Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aircraft Beacon - LED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekells(at)sympatico.ca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Beacon - LED Reply with quote

I am planning to install a LED red beacon on the tail of my RV-9A, so that I will be Night VFR legal.
The archives have nothing on this subject. Perhaps someone has related experience..

Kuntzlem Electronics sells a small LED beacon that is 1.7 inches in diameter, 3.5 inches tall and weighs 8.4 oz. It seems that it will be small enough to look decent on the skinny RV tail. They claim that it meets FAA requirements. They sell a mounting kit for the fuselage which probably could be made to work on the tailcone., with a fair amount of work to flair it nicely.

Has anybody have experience with this or a similar product.? It is described at www.kestrobes.com.

Thanks for any help.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Beacon - LED Reply with quote

Ernie & Margo wrote:
Quote:
I am planning to install a LED red beacon on the tail of my RV-9A, so
that I will be Night VFR legal.
The archives have nothing on this subject. Perhaps someone has
related experience..

Kuntzlem Electronics sells a small LED beacon that is 1.7 inches in
diameter, 3.5 inches tall and weighs 8.4 oz. It seems that it will be
small enough to look decent on the skinny RV tail. They claim that it
meets FAA requirements. They sell a mounting kit for the fuselage
which probably could be made to work on the tailcone., with a fair
amount of work to flair it nicely.

Has anybody have experience with this or a similar product.? It is
described at www.kestrobes.com <http://www.kestrobes.com>.

Thanks for any help.

Biggest downside is that it's round (draggy).

Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv9jim(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Aircraft Beacon - LED Reply with quote

Ernie,
Are you going to really fly it night time? If so, having the
beacon on the top of the tail will reflect into the canopy. Not a good
thing. If you are really going to fly night, you should go the route of
strobes and running lights on the tips of your wings and tail. That way
you should have no reflections in the office. If you are only going to
do the single light, I think in the belly would be a better place.
Either place will have blind spot. I would recommend LED type running
lights. They require very low power to operate. Just my opinion.

Jim

brian.kraut(at)engalt.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Beacon - LED Reply with quote

I am not sure about the particular one you are referring to, but keep in mind that there are different requirements for anticollision lights depending on the year the plane was built. After 1977 you need 400 effective candella and it needs to be 75 degrees vertical above and below the horizontal plane. From 71-77 it is 400 and 30 degrees and from 57-71 it was 100 candella and 30 degrees. Reference FARs 91.205, 23.1397, and 23.1401.

Don't take for granted that because it is a new light that it meets the new requirements. There are a lot of units being made that meet the older requirements, but not the newer ones because a lot of lights are getting replaced or added on older planes. I added flashing red lights on my 1950 Pacer not long ago and used ones that met the older regulations. Call the manufacturer and see if they meet current requirements and see if you meet the maximum blockage requirements (no more than .5 steradian) with just one light (likely you won't on the tailcone, but might on top of the rudder). There is an FAA bulletin on how to measure the blockage using 3 view drawings and the special graph paper in the bulletin, but I can't seem to find the number right now.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com [quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: