Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accident Report Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJKTuck(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Accident Report Question Reply with quote

I read with interest the accident report for G-OHFC.

Respectfully, perhaps someone could clarify something. The report says
that the aircraft to Bodmin Airfield for the annual inspection.

Quote:
<<
and flew to Bodmin Airfield in Cornwall arriving
at 1215 hrs. It was taxied to the maintenance hangar
where the pilots met with the Popular Flying Association
(PFA, now renamed the Light Aircraft Association or
LAA) inspector and the annual inspection was carried
out. Following the inspection the pilots had lunch before
departing at 1330 hrs.
>>

So including lunch that's 1 hr 15 min from touchdown to takeoff.

How could an annual take that short a time?

How would they have taken the wings off for the inspection - unless
maybe they have some means of stabilizing the fuselage?

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ptiller(at)lolacars.com

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Accident Report Question Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing that up.

Respectfully, I was wondering about that was well.

Phil
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Carl Pattinson

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Accident Report Question Reply with quote

I believe that certain assumptions have been made here that are not necessarily true. ie: that the inspection process only took an hour and a half.

The role of the "inspector" within the PFA is to supervise the building and maintenance of their aircraft. It dosen't mean they have to do the work themselves or be present when the work is being done. In other words they are there to ensure the aircraft is built and maintained to the proper standards.

Early on in an inspector/ builder relationship the inspector generally makes an assessment as to the experience/ competence the person they are managing and this will determine how much or little supervision is needed .If a builder is fairly experienced it is likely that less supervision will be required.

It is not uncommon for an owner/ builder to do the annual inspection himself (this may take several days if done properly) and then for the inspector to make whatever checks he considers necessary to satisfy himself the inspection has been done properly. He may well focus on specific issues which are common to a particular aircraft.

The most time consuming part of this particular task for the inspector is likely to be completing the necessary paperwork and checking the logbooks are properly filled in.

So to answer your specific question, when the AAIB report says the inspection only took an hour and a half dosent mean thats how long it actually took. What they are referring to is the culmination of the inspection process.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Accident Report Question Reply with quote

Speaking as a LAA inspector I totally agree with what you say, it is always
important to consider the relationship you have with the builder/owner. In
my experience owners' are usually very good at finding and diagnosing and
fixing problems with their own aircraft.
Not withstanding that, however good the relationship is between owner and
inspector; I know that a thorough inspection is always necessary to pick up
the odd fault that may have been missed. Quite often I do not find anything
untoward but as some of my personal owners know, sometimes I find very
significant problems that cannot be ignored.
That check, if it is to be worth anything has to take awhile and in the case
of a Europa is best achieved with the a/c disassembled. Many things can be
seen with the wings off that cannot possibly be seen with them on.

Pete Jeffers
Inspector for Europa Club

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: