Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

My wife and I went to the airport Sunday and installed new front wing adapters. The first one I made had a weak point- when you pushed the wing to the rear, the bracket bent. It seemed sturdy enough, but when 13' of leverage was applied, they bent. I made some out of 3/16" x 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" box tubing, split to make a channel, then boxed to make a square "cup" 1 1/4" outside depth. Much stronger. Wing dihedral has to be corrected, so I ordered new ends from Travis at TNK. He said to put 1 1/2 degrees dihedral on them. Ed Harvey (of this List) has instructions from a Firefly for setting the wings.
NOTE: I screwed up!!!! I installed a fuel restriction tube in the tank, to cut it down to 5 gallons. I used a hot glue gun to secure it, and the hot glue got soft and mushy from the gas fumes. I removed all of it, and will try a gas resistant RTV unless somebody has a better idea. I also have to put in a new fuel filter.
My wife- Tiny- finally agreed to sit in the plane. We had to use a box for her to climb on (SHORT PEOPLE!) and it was a stretch for her to reach the rudder pedals. She decided to try some slow taxi practice, and did exceptionally well. She drove it up and down the field for an hour, and loved it. She has always been very capable with equipment, including farm tractors, dozers, and backhoes, so there was no problem. I gave her the same caution everybody on the List advises- easy on the throttle.
We have run the engine for a total of about 3 hours at up to 3000 rpm, and no problems other than a very slight load-up after 10 minutes or so at just above idle. It takes a second or so to clear up when throttle is applied. It is very quiet at these speeds.
I will have to do a wheel alignment (method per Jack Hart) after we run it around for a while. It tracks pretty good as is.
I still have a little touch-up on the Stits here and there. I think a little Poly-tak will do it.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KX/447
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Dana

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 12:02 PM 5/13/2008, william sullivan wrote:

Quote:
NOTE: I screwed up!!!! I installed a fuel restriction tube in the tank,
to cut it down to 5 gallons. I used a hot glue gun to secure it, and the
hot glue got soft and mushy from the gas fumes. I removed all of it, and
will try a gas resistant RTV unless somebody has a better idea. I also
have to put in a new fuel filter.

Don't use RTV! No RTV will hold up long term to gasoline. The only safe
way is to heat weld something in (if the tank is clean) or a mechanical
connection like a gasketed bulkhead fitting.

I'd say epoxy, but nothing really sticks to the polyethylene that the tanks
are made of.

-Dana
--
Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV? Don't know the
answer? Hm. Successful. Isn't it?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

This is for William, Plase excuse my ignorance but why not just install a 5 gal. tank istead of risking your life on hot glue or any other remake Im sure you have spent more time and time being money trying to shrink your tank? Chris

---

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

William I have a 5 gallon tank you can have it for shipping cost it was in my old firestar with the bottom fitting it worked great but I installed a 10 Gallon tank to replace it

Ellery in Maine
do not archive

In a message dated 5/13/2008 6:50:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, capedavis(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
This is for William, Plase excuse my ignorance but why not just install a 5 gal. tank istead of risking your life on hot glue or any other remake Im sure you have spent more time and time being money trying to shrink your tank? Chris

----- Original Message ----
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:37:35 PM
Subject: Re: Firestar project

--> Kolb-List message posted by: Dana Hague <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net (d-m-hague(at)comcast.net)>

At 12:02 PM 5/13/2008, william sullivan wrote:

Quote:
NOTE: I screwed up!!!! I installed a fuel restriction tube in the tank,
to cut it down to 5 gallons. I used a hot glue gun to secure it, and the
hot glue got soft and mushy from the gas fumes. I removed all of it, and
will try a gas resistant RTV unless somebody has a better idea. I also
have to put in a new fuel filter.

Don't use RTV! No RTV will hold up long term to gasoline. The only safe
Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
lb-List"' href='mip://03255448/3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List"'>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
='mip://03255448/3D"http://forums.matronics.com"'>http://forums.matronics.com
"' href='mip://03255448/3D"http://www.matronics.com/contribution"'>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Chris Davis- I see that you have the "KXP" version. What configuration of fabric do you have? Mine is so enclosed I can't even get a hand in there. If your is more open, how bad is the cockpit draft, and how is the rearward visibility? I believe mine to be the original FS with KX wings that are being fitted. Mine also has the BRS below the gas tank, rigged to fire through the side fabric.

do not archive

Bill Sullivan
FS/KX/447
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Bill , I had the fabric about 3 inches from the top of the tank about shoulder height when sitting in the sling seat that came with the kit I had a full enclosure and over the tank portion was open in warm weather but in the winter I had lexan that fit in on the frame making it Totally enclosed no wind ! and still full visibility .Chris

---

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

I corrected the dihedral yesterday. I ordered 2 new ends from TNK, and had them make them 8" long, just in case. I put a level on the main frame, and corrected with a jack. Then I jacked up each wing, and used a line level on mason's twine. The twine was duct taped to the inboard bottom of the wing. When I had the correct measurement, I drilled a spotter hole for a rivet. I took the strut off, cut the excess tube end, and lubed with "Fluid Film" on all parts- including inside the tube. After drilling and riveting, all rivets and joints were sealed with silicone sealant.
The only problems I ran into was to constantly check the frame level as I jacked the wing- the weight shift would change the level. Also, gusts of wind- 15mph- would stop the work, and then I'd re-check the level.
Thanks to Ellery, Ed Harvey, and TNK for measurements and procedures. Dihedral looks good. Love my Makita drill- only went through 1 battery for 52 holes.
Next part of the project is to install the 5 gallon tank. Whoever made this thing made sure the 10 gallon tank won't fall out. I might have to cut it out. There is a "tube and plate" top clamp riveted in place; a strap; and about a 2" flange at the bottom. Access is going to be through the fabric behind the seat. I will replace all fuel line while I can.

Bill Sullivan
FS/KX/447
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

ez(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

On May 24, 2008, at 7:34 AM, william sullivan wrote:

Quote:
Next part of the project is to install the 5 gallon tank. Whoever
made this thing made sure the 10 gallon tank won't fall out. I might
have to cut it out.

What a shame.
Someday you will wish you had more fuel capacity.
You will be as "legal" with ten gallon as you will be with five anyway
with a Kolb FS/KX/447.

Running out of fuel can be ultimately more costly than anything else
you fear .

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Yea, I hate when that happens. Nearly as bad is trying to squeeze
another mile out
of a low tank to get home.
Got 8 gallons of precious fluid poured in this evening to maybe go to
the first social
event hereabouts tomorrow morning. -winds depending.
-chicken BB
do not archive

On 24, May 2008, at 11:58 AM, Eugene Zimmerman wrote:

Quote:

On May 24, 2008, at 7:34 AM, william sullivan wrote:

> Next part of the project is to install the 5 gallon tank. Whoever
> made this thing made sure the 10 gallon tank won't fall out. I
> might have to cut it out.
What a shame.
You will be as "legal" with ten gallon as you will be with five
anyway with a Kolb FS/KX/447.

Running out of fuel can be ultimately more costly than anything
else you fear .

Dana

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 11:58 AM 5/24/2008, Eugene Zimmerman wrote:

Quote:
You will be as "legal" with ten gallon as you will be with five anyway
with a Kolb FS/KX/447.

Bill's got it at or very close to 103 legal weight. And a 10 gallon tank
is a much more obvious violation than a few pounds overweight.

-Dana
--
Please let me know if you did not receive this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

We went to the airport Sunday and changed gas tanks on the plane. Access was by taking down the sling seat, and cutting out the dacron panel behind the seat. I siphoned out all the gas I could, then pulled off the line coming from the sump- it's used for a fuel gauge. The gas would not run out, and I couldn't blow through the tube. The tank had a strap, which un-buckled easily. It also had a "T" shaped clamp on top with a rivet, and I was able to twist and shear the rivet. I unhooked the upper line, and unscrewed the sucker tube. It was copper, and pure, fluffy green from corrosion. I cut a large hole in the front of the tank, and used a razor knife to slit the tank, collapsing it from the inside. There was about a pound of sand- large granules- inside! The sump fitting was corroded shut, and plugged with sand.
The new five gallon tank was a bottom feed, so I only had to trim the hole in the base plate to make it fit. New gas line and a filter were installed, with chafe guards and tie wraps. to secure.
My wife spent the day taking a few pounds (!) of birds nests from the inside of the main tube. I may be exaggerating a little, but she had a good start on a hay bale. She mostly used a good tape measure with duct tape wrapped sticky side out. I had a bad idea to run a "cleaning patch" made from a piece of carpet pulled with mason's twine, and the string broke- leaving the carpet inside. It took a while to poke it out. Next time I'll bring a compressor and send an open air line through from the front.
There is a substantial weight difference between the parts I took out and the ones I put in, so it's time for another weigh-in.
The old gas is going to be used to light charcoal- the contamination is so bad I can't even use it in the lawnmower.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS/KX/447
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

I need some ideas on a good, very simple, radio and headset combination. I would like to tuck the radio in a pocket, rather than install on the plane, and with an internal antenna. Just a simple starter set.
Also, on a 103 plane, somebody said there is no weight penalty for a strobe light. Is this true? If so, any recommended ones?

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS/KX/447
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

At 07:04 AM 6/3/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
I need some ideas on a good, very simple, radio and headset
combination. I would like to tuck the radio in a pocket, rather than
install on the plane, and with an internal antenna. Just a simple starter set.
Also, on a 103 plane, somebody said there is no weight penalty for a
strobe light. Is this true? If so, any recommended ones?

Bill, I'm using the Icom A24. It's a good radio, the only problem with it
is that you must use an external antenna if you're using a headset;
otherwise you get horrible RF feedback when you transmit. That wasn't a
big deal; I just used the original rubber duck antenna on an extension
wire. Also you won't get very good performance if the antenna is close to
your body, like if you have it in a pocket.

I made a bracket for mine, with the original belt clip holding it on. I
figure I could make a good case for it not being "installed" on the aircraft:

<http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v486/flyparafan/Kolb/?action=view&current=Dsc01382.jpg>

I use it with a Comtronics helmet that I won in a raffle.

Somebody told you wrong; strobes are not "Safety Devices Which are Intended
for Deployment in a Potentially Catastrophic Situation". I don't have one
now, but when I do I'll probably get the Kuntzleman. You'll also need a
Key West or similar voltage regulator that doesn't need a battery load.

-Dana
--
It's only premarital sex if you're going to get married.

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Bill
sounds like you will be much closer to 103 legal just getting rid of that load of sand and it really sounds like it needed a fuel tank replacement it will be interesting to see your firestar weight now
it is not mandatory to have a strobe light any more from what I gather but, I like to be as visible as I can if it weighs something it will show in your weight & balance  no freebee there.
it sounds like you might be able to install a radio in your plane I would do W&B first then look at radios and info on em

Ellery
do not archive

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
[quote][b]

George Alexander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Dana wrote:
At 07:04 AM 6/3/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:

<<<SNIP>>>
If so, any recommended ones?

<<<SNIP>>>
...I don't have one now, but when I do I'll probably get the Kuntzleman. You'll also need a Key West or similar voltage regulator that doesn't need a battery load.
-Dana

Bill et al:
If you don't have another need for 12V DC, Kuntzleman sells a strobe unit that runs directly off the lighting coil. Saves a few ounces a regulator/rectifier would cost you. ( http://www.kestrobes.com )

http://www.oh2fly.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rlaird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Bill --

As Ellery said, no freebie on the strobe. The strobe is required if
you want to fly that 30 minutes after sunset that FAR 103 allows.
There are portable strobes which meet the 3 mile requirement that you
could create a cradle for... but the cradle might weigh as much as a
permanent strobe light.

For radio, the Yaesu VXA-150, Icom IC-A14, and similar radios with a
Lightspeed QFR XC is a really good and inexpensive combination for
ULs. Again, I'd suggest a cradle* over putting it in your pocket...
only the cradle itself would count for weight... you strap in the
radio to make it more secure during flight.

-- Robert

* RAM mounts make terrific cradles for radios
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM, william sullivan
<williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:
Quote:
I need some ideas on a good, very simple, radio and headset combination. I
would like to tuck the radio in a pocket, rather than install on the plane,
and with an internal antenna. Just a simple starter set.
Also, on a 103 plane, somebody said there is no weight penalty for a
strobe light. Is this true? If so, any recommended ones?

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS/KX/447

--
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the other, er, um....

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

Quote:
it is not mandatory to have a strobe light any more from what I gather but, I like to be as visible as I can

You would have to check the regs, but I believe that a strobe is required on Part 103 If you want to fly in that Golden time after Sunset for about 30 min.

Steve
Firefly 2008 SnF Grand Champ

--

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

I will agree with that
Ellery
Do not archive

In a message dated 6/3/2008 10:28:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, n27sb(at)aol.com writes:
[quote]
Quote:
it is not mandatory to have a strobe light any more from what I gather but, I like to be as visible as I can

You would have to check the regs, but I believe that a strobe is required on Part 103 If you want to fly in that Golden time after Sunset for about 30 min.

Steve
Firefly 2008 SnF Grand Champ

--

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

As long as there is some info on radios going around.... I have an
Icom A-5, never used,
that I considered mounting on my MkIII. If you want to use aircraft
power the manual says you
HAVE to buy an intermediate device to lower the voltage. The built
in battery pack is crap.
-doesn't hold a charge for very long. Wonder why they didn't design
it for 12V ? (actually more
like 14-15V during run time)
What say you? -and y'all too Smile
BB

On 3, Jun 2008, at 9:12 AM, Robert Laird wrote:

Quote:

Bill --

As Ellery said, no freebie on the strobe. The strobe is required if
you want to fly that 30 minutes after sunset that FAR 103 allows.
There are portable strobes which meet the 3 mile requirement that you
could create a cradle for... but the cradle might weigh as much as a
permanent strobe light.

For radio, the Yaesu VXA-150, Icom IC-A14, and similar radios with a
Lightspeed QFR XC is a really good and inexpensive combination for
ULs. Again, I'd suggest a cradle* over putting it in your pocket...
only the cradle itself would count for weight... you strap in the
radio to make it more secure during flight.

-- Robert

* RAM mounts make terrific cradles for radios
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM, william sullivan
<williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:
> I need some ideas on a good, very simple, radio and headset
> combination. I
> would like to tuck the radio in a pocket, rather than install on
> the plane,
> and with an internal antenna. Just a simple starter set.
> Also, on a 103 plane, somebody said there is no weight penalty
> for a
> strobe light. Is this true? If so, any recommended ones?
>
> Bill Sullivan
> Windsor Locks, Ct.
> FS/KX/447
>

--
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the other,
er, um....

rlaird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Firestar Project Reply with quote

I have that "intermediate device" for my Icom that they sell (battery
eliminator) and have it plugged into the airplane battery, and it
works like a champ. Not sure how to answer your question except, it
is what it is... get the battery eliminator and you'll have no
worries.

-- Robert
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM, robert bean <slyck(at)frontiernet.net> wrote:
Quote:

As long as there is some info on radios going around.... I have an Icom
A-5, never used,
that I considered mounting on my MkIII. If you want to use aircraft power
the manual says you
HAVE to buy an intermediate device to lower the voltage. The built in
battery pack is crap.
-doesn't hold a charge for very long. Wonder why they didn't design it for
12V ? (actually more
like 14-15V during run time)
What say you? -and y'all too Smile
BB

On 3, Jun 2008, at 9:12 AM, Robert Laird wrote:

>
>
> Bill --
>
> As Ellery said, no freebie on the strobe. The strobe is required if
> you want to fly that 30 minutes after sunset that FAR 103 allows.
> There are portable strobes which meet the 3 mile requirement that you
> could create a cradle for... but the cradle might weigh as much as a
> permanent strobe light.
>
> For radio, the Yaesu VXA-150, Icom IC-A14, and similar radios with a
> Lightspeed QFR XC is a really good and inexpensive combination for
> ULs. Again, I'd suggest a cradle* over putting it in your pocket...
> only the cradle itself would count for weight... you strap in the
> radio to make it more secure during flight.
>
> -- Robert
>
> * RAM mounts make terrific cradles for radios
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM, william sullivan
> <williamtsullivan(at)att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I need some ideas on a good, very simple, radio and headset combination.
>> I
>> would like to tuck the radio in a pocket, rather than install on the
>> plane,
>> and with an internal antenna. Just a simple starter set.
>> Also, on a 103 plane, somebody said there is no weight penalty for a
>> strobe light. Is this true? If so, any recommended ones?
>>
>> Bill Sullivan
>> Windsor Locks, Ct.
>> FS/KX/447
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the other, er,
> um....
>

--
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the other, er, um....

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: