellent chance of becoming an aluminum bug on the windshield of a 757. I have to be patient- It's too cold at ground level, never mind up there with no wood stove. Only a few more weeks...

do not archive
Bill Sullivan
FS/KXP
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Bill,
I pulled out my old Firestar plans and took a look. It looks like you have KX wings. My plans have two wing versions, a five rib "KX only" and seven rib "KXP only".

The plans show no difference at the rear drag strut fitting between models. I'm not sure why the fitting was sticking out so far on your wing set. The plans show the center of the trailing edge end of the hole in the drag strut fitting as protruding 3/4" from the rib. This would put the end toward the leading edge at just less than an inch.

I have attached a quick (not to scale) sketch of the area to clarify the above. If you have trouble with the .pdf let me know and I can post it as a jpeg.

You are going to love your plane. Light Firestars are a delight to fly.

Drag strut attach sketch.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Drag strut attach sketch.pdf
 Filesize:  16.71 KB
 Downloaded:  547 Time(s)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

I made the fill neck limiter today. The hardware store had a long, tapered funnel for $2.49 that was the perfect length. One cut with a hacksaw, then sanded to remove plastic chips, and two minutes with a glue gun converted the ten gallon tank to five gallon.
I looked at the vacuum fuel pump bracket on the 447- the aileron horn came awful close when folded. Turns out the bolt holding the bracket was only finger tight! No lockwasher or locknut! Fixed that, but if I had the previous owner's luck I'd buy lottery tickets.
I started making a tow dolly like Jack Hart did, but mine will have a handle extended parallel to the ground to clear the wings in the folded position. My wings stick out quite a bit past the tail. The wheel/lazy susan assembly is all built, and I am going to use some electrical conduit for the handle. Total cost will be about $20.
John H.- I think I have better weather. In the forties and sunny, little wind. Keep reporting, and thanks.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KX
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

GeoR38

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/23/2008 11:25:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, williamtsullivan(at)att.net writes:
Quote:
Possums- That is a lot more FS than I have. Better paint, too. I see wheel pants, brakes(?), double struts- front streamlined- and a radio antenna. Mine has single, round aluminum struts. My windshield just flexes, no hinge. The KXP wings on mine are full length-27' plus. It's hard to see your LG legs, but mine are the long skinny ones with a long taper. I also have a variety of other bent ones, including some short ones with a long taper. I have some spare struts like your front ones- Thom Riddle was interested in them, but they weigh 9# for the pair.
Take off all the extras and I bet you would weigh about the same- if you have the 5 rib wings. My spare wing set- the originals- are 5 rib "clipped" wings. Probably close to Firefly wingspan. If I repair and switch out I can add extras.

do not archive
        Bill Sullivan
        FS/KXP
        Windsor Locks, Ct.
Quote:

If you have 5 rib wings I believe that makes it a KX not a KXP. 7 rib was used on the KXP.

George Randolph
Firestar KX driver in the Vllages Fla

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.
[quote][b]

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Well that reminds me of my flying days out of Westborough Mass, when it still had an airport. $10 bucks for the plane and 15 bucks total with the CFI. And I thought that was expensive around 1974. Flew a C-150 out of a grass strip there. I was perpetually broke in those right out of the army college days. Smile Long ways to building a Kolb from those days.

Ron (Txaz)
==========================
---- william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:

=============
Busy day today- decent weather, and everybody left me alone. The KXP wings are now fully mounted and aligned. The aileron control rods are cut and welded, and being painted tomorrow. I changed both landing gear legs, as they were mis-matched and both bent. Tomorrow- paint the rods, install and adjust. Tighten and maybe re-locate the fuel pump- the aileron control horn bumps or is really close when folded. Maybe fix the ASI static line, and a little glue on some loose windshield trim. Progress, anyway.
Dana etc., the Ercoupes I flew - 3 or 4 different ones- all had the bubble canopy and rudder pedals. they were fairly new (in 1968) and had only minor differences. They cost $9700 back then, new. Lessons were $20 an hour- $14 for the plane (with gas) and $6 for the instructor.

Bill Sullivan
FS l
Windsor Locks, Ct.

--
kugelair.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

I installed the prop extension. It's an IVO 2 1/2" from Lockwood, part # EAIVOEXT. The prop is a Warp Drive, and the only problem is that the bolts were about 1/2" too short. I shortened the extension to 2", and everything clears just fine.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KX/447
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: