Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

14 VDC Power Cord for Digital Video Camera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobair8(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: 14 VDC Power Cord for Digital Video Camera? Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Folks,

I have a new digital video camera (Canon FS-11) that I want to rig up in the cabin of my GlaStar for its test flight program. I intend to use a patch cord to connect my intercom with the "Mic In" function on the camera so I can dictate information to the video instead of having to write it down. I'd also like to power the camera from ship's power but Canon doesn't sell a "car cord" for this camera. The Canon tech rep says the camera is sensitive to its input voltage (8.4 VDC) from the output of the 110 VAC power converter.

I don't want the extra wires and weight of an inverter -- I'd rather make up my own power cord to plug directly from ship's power to the camera. I can put a resistor in to drop the voltage but I'm worried about spikes and their possible adverse effects on the camera. Is there a circuit that would regulate the output close to 8.4 VDC with the expected input voltages from ship's power?

(FYI, the compact power adapter is Canon P/N CA-590 and its input specs are 100 - 240 VAC at 50/60 Hz drawing 0.14 - 0.08 Amps with output at 8.4 VDC at 0.6 Amps. The tech rep wouldn't/couldn't tell me the tolerance on the input voltage to the camera.)

Should I put in a smaller capacity (1 Amp) fuse instead of the 5 Amp fuse I've got in there now?

Bob
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
zk-vii(at)rvproject.gen.n

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: 14 VDC Power Cord for Digital Video Camera? Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I've just been through this with ours, although we are a RV7A and I'm using older MV400i DV Canon tape technology. I actually made a small switched power supply board - the primary problem was finding the power cord plug, In the end I went lo-tech and used a larger battery! The battery lasts 2 hours, the tape media lasts 1.5 hours and most flight tests were less than an hour. I added a 3.5mm jack to jack which was connected to the stereo headphone lines from the Garmin 340 - although I did need to add a couple of resitors to attenuate the volume down a bit. The video recorder tended to auto-gain on the audio and struggled with over loading - but for the purposes needed it worked fine.

The footage came out ok ( see http://www.youtube.com/zkvii ) and the learning aspect of reviewing your flying was much more benefical than I had expected - things like cockpit resourcing, radio calls, checks all can be critically reviewed later.

Regards,

Carl

--
Carl Morgan - ZK-VII - RV 7A
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/
[quote] --

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: