Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aluminum Cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arran.Addington(at)state.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Aluminum Cleaning Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am finally getting around to working on the MkIII kit that I purchased this past fall. It was bought in 1992 and partially assembled before it was put in a trailer and sat for a number of years. Jim Kmet who is on the list and lives near me in Tennessee came out and helped me verify that it was in rig, and that there were no major issues.

I am at the point where I will soon be thinking about covering the wings and tail feathers. My concern, and the question to the group is how to clean the aluminum on these parts before I cover. They don't have any real corrosion, just some light white in some parts, but mainly dust and dirt. I would really like to make sure that once I cover them, I won't have to worry about them for a long time (even though I am planning on installing inspection plates).

My thought is to use "Corrosion X" inside the big tail boom and wing spars, but I really want to know how to clean up the external surfaces for the long term without damaging them. I am interested in hearing the wisdom of the group. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sincerely,

Arran J. Addington
Transportation Planner
Office of Local Programs
Suite 600, James K. Polk Building
505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243-0341
voice: 615-253-8526
fax: 615-741-9673

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Luke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Cleaning Reply with quote

I'm a newbie/lurker here, but just be sure NOT to use Simple Green. It eats aluminum. I'm in the Army and we have had problems where guys have uses Simple Green to clean their weapons, and then have it corrode the aluminum bottom receiver. FWIW

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Cleaning Reply with quote

What should he use instead Luke....The Force ?

Sorry , couldn't help that one....

Give'm one fer me over there ! Glad to see you can get a piece of home
on the internet....

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

( ARMY - Crew Chief , Cobra AH-1G - 72/75 )

Luke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Cleaning Reply with quote

Mike: my uncle was an AH-1 pilot during that time period I believe. Not sure of his unit, but his name is Bruce Lawonn if it rings any bells.

I'll be back stateside in about 2 weeks! can't wait...

-Do not archive-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: