Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-6 water skiing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

Don't believe they are the first to try that. Think there are some Cub acts around that have done this on the show circuits in the past.
Not exactly my cup of tea, but each to his own. They maybe the first to do this in formation now.
Doc

Roger "Doc" Kemp
viperdoc(at)mindspring.com (viperdoc(at)mindspring.com)
Aint no sound like a Radial

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
ben(at)designselect.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

Maybe, but I bet they wear wet suits with hero patches.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:07 AM
To: yak-list
Subject: T-6 water skiing

Don't believe they are the first to try that. Think there are some Cub acts around that have done this on the show circuits in the past.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but each to his own. They maybe the first to do this in formation now.

Doc

Roger "Doc" Kemp

viperdoc(at)mindspring.com (viperdoc(at)mindspring.com)

Aint no sound like a Radial

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

Ben Marsh wrote:
Quote:
Maybe, but I bet they wear wet suits with hero patches.

"Skiing" on tires is not all that uncommon. Turns out that bush pilots
use that technique to shorten their landing and takeoff run. If landing
on a short sand-bar they will do the initial touch down on water. Big
tundra tires ski well. They can slow substantially before they start to
sink. You just time your touch down so that you slow to minimum skiing
speed just as you reach the sand bar.

Likewise on take off they can get to skiing speed before they get to
flying speed. They start their take-off roll on the sandbar and finish
their take-off "roll" on the water.

There is a video out about bush flying that demonstrates this technique.
I have a couple of bush-pilot friends who pointed me at the video. They
have an example from the video on-line you can preview that shows this
very technique. My first reaction when I saw the super cub on final for
the water was, "you gotta be s------g me!"

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

And big watches too!
Doc

[quote] ---

Valkyre1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

Awesome! just be aware if anyone out there is tempted to play with this that perfectly calm water, although more desirable to touch on, is considered more difficult because it can wreak havoc with depth perception.

Waves, on the other hand, can flip you or lead to an abrupt decrease in speed that is proportional to the rate of descent, height of the waves and speed you're flying at when you make contact.

I haven't tried this and don't intend to, and I'm probably not the only one out there that has a seaplane rating. Just a few thoughts for some of our more adventurous souls.

- Val

BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

Dragging the tires on water:

I have been with a nut that did it in a Cessna 180.  His words were.... "The REAL trick is to make SURE your breaks are LOCKED."

According to my buddy... it is very easy to do and not dangerous at all. 

Yeah right.     Of course.....  He very well may be right.  

I do not intend to ever put it to the test. 

mgb

[quote] --

wlannon(at)cablerocket.co

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: T-6 water skiing Reply with quote

I'm sure he is right. Have not done it myself but spoken to others who have. The brakes are mandatory and really represent the only real danger. A free turning wheel could be disastrous.
Wish I had done that, now too damned old!.

Walt
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: