Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

IN CASE YOU MISSED THIS POST UNDER THE OLD TITLE
steve
In a message dated 4/30/2008 9:26:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, N27SB(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Guys, I hate to start a panic here but Pennzoil has discontinued production of this product, the only supply out there is what is in circulation. It has something to do with Shell buying the product line. Lockwood is testing several new products as a replacement. Lockwood recently bought the last 500 cases available.
No one knows about this yet so it is a good time to stock up. Lockwood seems to think that the replacement will be as good or better. Lockwood originally did the testing for Rotax and Penzoil.

Steve B
Firefly 007/Floats
Firefly 0040/ Floats 2008 SnF Grand Champion
do not archive

In a message dated 4/29/2008 8:01:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, d-m-hague(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
>Where do you all buy your Pennzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil from?

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Steve,
Do mean Pennzoil is phasing out Air-cooled Two stroke oil, or ALL two stroke oil? Could they be replacing it with their snowmobile oil? It is rated TC and TCW3. Says on their website that it is Rotax approved. There are a lot of air cooled Rotax powered snowmobiles out there. I wouldn't think they they would want to give up on the entire two stroke market, but stranger things have happened.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Roger -

Pennzoil air cooled isn't TC rated - and isn't
compatible with Pennzoil's regular 2-stroke TCW3 oil.
(According to Phil Lockwood.)

Arty
Sandy, Oregon

--- "R. Hankins" <rphanks(at)grantspass.com> wrote:

Quote:

<rphanks(at)grantspass.com>

Steve,
Do mean Pennzoil is phasing out Air-cooled Two
stroke oil, or ALL two stroke oil? Could they be
replacing it with their snowmobile oil? It is rated
TC and TCW3. Says on their website that it is Rotax
approved. There are a lot of air cooled Rotax
powered snowmobiles out there. I wouldn't think
they they would want to give up on the entire two
stroke market, but stranger things have happened.

--------
Roger in Oregon
1992 KXP 503 - N1782C

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=180630#180630

Quote:

browse
Un/Subscription,
FAQ,

Forums!

Admin.

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Arty,
Pennzoil air cooled is rated API Service TC. (You may have thought I meant NMMA TC-W vs TC-W3)

Pennzoil snowmobile is rated NMMA TC-W3 and also API Service TC. I've attached the manufacturers documentation below.

I agree with not mixing the two.

2-CycleAirCooled.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2-CycleAirCooled.pdf
 Filesize:  33.13 KB
 Downloaded:  564 Time(s)

AdvancedPerformanceSnowmobile.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AdvancedPerformanceSnowmobile.pdf
 Filesize:  30.48 KB
 Downloaded:  805 Time(s)

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Roger, I am surprised that nobody is picking up on this topic except you. PENNZOIL AIR COOLED 2 STROKE OIL IS GONE. Only existing stock at retailers is left. Lockwood Aviation bought the last 500 cases. according to the nice lady at the Lockwood booth at SnF it has to do with Shell buying the Pennzoil line. I used to buy my oil from a Pennzoil quick change oil place. He would sell it to me at cost. A few months ago he could not get it any more. He said he was told it was out of production. Lockwood Aviation confirmed this at SnF and was surprised I knew.

I was just trying to give you guys a heads up. NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS YET.

Steve

In a message dated 5/1/2008 11:45:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rphanks(at)grantspass.com writes:
Quote:
Steve,
Do mean Pennzoil is phasing out Air-cooled Two stroke oil, or ALL two stroke oil? Could they be replacing it with their snowmobile oil? It is rated TC and TCW3. Says on their website that it is Rotax approved. There are a lot of air cooled Rotax powered snowmobiles out there. I wouldn't think they they would want to give up on the entire two stroke market, but stranger things have happened.

--------
Roger in Oregon
1992 KXP 503 - N1782C

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

I emailed Pennzoil directly about this and got the following reply.

Dear Mr. Thom Riddle; Thank you for your interest in our products. The Pennzoil 2-Cycle Oil for Air Cooled Engines is still avalable in 8 ounce bottles. (Part# 4053) Please contact the distributor in your area, phone number 716-693-0150 for help in locating this product.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

The reason that the 8 oz bottles are still available at the distributor is because there is less demand for that size. The price per oz is much higher than the 16 oz. If you dig deeper I think that you will find that Pennzoil is not packing any new ones.
If you like this product I suggest that you buy whatever 16 oz stock you can find to hold you over until Lockwood has a new recommendation. Just trying to give the List a Heads Up.

Steve B
Firefly 007/Floats
Firefly 0040/ Floats 2008 SnF Grand Champion
do not archive

In a message dated 5/2/2008 9:33:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, riddletr(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

[quote][b]

djwatson(at)olg.com

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Did I mention your local Wal-Mart usually has it?

Dennis
---

rlaird

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

Well, that response doesn't really answer the question.... "still
avalable [sic]" doesn't specifically mean that they are producing the
oil, only that some 8 ounce bottles are still available.

Maybe a pointed question would be more helpful and get an answer that
would tell us if the specific air-cooled 2-stroke oil is or is
planning to be discontinued?

-- Robert

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Thom Riddle <riddletr(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Dear Mr. Thom Riddle; Thank you for your interest in our products. The Pennzoil 2-Cycle Oil for Air Cooled Engines is still avalable in 8 ounce bottles. (Part# 4053) Please contact the distributor in your area, phone number 716-693-0150 for help in locating this product.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service

--------
Thom Riddle
N221FA Allegro 2000 912UL
N197BG FS1/447
--------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
- Buddha

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=180663#180663

--
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary and those who don't.

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
Dana

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

At 08:04 AM 5/2/2008, N27SB(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
Roger, I am surprised that nobody is picking up on this topic except you. PENNZOIL AIR COOLED 2 STROKE OIL IS GONE..

The product labeled "air cooled 2 stroke" is gone, replaced by "2 cycle outdoor" which is the same thing. Whether the "outdoor" product is being discontinued I don't know, but this may be the source of the confusion.

We're a tiny market, but with the number of ATV's, dirt bikes, chainsaws, and weed whackers out there I can't seem them abandoning this segment of the market.

-Dana

--
Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than get permission. [quote][b]

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

In a message dated 5/2/2008 12:08:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time, d-m-hague(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:

The product labeled "air cooled 2 stroke" is gone, replaced by "2 cycle outdoor" which is the same thing. Whether the "outdoor" product is being discontinued I don't know, but this may be the source of the confusion.

We're a tiny market, but with the number of ATV's, dirt bikes, chainsaws, and weed whackers out there I can't seem them abandoning this segment of the market.

-Dana
  If you look on the back of both bottles you have mentioned you will find that they BOTH have the same stock # which is 4130 . The 4130 is located just above the bar code. It is the same # on the " Air Cooled 2 Stroke" AND "Multi-Purpose Outdoor". Penzoil also offers yet another multi- purpose oil but it does not have the 4130 # on it. That is the one that is available at my local Wal-Mart. I just bought a case from LEAF about a week ago and as of then they still had it.

Ed Diebel ( FF# 62)

[quote][b]

Dwight

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil OUT OF PRODUCTION Reply with quote

<The product labeled "air cooled 2 stroke" is gone, replaced by "2 cycle outdoor" which is the same thing. Whether the "outdoor" product is being discontinued I don't know, but this may be the source of the confusion.
If you look on the back of both bottles you have mentioned you will find that they BOTH have the same stock # which is 4130 . The 4130 is located just above the bar code. It is the same # on the " Air Cooled 2 Stroke" AND "Multi-Purpose Outdoor".>

There are two (or more) Pennzoil 2 stroke oils. The one that the UL community has had such good luck with is now packaged with a blue bar on the bottle. The important thing is that on the back it is rated TC.

The other 2 stroke outdoor Multipurpose oil has been labeled with a brown bar on the front and on the back it is rated TC3 or TCW or something like that. (I'm to lazy to look it up right now) Bottom line is the TC rating is the one that was tested many years ago and was praised so highly for AIR Cooled engines. TC3, TCW etc is primarily for water cooled 2 strokes, IE: Jet Skis, outboards, maybe 582s but not as good as TC rated oil for aircooled 2 strokes.
Water cooled engines do not develop the hot spots that an aircooled engine does thus they dont need as high a quality base stock to make their oil.
Apparently Penzoil figured their Multipurpose oil was good enough for weedeaters, chainsaws, etc since they say it is also for aircooled engines.
When my weedeater seizes up I say screw the lawn work and go in the air conditioning and have a beer. If my 447 seizes thats a whole different matter :^(

When the supply of the true Pennzoil Air cooled 2 stroke oil (TC) dries up, then I guess we'll have to run what ever is available, but dont be confused thinking that the brown bar label tc3 / tcw oil is the same thing or just as good. It isnt....

Dwight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: