Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non-russian radio problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgen.nielsen(at)mweb.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

Before I bought my Yak the previous owner had removed the original radio and installed a King KY97.

This worked OK with built in intercom but never as well as the original. I fly a friends original Yak and it works much better.

Then I started having intermittent problems with it – intercom not working, and sometimes failure to transmit. Also would not work when under negative g.
Pressing the intercom button would usually cause it to function again, a couple times I had to recycle power.

Then it finally stopped working almost completely. But it would always work on the ground without the engine running.

Had the wiring looked at, then succumbed and bought a new Icom A210, with the thought that the dual watch feature would be great for formo. Installed it (tray compatible, tested on ground all worked perfect. Intercom sounded better.

In a happy state pulled out the aircraft to go fly, started the engine…and…you guessed it, radio stops working with the exact same symptoms as before as with the King!

I said a few choice words! So, the fault appears to be not the radio but something, somewhere in the install.

Any ideas? I am at a loss to think what could cause it – the power seems fine (display illuminated solidly). Could a wire rubbing through to say a jack or PTT cause such a fault?

Jorgen

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
kregg(at)balancemyprop.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

Jorgen, When the radio doesn’t transmit, Do the intercom still work? Does the “xmit” indicator light on the radio come on? Therefore giving you carrier only with no voice? If so you probably have a intermittent ground in the mic circuit. If the radio doesn’t light up the “xmit” indicator on the A210 then it is most likely in the PTT switch or the connections of the back of the switch. Sometimes if you look closely at the wiring from the PTT switch down through the throttle handle and even further down where the wiring makes the bend in the area of the throttle/prop cables you may find some chafing in that area. You can spend a lot of time with this type of problem. Another way to eliminate the PTT circuit is to make a temporary ptt switch that bypasses every thing and connects to the back of the radio, go fly as see the results……

Hope this helps,

Kregg

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jorgen Nielsen
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:05 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: non-russian radio problems

Before I bought my Yak the previous owner had removed the original radio and installed a King KY97.

This worked OK with built in intercom but never as well as the original. I fly a friends original Yak and it works much better.

Then I started having intermittent problems with it – intercom not working, and sometimes failure to transmit. Also would not work when under negative g.
Pressing the intercom button would usually cause it to function again, a couple times I had to recycle power.

Then it finally stopped working almost completely. But it would always work on the ground without the engine running.

Had the wiring looked at, then succumbed and bought a new Icom A210, with the thought that the dual watch feature would be great for formo. Installed it (tray compatible, tested on ground all worked perfect. Intercom sounded better.

In a happy state pulled out the aircraft to go fly, started the engine…and…you guessed it, radio stops working with the exact same symptoms as before as with the King!

I said a few choice words! So, the fault appears to be not the radio but something, somewhere in the install.

Any ideas? I am at a loss to think what could cause it – the power seems fine (display illuminated solidly). Could a wire rubbing through to say a jack or PTT cause such a fault?

Jorgen

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian-1927(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

Quote:
I said a few choice words! So, the fault appears to be not the
radio but something, somewhere in the install.

Any ideas? I am at a loss to think what could cause it – the power
seems fine (display illuminated solidly). Could a wire rubbing
through to say a jack or PTT cause such a fault?

Yes. Isolate (insulate) the mic jack from ground and then give it its
own common return lead to the radio. Headphone jacks may be grounded
to the airframe. Make sure you have good wiring up to the intercom and
radio PTT buttons on the throttles.

FWIW, I have never found a built-in intercom that works worth a darn.
Best to get a first-class intercom and then mate that with the radio.

--
Brian Lloyd 3191 Western Drive
brian HYPHEN 1927 AT lloyd DOT com Cameron Park, CA 95682
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PGP key ID: 12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0 CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

Good points. When the radio does not transmit, the xmit indicator does come on, there is carrier but no voice.

“Blipping” the intercom PTT used to clear the condition.

There are also 3 relays in the wiring, used to connect the PTT switches to the radio. Not sure how they wired, I did not do the install.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kregg Victory
Sent: 03 April 2008 05:32 PM
Subject: RE: non-russian radio problems

Jorgen, When the radio doesn’t transmit, Do the intercom still work? Does the “xmit” indicator light on the radio come on? Therefore giving you carrier only with no voice? If so you probably have a intermittent ground in the mic circuit. If the radio doesn’t light up the “xmit” indicator on the A210 then it is most likely in the PTT switch or the connections of the back of the switch. Sometimes if you look closely at the wiring from the PTT switch down through the throttle handle and even further down where the wiring makes the bend in the area of the throttle/prop cables you may find some chafing in that area. You can spend a lot of time with this type of problem. Another way to eliminate the PTT circuit is to make a temporary ptt switch that bypasses every thing and connects to the back of the radio, go fly as see the results……

Hope this helps,

Kregg

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jorgen Nielsen

Jorgen

Quote:
[/b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Quote:
[b]
http://forums.matronics.com[/b]
Quote:
[b]http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

Will check all the wiring - noted on insulating the mic jack.

I use the Icom A200 in the L-29, with its built in intercom - so far so
good, works well using separate PTT for xmit & intercom.

--

kregg(at)balancemyprop.co

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: non-russian radio problems Reply with quote

The relays are typically used in that this configuration for the intercom/radio circuit. Providing switching for 24V to the intercom, ICS for the individual switches for the front and rear cockpits as well as the PTT switching for the front and rear as well. When I install an A210 and use the radio’s internal intercom I eliminate the relays to increase reliability and the confusion of troubleshooting down the road. I am not exactly for sure how your system is wired. Based on what I understand of your problem I would look at the mic and headphone jacks for proper connections and making sure the grounds are connected properly, especially the shields. Being as you get transmit and no voice I would start with the mic circuit or even another headset.

Kregg

Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 1:09 AM

Good points. When the radio does not transmit, the xmit indicator does come on, there is carrier but no voice.

“Blipping” the intercom PTT used to clear the condition.

There are also 3 relays in the wiring, used to connect the PTT switches to the radio. Not sure how they wired, I did not do the install.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kregg Victory
Sent: 03 April 2008 05:32 PM

Hope this helps,

Kregg

Jorgen

Quote:
[/b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
http://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: