Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sport Pilot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helili(at)chahtatushka.ne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Only for folks that buy insurance. There are some that self insure.
John Hart
KF IV
Wilburton, OK

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Teresa Staley
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:49 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Sport Pilot

The long and short of it as far as being eligible for sport pilot is, if you are flying a plane that list gross wt above 1320 or are involved in an incident or accident, will your insurance cover you? The insurance companies do have a lot to do with the way we fly.

LeRoy

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

What I keep hearing is "ramp check" I want to hear from some pilots that have been flying for years and hear stories of "ramp check" I'm legal, although my 4 has left the strip many times over gross. I also cant fly at night vfr under sport pilot rules, But I do it and i'm sure many do... Tell me some ramp check stories why I shouldnt bend the rules to fly by my own set of rules or standards. Please leave the insurance related stories out...
Steve Bennett KF 4 classic 1200 912 speedwing Flying in North Carolina and wherever else I can. P.S. My kit averages 3.58 GPH

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

eskflyer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Steve are you legal as a private pilot or are you sport pilot rated ? if private then why worry

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

John, Sport pilot rt now. I'm 7 hrs and another test and checkride from private pilot... I'm a former ultralight pilot so my passion is sport pilot Steve Bennett (not Benesh)

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.
[quote][b]

LarryM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

" has left the strip many times over gross. I also cant fly at night vfr under sport pilot rules, But I do it and i'm sure many do... Tell me some ramp check stories why I shouldnt bend the rules to fly by my own set of rules or standards."

Steve that's call anarchy and you are dangerous! I do not want you flying in or near me and my sport. Heck, I'd hate to see you on the road - do you follow those rules or make your own?! I like driving on the left side of the road, I also don't stop at the red lights - it's stupid anyways - I've never been caught yet so why bother. I even drink when I drive - I have a nice bar in the truck. Why shouldn't I - I don't get caught. I usually don't use my lights at night either. Make it more difficult for the cops to see me. You get the point. For your sake, and that of the sport, and innocent, I hope that you can see the errors of your ways before the consequences of your action catch up.

"I'm legal..." I'd like to hear how after what you just said that followed.

larry

akflyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Steve that's call anarchy and you are dangerous! I do not want you flying in or near me and my sport. Heck, I'd hate to see you on the road - do you follow those rules or make your own?! I like driving on the left side of the road, I also don't stop at the red lights - it's stupid anyways - I've never been caught yet so why bother.

you would never make it up here as a commercial bush pilot... if it will go inside the plane these guys will try to get it off the ground.

have you ever driven you car over the speed limit? even on accident? ever done a California stop at a 4 way? Don't be to quick to judge or condemn. Just because a guy flys at night as a sport pilot does not mean he is dangerous, it simply means he is operating outside his certification. A pilot have 25,000 hrs as a heavy driver with world wide experience, yet may have lost a medical so is now flying sport pilot... does not make him a bad guy just one that is tired of stupid rules. I bet if you looked up all the rules and laws of your state you would find that you are breaking more than you are following, but they are the stupid laws that no one pays attention to, they have just been on the books for 200 years and no longer really apply.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....

Last edited by akflyer on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell me some ramp check stories why I shouldn't bend the rules to fly by my own set of rules or standards.

28 years here flying, Priv , commercial, multi , night, float IFR trained.

Comments like yours shows your lack of training and respect for others. Pilots like you are not just stupid but dangerous to others. I am sure we will read about you one day.

You are a ex-pilot or just a new LSA pilot that it flying out of your experience and/or league abusing your privilege. ??

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Michel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Quote:
Comments like yours shows your lack of training and respect for others. Pilots like
you are not just stupid but dangerous to others.

Excuse me to intervene in this thread that has nothing to do with me: The Sport Pilot license is not applicable in Norway but ...
Quote:
From your beautiful videos, Dave, I have the impression that you are also taking the Kitfox to the edge of its envelope, aren't you? I would never dare to do half of what you do.

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200
Do not archive
<pre><b><font size color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Michel, Thanks for sticking up for me. I'm not reckless nor am I stupid. It's a stuffy group when all I was trying to accomplish is to hear stories of ramp checks. It only encourages me to not interact with the postings in the future if all the "better then thou" keyboard pilots want to do is attack people. Did I mention that I also don't wear my seatbelts, Fly low over high school football games, and occasionally drop waterballoons on cars on the interstate... Geez people.
Steve Bennett 4-1200 classic speedwing 912  N109BB

[quote][b]

LarryM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Michel,

What does flying an airplane to the edge of the envelope to which it was designed have to do with blatant disregard to the laws governing the privilege to do so? I'm lost as to the point that you are making. By Steve's own admission, he knowing breaks the law to fly by the rules as he sees fit. Dave and others are flying by the laws to the maximum performance of either the airplane or the pilot, or trying to do so. I don't see how the 2 are similar or even come up in the same thread. Steve asked us to comment on his thoughts of setting his own standard of law outside of the code of federal regulations.

I would like to disagree with "Excuse me to intervene in this thread that has nothing to do with me" . As a fellow pilot and supporter of this sport, we owe it to help those who may be putting themselves, others, or the sport in jeopardy to see that.

larry

akflyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

[quote="Sbennett3(at)aol.com"]Michel, Thanks for sticking up for me. I'm not reckless nor am I stupid. It's a stuffy group when all I was trying to accomplish is to hear stories of ramp checks. It only encourages me to not interact with the postings in the future if all the "better then thou" keyboard pilots want to do is attack people. Did I mention that I also don't wear my seatbelts, Fly low over high school football games, and occasionally drop waterballoons on cars on the interstate... Geez people.
Steve Bennett 4-1200 classic speedwing 912? N109BB

Quote:
[b]

Steve,
I am thinking that you went on a fising trip and figured out what kind of bait they were bitting on today..

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Anarchy, although accurate, is a bit strong isn't it??? Disregard may be
closer.

How many of us have ridden/ driven with four in the cab? How many of us
took payment for a job and didn't report it in our income tax? How many of
us parked in a handicap zone? Ever fracture a speed limit or pass on the
right? Thousands get caught DWI every year how many get away? On a Friday
or Saturday night you should weigh the possibilities of meeting a drunk
whether you have been drinking or not.

Taking off slightly overweight not a biggie. Flying after official darkness
when licensed for day VFR in your country, where there is so much traffic,
may be asking for it. Especially as the plane can be identified at a
considerable distance and a simple flub on the radio could bring attention
to you. Ramp checks are only one tool inspectors use.

I have heard there are several hundred planes, some as large as twin otters,
flying in this country, with no insurance and no licenses. If one goes down
the pilot expects to be handed his ba**s on a platter (assuming he
survives). The chances he will hurt anyone but himself are slim. Are they
doing right??? No. Are they hurting anyone? Probably not. Could they hurt
someone by accident? Definitely!

Fly Safe and don't cut corners.

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

In Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada it is illegal to smoke a cigar in an
outhouse. Cigarettes and pipes are OK but no cigars. Now, if you are ever
in Paradise all you have to do is find an outhouse and a cop to charge you.
Good luck!

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Don't let that bother you Michel. Sport pilot isn't applicable here either.
U.S. sport pilot licensed pilots are allowed to fly in Canada if they have
an aviation medical. Most of the U.S. sport pilots are trying to avoid
medicals sooooo they will probably not fly here in the near future.

I think there is some movement to get Canadian authorities to recognize the
U.S. "Drivers license medical" if the U.S. authorities recognize the
Canadian declaration medical. Personally I'd like to be able to fly into
the states so it think they should lock representatives of both countries
into a room and no one gets in or out until an agreement is made.

As for pushing the edge of the envelope there is only so much you can do
when you are pushing a barn door broadside into the wind. I don't think
Dave pushes the plane close to the envelope. It may look that way because
he is close to the camera.

I'd fly with him (with good gas Smile)... I'll bet he has a few tricks to
teach even the birds.

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Lol. I'm thinking he had a good haul today! Summer must be coming!

Noel

Steve,
I am thinking that you went on a fising trip and figured out what kind of
bait they were bitting on today..

--------
DO NOT ARCHIVE
Leonard Perry
Soldotna AK
Avid &quot;C&quot; / Mk IV
582 IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1260
95% complete

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=179593#179593

Michel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to disagree with "Excuse me to intervene in this thread that has
nothing to do with me".

What I meant to say by that, Larry, is that I don't know anything about the American Sport Pilot license and therefore I can't comment it. Does it make sense to you?
As for my duty, as a pilot, to prevent another pilot to do something stupid, I agree with you. But if I have to give an advice, it must be from my own experience, right?
And my own experience is this: The pilot who built my Kitfox killed himself in another Kitfox only a few weeks after mine did its first trials.
He did a very sharp manoeuvre very low at the end of the runway and killed himself and his passenger in front of many people. Yet he is remembered as a 'good pilot.' I bought my Kitfox several years later from its third owner and it is only recently that I learnt about the history of my plane.
Anyway, I don't know what is more dangerous: sharp manoeuvres at low altitude or fly at night without the proper license. What do you think, Larry?

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200
Do not archive
<pre><b><font size color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Quote:
Michel,

What does flying an airplane to the edge of the envelope to which it was designed have to do with blatant disregard to the laws governing the privilege to do so? I'm lost as to the point that you are making. By Steve's own admission, he knowing breaks the law to fly by the rules as he sees fit. Dave and others are flying by the laws to the maximum performance of either the airplane or the pilot, or trying to do so. I don't see how the 2 are similar or even come up in the same thread. Steve asked us to comment on his thoughts of setting his own standard of law outside of the code of federal regulations.

Larry , you gave a good summary.
Look at the history , same old thing landing gear getting wiped out and they buy a grove as the tube gear just no good. Taildraggers are dangerous so get a tri gear. guys flying canyons and not being able to climb out and die. Others get wind shear and crash and so on and so on. Alot of the incidents i have read on this thread were preventable. Let's get back to basics and get some training guys. If you cannot fly your plane to the edge of it's envelope then maybe you need to get some more training.

This is likely a sore subject for some but it certainly has proven to be reality.

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
LarryM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

"why I shouldnt bend the rules to fly by my own set of rules or standards."

doesn't this answer the question? "Anyway, I don't know what is more dangerous: sharp manoeuvres at low altitude or fly at night without the proper license. What do you think, Larry? "

dpremgood(at)aim.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Some one wiser than myself once told me:
'The FARs are written with the blood of dead pilots'

--

kitfoxfugit(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

"akflyer" <akflyer_2000(at)yahoo.com> said:

"you would never make it up here as a commercial bush pilot... if it will go inside the plane these guys will try to get it off the ground."

When did they start limiting the loads to the inside of the aircraft in Alaska?

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: