Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings Reply with quote

Kolb people,

By any chance, is there an Xtra owner that has a drawing like the one I have attached, but for an Xtra, especially if it includes the angles like this one does.

I found this drawing on somebody's website quite awhile back, and I can't remember who's it was (maybe Jack's). But, what I really need is is one that reflects all the proper Xtra angles, not a Firefly/Firestar.

Additionally, does anyone have the 3 view drawings of an Xtra??

Thanks,
Mike Welch

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb_angles_drawing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.96 KB
 Viewed:  351 Time(s)

Kolb_angles_drawing.jpg

Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings Reply with quote

Mike as far as I know there are no plans for the MK3x. I'm trying to build mine from Pictures I've taken and an old set of plans they gave me from the previous version. I waited for six months to get a 5 page drawing on the new wings, all to late though since I already had most of it built from pictures. Now I am in the waiting process again to receive the gap seal and wing tips. I have no measurements on little things like the rudder cables and rigging, this again will be done with pictures. If you hear of anyone with a working set of MK3x plans I sure would like to know.

Rick Lewis

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings Reply with quote

Quote:
Subject: Re: Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings

Quote:
Mike as far as I know there are no plans for the MK3x. I'm trying to build mine from Pictures I've taken and an old set of plans they gave me from the previous version. I waited for six months to get a 5 page drawing on the new wings, all to late though since I already had most of it built from pictures. Now I am in the waiting process again to receive the gap seal and wing tips. I have no measurements on little things like the rudder cables and rigging, this again will be done with pictures. If you hear of anyone with a working set of MK3x plans I sure would like to know.

Rick Lewis

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply. It may be possible you misunderstood my need. I already have complete construction plans; they are the original plans that came with my Kolb MkIII, when I purchased the kit in 1998. I have built everything (wings, tailfeathers, controls, etc.) according to the OEM MkIII plans, long ago. (8 years)

The changes I've made to my MkIII (the Xtra conversion) don't have much to do with plans, per se', because
the changes are mostly in the fuselage design modifications.
To make my MkIII Classic to MkIII Xtra conversion, I had detailed drawings/photos and dimensions of
a genuine Xtra fuselage, to allow me to make most of the changes fairly easily. Basically, it was just a matter of cutting & welding, to put it in the most simplest of terms.

So, as far as building the entire plane goes, I have my original MkIII plans. What I was specifically asking for was:

1) a side profile of an Xtra that reflected ALL the angles as was shown on that drawing I attached to my first email request.

2) a three-view drawing of an Xtra. It is my understanding this is required documentation, to register as "Experimental Amateur Built". I would think ALL Xtra owners have this drawing, yes?

Even though I have the 3-view drawings of a MkIII Classic, that came with my plane, it no longer remotely resembles a Classic, anymore than a Kolbra resembles a Firefly. I mean, look at the photo. Does that look like a MkIII Classic? Not in my opinion.

These two items would be most helpful to get from someone. Back when I was growing up in the 50's and the 60's I heard that MkIII Xtra owners were the most helpful of all the Kolb pilots. I forgot which other Kolb owners were the second most helpful, but Xtra owners were the best. I'm sure this is true. (can you say "brown nosing")

BTW, I sent my steel gear legs off yesterday for heat treating to Rockwell 48. Cost was $65, plus $20 for shipping there and back. (Industrial Heat Treat, Salt Lake City, UT 801-363-7318) The COMPLETE cost for the steel gear ran me $155...total. In anyone is interested, yes, my aluminum legs are for sale.

Mike Welch

Do Not Archive

Finished_wheel_pants_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.98 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants_001.jpg

Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb MkIII Xtra drawings Reply with quote

Mike:

I will look through all the worthless sheets of paper they gave me but I don't rember seeing anything like what your needing. If you need a stack of paper saying quality control on it, and nothing else, than I've have at lease 40 pages of that.

Rick Lewis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: