Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had 3 in about 400 hours. All of them were due to electrical / ignition problems.

Yes, you should expect one each time you fly and be happy if it doesn't happen.

--------
Scott Olendorf

Scott,

Would you mind elaborating why your engine quit 3 times in 400 hours of use? What do you mean
"due to electrical/ignition problems", and how was it the motor's fault? While I am NOT
very fond of 2 cycle motors, I think in most cases with engine failure it is not the engine's fault (like broken or defective parts that gives out!). Usually you can chase the problem down to something that is the pilot's fault...like faulty wiring, dirty gas, improper maintenance, etc. I think it is rare where you can put ALL of the blame on the motor, just because it is a 2 stroke (and EVERYTHING else like gas/oil, wiring, etc. was perfect)

Even when you can fault an engine for failure, you usually find things like "the bearing weren't the proper size,
the fuel ratio was wrong due to an incorrect carb setting, a wire shorted on an exhaust pipe, on and on..."

As I stated, I don't really care much for 2 strokes, but that is because of low TBO times, high fuel
consumption, and a couple of other issues related to that type of engine, not because "they just quit"
for no apparent reason.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but why should someone EXPECT an engine failure, provided it is
kept in "tip top" shape? I realize everyone should always be prepared for an engine failure, that's just good
common sense, but to think a motor is so "touchy" that I should be happy if it doesn't quit just because I went
for a flight, well, I'd change motors if that was the case.

Mike Welch

Do Not Archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

What do you mean
Quote:
"due to electrical/ignition problems", and how was it the motor's fault?
> consumption, and a couple of other issues related to that type of
engine, not because "they just quit"
for no apparent reason.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but why should someone EXPECT an
engine failure, provided it is
kept in "tip top" shape? I realize everyone should always be prepared for
an engine failure, that's just good
common sense, but to think a motor is so "touchy" that I should be happy
if it doesn't quit just because I went
for a flight, well, I'd change motors if that was the case.

Mike Welch

Mike W:

Two strokes have a much higher incidence of stoppages than four strokes.
Notice I said stoppages and not failures. Catastrophic failures occur
occasionally, but most times it is Murphy that gets ya, two and four stroke.

Yes, fly like it is going to quit any second for both type engines.

Don't think Scott blamed the failures on the "motor", but on
electrical/ignition problems.

Two strokes are much more susceptible to minor glitches than four strokes,
therefore the greater number of stoppages. They are extremely sensitive to
stopping when operating parameters are outside a very narrow band. Kept in
this band, OK. Get out, probably seize, or stop for some other reason.

I have no idea how much experience you have flying with a two stroke, but
those of us that evolved from the dark ages of the early 1980's became quite
proficient at forced landings. Made a damn good pilot out of us.

Many of us have migrated from two to four stokes engines for the reason you
stated, "touchy". Four stroke flying has made aviating much more relaxed
and comfortable.

Four strokes quit also. I have had two 912 stoppages in the last 2,600+
hours of flying with this type engine, 1994 and 1998. Both occasions
because of contaminated fuel. Both cases, pilot error, mine! Hopefully, I
have learned a bit from those experiences because I have not had a 912 quit
running in over 10 years and many, many hours.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landin Reply with quote

John,
Why would you say contaminated fuel was pilot error? What should you have done differently?
Thanks,
Cristal

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

Quote:
Laziness and getting in a rush will eventually lead to a failure and/or
problem.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

John H.,

And that is precisely my point. While I don't especially care for them, I think most 2 stroke engines are fairly reliable....as far as engines go.

My experience, although quite limited, has shown me that the PIC (pilot in command) is usually the blame, not an inherent deficiency with the 2 stroke design. I greatly agree they are tempermental, and one should takes its operation and care very seriously, but when shouldn't we, when it comes to ANY engine.

I have only experienced one engine failure. A friend and I were taking off, in his Piper Cherokee, heading to the Golden State Fly-In. He was PIC. In doing our preflight he accidently "cocked" open the fuel drain valve. At fuel throttle the engine suckks in air, instead of gas. At 200 feet AGL, engine quit. Luckily we landed on the remaining runway.
Reason for engine out, as usual, PIC.

My next experience, although I won't go into it again (I explained it last year), was crappy gas can crud being poured into the gas tank. The crud blocked the petcock. Reason for engine out, again, dopey PIC, using household
dirty gas can.

What I'm trying to get at is, we should always fly prepared for an engine out, true, but we should also take engine maintenance very seriously, okay, maybe a little more so on 2 strokes.

Mike Welch

Do not archive

olendorf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landin Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

My first 2 engine outs were due to a wire coming loose on the old style ignition coil. The wire was inside a blob of silicone so it wasn't obvious. It killed the engine twice and it was dozens of hours in between. After the second failure I found the culprit. The 3rd failure was a brand new engine and the brand new ignition box failed internally at 4 hours. Impossible to prevent that type of failure.

None of those are 2-stroke failures. All of them would have been prevented with dual ignition however.

I don't really mean to EXPECT it will break but take precautions so if it breaks you don't hurt anything. I was trying to come up with a better word than expect but it is so easy to get complacent that I wouldn't want to water it down too much. Maybe 'anticipate' would be better?

Everything can break and everyone can forget something. I'm pretty careful with my engine and fuel and a few months back I was pouring gas from my gas can into my airplane and somehow a bee was caught in the funnel's plastic screen. How the hell did that get in there? If I didn't have the screen it would be in the tank and easily block the pickup tube.

I don't have a problem with the reliability of 2 strokes. I also want longer TBO and better fuel burn. I'm looking for an HKS engine for my next plane but if the TBO and fuel burn was the same for a given horsepower I would stick with the 2 stroke.

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: EAA Sport Pilot article - two-strokes and forced landings? Reply with quote

I think for me forced landing were sort of routine back in 1980, flying a Cricket Ultralight in Sanford NH if I remember right. It was my fault of course I forgot to put oil in those two strokes, not once but a few times. I didn't know better, and no one told me that those things needed pre mix. Never thought anything of it, just got used to dropping it on the mud at the airport and then starting it up and flying again. Those Briggs and Stratton motors for at least a while run on nothing except fuel, it had two of them little things, but they got me flying for a few minutes. I don't think I ever got scared or anything like that just kinda looked at where I am going to sputter too. Thinking about it now I can't believe I did that and not really cared. Young and ignorant back then. Of course one day those two motors just wouldn't even start up, didn't know why.... Smile

Ron TxAz

===============
---- cristalclear13 <cristalclearwaters(at)juno.com> wrote:

=============

Just out of curiosity...do you remember how you felt when you had to make your first forced landing (especially if you weren't near any airport)? Did you get "back on the bike and ride again" immediately? I'd like to think I would (considering I'd lived through it!)
And what did your SPOUSE say? My husband has been pretty supportive of my learning to fly even though he hates heights and flying and would never go up in a small plane. But my worry is if I had a forced landing that he'd make me sell my plane! [Crying or Very sad]

--------
Cristal
Mark II Twinstar

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=174175#174175

--
kugelair.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: