Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

I finally found time to start reading my EAA Sport Pilot magazine and read Rick's article. He states, "I kept remembering forced landings from my Weedhopper days and decided I just couldn't do that two-stroke thing again."

As some of you might remember, I bought a Mark II with a Rotax 503 DCSI. I'm hoping to be able to start flying it by the end of this month. Is Rick telling me that I should expect a lot of forced landings (or even one)? I know we should ALWAYS be prepared for forced landings, but I'm wondering does this really happen A LOT?

Are there any Kolbers out there with two-stroke engines with lots of hours that have NOT had to have a forced landing?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
olendorf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

I've had 3 in about 400 hours. All of them were due to electrical / ignition problems.

Yes, you should expect one each time you fly and be happy if it doesn't happen.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Y ep; 660 hrs. on a 503. Proper maint. is the key.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC
In a message dated 4/1/2008 9:21:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cristalclearwaters(at)juno.com writes:
Quote:
Are there any Kolbers out there with two-stroke engines with lots of hours that have NOT had to have a forced landing?

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.
[quote][b]

George Myers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

I have over a thousand hours in 6 different 503's 3 different 382's and 2
cayuna (Indian word for 'falls from sky') 430D's. Not a single one of them
was new when I got it and a few were vintage and I have had more than my
share of forced landings (I taught myself to fly and to work on the little
buggers). BUT not a single one of them was due to anything breaking on the
engine in flight (most were because it's very dark in my colon OR as a guy
smarter than me said, "stupid is as stupid does"). They do require a LOT
more attention from YOU both on and off the ground.
If you consider all the factors in selecting an engine .. weight, cost,
availability of parts, access to knowledge, and simplicity, there is not a
more reliable engine anywhere than the 503 or the 582.
That being said, what do you have more of.... money or time. It will take
one or the other to keep the fan blowing.
'Jus my 'pinion
George

[quote]--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

> Why would you say contaminated fuel was pilot error? What should you
have done differently?
Quote:
Thanks,
Cristal

Hi Cristal:

It is my job, as the pilot, to make sure the fuel is not contaminated by
taking a fuel sample after refueling and before each first flight of the
day.

I have a "homemade" gascolator and drain to seperate water and check for the
visual condition of the fuel by draining it into a clear container. On each
of those occasions, I did not take a fuel sample. ;-( Totally, my fault.

Laziness and getting in a rush will eventually lead to a failure and/or
problem.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Cristal , I probably don't fit into your request, I did have one forced landing but that was in my first 10 hours of flying my KXP with a 503 I was messing with the mixture on the idle circuit but I didn't leave the pattern . after that I flew it 480 hours with out a forced landing or a rebuild , I was using Pennzoil for air cooled ,oil premix.
They fly great with the engine out but I had 125 hours in gliders before I ever had an engine out . The only other forced landing was with a 912s so ,treat it right and the 503 is a dependable great engine. Chris
---

gaman(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Kolbsters,
There is a great article in the new Sport Aviation mag about risk management .There is NO reason for a 2 stroke to be less reliable than other powerplants.If you want to argue TBO you have a point .I believe most 2 stroke failures are self induced,by neglect,or ignorance of the importance of PM.Members of our club have 2 strokes with over 550 hrs on them (503) 980hrs(582) with no failures.I believe once you understand the way they work and what the gauges are telling you,you can have great confidence in their reliability.

---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

<quote>I have a "homemade" gascolator and drain to separate water and check for the
visual condition of the fuel by draining it into a clear container.</quote>

John,
I always check the fuel on the Cessna that I'm learning in, but have noticed my Mark II has no way to do that. I'll probably be looking into what it would take to add a gascolater.
My fuel filter is from the automotive store and I was told to change it often (I know there's lots of forum threads on fuel filters). I was told (by a fellow pilot who works on Rotax engines) to change my spark plugs every 25 hours, perhaps I should change the fuel filter at the same time? How often do you change your fuel filter?
Thanks,
Cristal

olendorf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

gaman(at)att.net wrote:
Kolbsters,
There is a great article in the new Sport Aviation mag about risk management .There is NO reason for a 2 stroke to be less reliable than other powerplants.If you want to argue TBO you have a point .I believe most 2 stroke failures are self induced,by neglect,or ignorance of the importance of PM.Members of our club have 2 strokes with over 550 hrs on them (503) 980hrs(582) with no failures.I believe once you understand the way they work and what the gauges are telling you,you can have great confidence in their reliability.

---

While I agree with this statement 100% I will say that my last engine out was on my brand new 447. The ignition module failed at 4 hours.

I have great confidence in my 447.

I will continue to fly over areas I can land in if my engine fails.

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

How often do you change your fuel filter?
Quote:
Thanks,
Cristal

Cristal:

I change the fuel filter, or clean it (I have that capability with the
filter I use) at 100 hours, or less depending on how it looks when I check
it at each oil change. Normally, 25 to 50 hours for oil changes.

john h

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity...do you remember how you felt when you had to make your first forced landing (especially if you weren't near any airport)? Did you get "back on the bike and ride again" immediately? I'd like to think I would (considering I'd lived through it!)
And what did your SPOUSE say? My husband has been pretty supportive of my learning to fly even though he hates heights and flying and would never go up in a small plane. But my worry is if I had a forced landing that he'd make me sell my plane! Crying or Very sad

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

<quote>I change the fuel filter, or clean it (I have that capability with the
filter I use) at 100 hours, or less depending on how it looks when I check
it at each oil change. Normally, 25 to 50 hours for oil changes.</quote>

John,
"depending on how it looks"...That's where I wish I had your eyes. I took the class and got a 100 on the test to get the LS-I rating so I can do my own inspections. And I can read the books and manuals, but having those eyes of experience sure would make me feel better.

Oil changes - that's one thing I don't have to worry about with the two-stroke. Very Happy

Thanks,
Cristal

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

> "depending on how it looks"...That's where I wish I had your eyes.

Quote:
Cristal

Cristal:

No special abilities to look at fuel in a glass or clear container to detect
water or trash, or discoloration of fuel. If suspect, dump it and get some
fresh fuel.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

gaman(at)att.net wrote:
Kolbsters,

There is NO reason for a 2 stroke to be less reliable than other powerplants.
---

You are very wrong about this. Two strokes fail MUCH more often than 4 stroke engines. There is a good reason no certified airplanes use two stroke engines, they are just not reliable enough. You can talk theory all day long, but the REALITY is that two stroke engines are much more prone to sudden failure than 4 stroke engines. Reality is always more important than theory....

For those that wonder about the theory, the two stroke engine must have a near PERFECT fuel air mixture to keep from seizing, where as the 4 stroke is much more tolerant to errors, overheating, etc. etc. Perfection is very difficult to maintain, and the first time something is not perfect in a two stroke, it will stop.

Everything is going towards the increased reliability of 4 stroke engines, boats, jet skis, dirt bikes... There is a good reason for this. I fly both a 4 stroke on my Kolb, and also a 2 stroke on anther plane, but I am smart enough to know that the 2 stroke engine is far more likely to quit than my 4 stroke. Only an idiot would dismiss the facts and try to tell others that two strokes are just as reliable as 4 strokes.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

John,
Right now I don't have any way of putting my gas in a clear or glass container to inspect it. There's no drain hole in the tank or the line. I didn't build the plane, I bought it this way. I suppose that's a feature I'll want to add.

In general I'm talking about hearing/seeing/feeling things that only comes with experience. This plane didn't come with check lists, operating manual, etc. Thanks for sharing your experiences/knowledge on this forum.

Thanks,
Cristal

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Cristal

I'm seeing some real good responses. The point I would like to make is that
it
isn't so much the 2 stroke that makes them less reliable as it is also the
engine systems that are used (ignition, fuel, exhaust, etc. and
pilot/builder). For example most four stroke aircraft fuel systems have
finger strainers in the fuel pick up in the tank, a gascolater, fuel sumping
capabilities, fuel filters and back up fuel pumps. It maybe the lack of
information but builders of 2 stroke airplanes generally don't build them as
safe.

The same mentality may be in play with the engine builders. If our engines
aren't as reliable then maybe we shouldn't bother spending extra money on
better systems.

Also a Rotax 503 in a MKII or MKIII has a hard life. My personal feeling is
that the 503 in general has a good reputation because it is usually used in
a Firestar where it doesn't have to work so hard to stay in the air.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

That makes sense Rick. Thanks!

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced
landings?
Quote:

<NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net>

Hi Rick N:

Got my mail this morning and my copy of what used to be Experimenter.

Enjoyed your article. Thought you got your point across great. I certainly
did not get the opinion you were beating up on two strokers.

Folks can pump themselves up about two strokes all they want to. The Feds
are not migrating to four strokes in rec vehicles because of reliability,
but polution and conservation of fuel.

I haven't heard anyone speak of that microscopic wall of oil that seperates
a two stroke from a piston seizure. Break the oil film for a split second
and there is a failure. This is one mode we do not have a problem with very
often in a stroke.

I have had main bearing failure in a brand new Cuyuna, less than 10 hours.
That'll lock up the crank shaft in a hurry.

Had wrist pin bearings come out of a 447 on the way home from Lakeland, but
made it all the way home.

Seized a 582 on my mkIII twice in 15 seconds. That wasn't hard to do at
all.

Enough on comparing the two. Ain't getting anywhere and I have a lot of
work to do to get out of here tomorrow to meet Brother Jim at Goose Pasture
on the Wacissa River between New Port and Perry, FL, tomorrow. Going to
camp there until Sunday or Monday, then hop on over to Lakeland with the 5th
wheel. Be staying in the UL Camping Area. Miss P'fer gets to stay home and
relax in the barn for the next two weeks.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

cristalclear13 wrote:
I finally found time to start reading my EAA Sport Pilot magazine and read Rick's article. He states, "I kept remembering forced landings from my Weedhopper days and decided I just couldn't do that two-stroke thing again."

As some of you might remember, I bought a Mark II with a Rotax 503 DCSI. I'm hoping to be able to start flying it by the end of this month. Is Rick telling me that I should expect a lot of forced landings (or even one)? I know we should ALWAYS be prepared for forced landings, but I'm wondering does this really happen A LOT?

Not this again - the 2-stroke myths that just will not die.......

First off, the archives of this and many other lists contain a lot of back and forth on the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke issue.

Second, among a bunch of other things, the experience of the Weedhopper-powered-by-who-knows-what-at-12000rpm days is NOT an applicable description of what you're in for with the proven 2-strokes made by Rotax these days. We don't even live in that world anymore 2-stroke-wise. So you need current experience with 2-strokes to really see what you're in for.

Third, my personal experience: I've flown the 503 for almost a decade with no problems at all, not so much as a hesitation. The only forced landing I've ever had was in my trike powered by a 447 (wiring problem).

That includes about 100 hours in my old FS II which I just recently sold. No problems with the 503 that was on it. One of many...

LS

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landing Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
Subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes

I haven't heard anyone speak of that microscopic wall of oil that seperates
a two stroke from a piston seizure. Break the oil film for a split second
and there is a failure. This is one mode we do not have a problem with very
often in a stroke.

Er, no, you certainly DO have the same hazard lurking in a 4-stroke. The same principle applies - a thin film of oil is used in the hone marks to prevent metal-to-metal contact in both engine types.

Overly rich running or overheating will cause the same breakdown in the 4 with similar results.

c'mon guys, ya'll can do better than this....

LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: