Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balancing act for ailerons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

Mike B., Rick, Ellery, & Mike & Jaz,

Thanks a ton, guys, for your helpful tips. (But, seriously, did Jaz really help out much? Hmm?)
Thanks especially to Mike B. for the Tony Bingelis article and Mike's Bigelow's counterbalance/aileron
photos, and to Rick G. for the methodical steps involved.

I have plenty of useful information to build the counterbalances.....and will wait until the aileron
is completely finished before "locking in" the final weight position.

Muchas gracias, amigos.

Just in case no one else asks, Mike B., yes, I'd like to see that extra 6 gallon tank setup.
Maybe in the future, if the present 10 gallons (4+ hours plus reserve) I have isn't enough,
I may want to add an extra 3 hours of flying with the 6 gallon tank.

Mike Welch
MkIII

PS Has anyone ever heard of "Tar Baby?" Building my plane reminds me of Br'er Rabbit and Tar Baby.
I can't seem to touch one thing...without having to get stuck doing something else. And the young guys
are saying "what the heck is a Tar Baby"!!

Do Not Archive

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

"what the heck is a Tar Baby"!!..

Hi
here is one old guy at least who knows. But then I went to school when reading and writing where on the curiculum .`Brer Rabbit, he lay low `

Cheers

Pat

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

Your flight time numbers are WAY OFF....

4 hrs plus reserve on 10 gals ?

3 extra hrs with 6 gal ??

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" , chew'n 4 gals (plus) per hour

[quote="mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co"]Mike B., Rick, Ellery, & Mike & Jaz,

Thanks a ton, guys, for your helpful tips. (But, seriously, did Jaz really help out much? Hmm?)
Thanks especially to Mike B. for the Tony Bingelis article and Mike's Bigelow's counterbalance/aileron

I have plenty of useful information to build the counterbalances.....and will wait until the aileron

Muchas gracias, amigos.

Just in case no one else asks, Mike B., yes, I'd like to see that extra 6 gallon tank setup.
Maybe in the future, if the present 10 gallons (4+ hours plus reserve) I have isn't enough,

Mike Welch
MkIII

PS Has anyone ever heard of "Tar Baby?" Building my plane reminds me of Br'er Rabbit and Tar Baby.
I can't seem to touch one thing...without having to get stuck doing something else. And the young guys

Do Not Archive

Watch �Cause Effect,� a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.
Quote:
[b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

Mike & "Jaz",

I know, I know. I just didn't want to include the fractions.  But, for you, I will be precise.
4.5 hours, plus a gallon for reserve, on 10 gallons.

BTW, these ARE the reported burn times for my engine. GEO 1 liter, with turbo, approximately
75 HP, 107 lbft of torque, are purported to burn between 1.75 to 2.00 gallons per hour. From what
I've read and heard of those that have this engine installed and flying, these figures are reasonably close.

But, as always, since I haven't actually flown my plane yet, I don't swear these numbers to be
accurate. After I have experience, then I can speak from first-hand knowledge, but right now I am
only repeating what others have said about the GEO engine with turbo.

In an automobile, (which weighs 1800 lbs) cruising down the highway at 60 mph, GEO Metros get almost
50-55 mpg. That is slightly more than 1 gallon per hour!!  In an airplane, several things are a little different,
and evidently lead to the fuel burn increase to just over 2 gallons per hour. BUT!! By adding a turbo, where
the power is increased, the fuel burn actually GOES DOWN!!  Reported burn supposedly goes DOWN to 1.75
gph.

As always, your mileage may vary......

Best regards,

Mike Welch

> Subject: Re: Balancing act for ailerons
Quote:
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:43:51 -0700
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "planecrazzzy" <planecrazzzy(at)yahoo.com>

Your flight time numbers are WAY OFF....

4 hrs plus reserve on 10 gals ?

3 extra hrs with 6 gal ??

Gotta Fly..
Mike & "Jaz" , chew'n 4 gals (plus) per hour

[quote="mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co"]Mike B., Rick, Ellery, & Mike & Jaz,

Muchas gracias, amigos.

Mike Welch
MkIII

Do Not Archive

Watch �Cause Effect,� a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.
> [b]

--------
Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=171907#171907

======

How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here. [quote][b]

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

I had an old co-worker, soon to retire, whose favorite comment was:"I'ze goin' to de laughin' place"

Please forgive the non kolb entry.
do not archive
On 23, Mar 2008, at 7:43 AM, pj.ladd wrote:
Quote:
"what the heck is a Tar Baby"!!..
Hi
here is one old guy at least  who knows. But then I went to school when reading and writing where on the curiculum .`Brer Rabbit, he lay low   `

Cheers

Pat

Quote:
         - The Kolb-List Email Forum - class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List                 --> http://forums.matronics.com            - List Contribution Web Site -                             -Matt Dralle, List Admin. class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

apilot(at)surewest.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

Where did you get the turbo on the G10 (Fuel injected) and how much does it add in weight? My fuel burn 3.0 gl/hr at 5000 rpm with re-ground cam and windage tray. My slow cruise which is about 55 at 4000 rpm is around 2.5 gl/hr per hour. Vic in Sacramento

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

Build the plane with as little drag as you can, and dont get in a hurry and the Kolb MK III can cruise on very little power. Im betting that using cables and eliminating the aileron tube going out to the wing will help reduce your drag a lot. The efficiency of having EFI on that engine cant hurt either. Don't know if it will be 2 GPH or not, but I bet your fuel usage on a Geo engine will be much lower than the Rotax guys.

With my Rotax 912-S I plan around 4 GPH in my MK III at just under 70 MPH and 4200 RPM. My Kolb will do 80 but my fuel burn goes way up and the turbulence gets much worse Sad I wish I knew how John H. got 85 MPH cruise out of his MK III, that is really fast !!! I can do 85, but I am pushing almost to the firewall to get speed like that.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/23/2008 7:29:50 A.M. Central Standard Time, mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
In an automobile, (which weighs 1800 lbs) cruising down the highway at 60 mph, GEO Metros get almost
50-55 mpg. That is slightly more than 1 gallon per hour!! In an airplane, several things are a little different,
and evidently lead to the fuel burn increase to just over 2 gallons per hour

Mike,

I am curious where you are getting your info on the mileage figures on the Metro car as I will seriously consider trading my Toyota Yaris on one, if they get 50 mpg, as I only get 36 or 37 mph on the highway.  I flew my FireFly about 18 miles on 5 quarts of gas Saturday. ( Just keepin it Kolb related)

Ed Diebel FF 062 ( In Houston)

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.
[quote][b]

rowedenny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Balancing act for ailerons Reply with quote

I wish I knew how John H. got 85 MPH cruise out of his MK III, that is
really fast !!! I can do 85, but I am pushing almost to the firewall to get
speed like that.
Quote:

Mike

--------

Probably the VGs slowing you down. :-p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: