Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawbreaking WAS: Sport Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Lawbreaking WAS: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Hi everyone! My name is Michel and I am a lawbreaker! ... Smile

The Norwegian utralight/microlight is different but somewhat close to the US Sport Pilot license. The rule says that:

1) We must wear a helmet. I don't. I wear a so-called hard-top; a cap with a hard lining that will protect eventually my head from bumping in one of the Kitfox's cross bar if I should capsize.
2) We cannot fly more than 10 km over the sea. I do. Flying to Sweden requires crossing the Oslo fjord and following the rule means that I should first fly north before turning south. The silly thing is that Sweden doesn't have that rule nor the helmet one. Can I change my mind half way across the border then?
3) We cannot fly lower than 500 ft AGL unless we take off or land. Therefore low passes over the runway is forbidden. When we have our annual air show, our club usually fly loose formation in a low pass so that people can watch the planes. But we must first seek an authorisation one week before the event. Last summer's air show, I forgot to put myself on the list and had to stay on the ground.
But I break the law by flying low passes as part of my routine training that includes high altitude near-stall flying, stall straight and turn stalls and dead-stick landings on the marks. But I never do that with a passenger!

What I wanted to say is that rules are rules and one shall obey them. But as a pilot one has also to consider what is really dangerous and what is relic of the past; like the Norwegian helmet thing.

I don't think a pilot should be called 'stupid' because he asks questions about those rules. This being said, I would never try to fly at night because, beside being illegal here, I am not trained to do that.

There is a saying that goes about like this: "The man who builds his house on sand knowing what may happen may be wiser than the man who builds his house on rocks thinking it will last forever."

I think that when we decide to sit as the PIC in the cockpit - or in our car, for the matter - we have to act as responsible adults. But we are all different and have different experiences. As an example, when I told this Kitfox list that I never did a dead-stick landing, I was told that I must and if I am afraid, I should do it with an instructor. When asking the same question to the Jabiru list, I was told that I should never risk a dead-stick landing and that I can practice it with the engine at idle.

My point is: Guys, don't tell other pilots that they are 'stupid' simply because you don't agree with them. Thank you.

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200
<pre><b><font size color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

leach(at)infogen.net.nz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Lawbreaking WAS: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Well said Michel. I think a lot of these argumentative guys believe the
theory that says
" I can always tell a well informed man, his views are the same as mine"

Brian

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Lawbreaking WAS: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Well said, Michel. Whether an issue is black and white, as some insist, or many shades of gray, first, we should all respect each other's opinions and our collective right to resaonably disagree.

One more point: Unless you want to be made an example of, those opting for civil disobedience in response to pointless regulations should act discretely. In my experience, "the government" has little tolerance for overt non-compliance with regs, however pointless, and absolutely no sense of humor.

do not archive

Michel Verheughe <michel(at)online.no> wrote:
[quote]Hi everyone! My name is Michel and I am a lawbreaker! ... Smile

The Norwegian utralight/microlight is different but somewhat close to the US Sport Pilot license. The rule says that:

1) We must wear a helmet. I don't. I wear a so-called hard-top; a cap with a hard lining that will protect eventually my head from bumping in one of the Kitfox's cross bar if I should capsize.
2) We cannot fly more than 10 km over the sea. I do. Flying to Sweden requires crossing the Oslo fjord and following the rule means that I should first fly north before turning south. The silly thing is that Sweden doesn't have that rule nor the helmet one. Can I change my mind half way across the border then?
3) We cannot fly lower than 500 ft AGL unless we take off or land. Therefore low passes over the runway is forbidden. When we have our annual air show, our club usually fly loose formation in a low pass so that people can watch the planes. But we must first seek an authorisation one week before the event. Last summer's air show, I forgot to put myself on the list and had to stay on the ground.
But I break the law by flying low passes as part of my routine training that includes high altitude near-stall flying, stall straight and turn stalls and dead-stick landings on the marks. But I never do that with a passenger!

What I wanted to say is that rules are rules and one shall obey them. But as a pilot one has also to consider what is really dangerous and what is relic of the past; like the Norwegian helmet thing.

I don't think a pilot should be called 'stupid' because he asks questions about those rules. This being said, I would never try to fly at night because, beside being illegal here, I am not trained to do that.

There is a saying that goes about like this: "The man who builds his house on sand knowing what may happen may be wiser than the man who builds his house on rocks thinking it will last forever."

I think that when we decide to sit as the PIC in the cockpit - or in our car, for the matter - we have to act as responsible adults. But we are all different and have different experiences. As Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

kirkhull(at)kc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Lawbreaking WAS: Sport Pilot Reply with quote

Some words of wisdom

Those who rob a bank and brag about it will soon be caught.
In other words do what you feel is right just don't tell everyone else about
it as word might get around to someone you don't want it to.
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: