Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Williamson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

The news of John Williamson’s aircraft crash and death is shocking. I am sad. What a wonderful man. I am proud to have met him. My prayers are with him and his family.
Jim Swan
Firestar ll Michigan

do not archive

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

I looked thru my photos of Monument Valley from this year and sadly didn't get a close up of him. The attached is a photo of him doing what he enjoyed most. His comment after landing was I like flying so I not going to set it down before I need to. That was 5/17/08 at 10:00AM at Monument Valley.

I'm shocked. He was the best and will be deeply missed. My condolences to John's family.

Rick Neilsen

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DSCN4304.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.63 KB
 Viewed:  693 Time(s)

DSCN4304.jpg

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: John Williamson Reply with quote

Larry had a good picture of John W. at MV. I cropped the picture...it's a little small in filesize though.

John_Williamson.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.57 KB
 Viewed:  746 Time(s)

John_Williamson.jpg

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: john williamson Reply with quote

My wife and I have been in shock and disbelief all day,,, just wanted someone to say April fools or something,,,,

Just a week ago Sunday john h and john w stayed overnight here with my wife and myself. John w had wanted to see the Utah state capitol building for 4 years,, but when he had mentioned it, the building had just been closed to have earthquake dampeners installed along with a facelift and remodel. Last January it reopened, so while in town Last Monday I drove him down to see it,,,, I asked where his camera was and he told me “ no pictures,,,,, just memories.” That was his 47th capitol building out of 50.

So at least for today,,,,, no pictures,,,,, just memories

boyd young

[quote][b]

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Kolbers,

I too am saddened by the news of John Williamson's death. He was such a swell and knowledgeable guy. I had my 1st flight in a Kolb in the back of his plane at the Bowie TX fly-in several years ago when I first met him. Wow! Still can't believe it!

His Family is in our Prayers   along with John H and the other 2 guys flying with him.

He will be sorely missed!

Ed Diebel

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
[quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Gang,
I thank all of you for your kind thoughts about us survivors, but I don't want to talk about the sad parts, just about the preceeding days. Of course the weather was pretty crappy and JW and JH had to spend more days stuck in Ontario Oregon than any of us would have liked, but the weather eventually cleared enough for them to make the 100 mile flight to the Rock House. Then the fun started. The food was great and the first meal was of the Antelope that attacted John Hauck last year. He had been sleeping at the side of the runway when John touched down almost on top of him. The resultant melee probably caused both of them to be incontinent.

For our first flight we went to the Alvord and JW flew the heights of the Steen's Mtn. while the rest of us talked to the tourist at the hot springs. After we left the tourist, we all landed on the lake bed to relieve our personal tanks and take some pictures of the planes parked in front of the Mt. range. We got back to the house just before the wind came out of the west in a howling gale. Our second flight was the south end of the Owyhee Canyon to the Three forks area. JW and JH amused themselved by harrassing various Coyotes on the way. We saw many wild (feral) horses, Antelope, Eagles, and rafting tourist. The two Johns then flew the narrow canyons of the West Fork of the Owyhee for15 or 20 miles while I stayed aloft to watch for hair pin turns in the Canyons. Finally we decided that Roger and I were low enough on gas to return home. (mostly me) On the way back Roger and John W found some Bighorn Sheep in a spot that I would not have believed they existed. Again the wind came up with a vengence just after all of us tied down the planes. For our last flight we decided to go check the identy of a large white bird that they saw on the initial flight into the house. First we flew to Bogus Creek and up that drainage until the Lava Flow out of Jordan Craters. We found Coyotes, Antelope and cowboys in profusion.

I guess in summary what I would like all of you to know was that we were having a ball, doing just what all of us love to do. While the rest of us were on the ground talking to tourist or relieving ourselves JW would keep on flying even if he had to fly circles while we were fooling around. He was a remarkable man, much more to him than he would ever let on or tell you about without prying. While his passing is a shame, he died doing what he loved and squeezing every drop of fun out of life. I cannot ever remember seeing him angry, or without a smile on his face.

I am proud to have known him and to have been able to share the short time that we had.
Larry Cottrell
Firestar II 400 hours

[quote][b]

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Larry,
Thank you for your wonderful e-mail of the joyful
flying you, John W, John H and Roger Hankins did. It
was so helpful to mitigate a little of the pain of
John W's death. Like many of the others who have
posted, I've been in shock that John W. is no longer a
living part of this group. It seems absolutely
impossible that he is gone - and I send my respectful
condolences to his family and good friends. I'll
sorely miss his wisdom on the list, and his laughing
face at MV.

The attached photo was taken a few years ago at the
Alvord Desert, on one of John H and John W's flights
to visit you and Karen after the MV fly-in. I don't
know the year or the 3rd Kolb (is that you, Larry?)
but it's been my screen saver for some time.

Arty Trost
Maxair Drifter
Sandy, Oregon

--- Larry Cottrell <lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com> wrote:

Quote:
Gang,
I thank all of you for your kind thoughts about
us survivors, but I don't want to talk about the sad
parts, just about the preceeding days. Of course the
weather was pretty crappy and JW and JH had to spend
more days stuck in Ontario Oregon than any of us
would have liked, but the weather eventually cleared
enough for them to make the 100 mile flight to the
Rock House. Then the fun started. The food was great
and the first meal was of the Antelope that attacted
John Hauck last year. He had been sleeping at the
side of the runway when John touched down almost on
top of him. The resultant melee probably caused both
of them to be incontinent.

For our first flight we went to the Alvord and JW
flew the heights of the Steen's Mtn. while the rest
of us talked to the tourist at the hot springs.
After we left the tourist, we all landed on the lake
bed to relieve our personal tanks and take some
pictures of the planes parked in front of the Mt.
range. We got back to the house just before the wind
came out of the west in a howling gale. Our second
flight was the south end of the Owyhee Canyon to the
Three forks area. JW and JH amused themselved by
harrassing various Coyotes on the way. We saw many
wild (feral) horses, Antelope, Eagles, and rafting
tourist. The two Johns then flew the narrow canyons
of the West Fork of the Owyhee for15 or 20 miles
while I stayed aloft to watch for hair pin turns in
the Canyons. Finally we decided that Roger and I
were low enough on gas to return home. (mostly me)
On the way back Roger and John W found some Bighorn
Sheep in a spot that I would not have believed they
existed. Again the wind came up with a vengence just
after all of us tied down the planes. For our last
flight we decided to go check the identy of a large
white bird that they saw on the initial flight into
the house. First we flew to Bogus Creek and up that
drainage until the Lava Flow out of Jordan Craters.
We found Coyotes, Antelope and cowboys in profusion.

I guess in summary what I would like all of you
to know was that we were having a ball, doing just
what all of us love to do. While the rest of us were
on the ground talking to tourist or relieving
ourselves JW would keep on flying even if he had to
fly circles while we were fooling around. He was a
remarkable man, much more to him than he would ever
let on or tell you about without prying. While his
passing is a shame, he died doing what he loved and
squeezing every drop of fun out of life. I cannot
ever remember seeing him angry, or without a smile
on his face.

I am proud to have known him and to have been
able to share the short time that we had.
Larry Cottrell
Firestar II 400 hours

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

3_Kolbs_at_Alvord_copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.15 KB
 Viewed:  698 Time(s)

3_Kolbs_at_Alvord_copy.jpg

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Larry,
thanks for your post. It helps to put this tragic accident into perspective.

Pat
[quote][b]

mjwings(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->
Jan & I are deeply saddened with the tragic news of John’s accident.

John was an inspiration to me and to hundreds of others who share the joy of flying our home built airplanes. In a relatively short period of time, he built his Kolbra and flew it tens of thousands of miles experiencing adventures that would take most of us ten lifetimes to accumulate. He shared his many Kolb experiences on his awesome web site (Home of a Kolbra Pilot) and always took the time to encourage us to expand our flying goals and helped us solve technical problems.

We are very fortunate to have met John…he was a happy man and always passionate and enthusiastic about building airplanes and pursuit of his next flying adventure. He will be sorely missed.

Attached are some photos of John and his Kolbra at Monument Valley and his Kolbra flying over the Rio Grande when he visited us last year.

Mike & Jan Marker
Firestar II
(571 hrs, Rotax 503)

5-28-2007_Kolbra_(John_Williamson)_over_Rio_Grande_NM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.78 KB
 Viewed:  623 Time(s)

5-28-2007_Kolbra_(John_Williamson)_over_Rio_Grande_NM.jpg

17-May-2008-_John_Williamson_and_Kolbra_at_Monument_Valley.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.02 KB
 Viewed:  668 Time(s)

17-May-2008-_John_Williamson_and_Kolbra_at_Monument_Valley.jpg

18-May-2007_John_Willaimson_and_Friends_at_Monument_Valley.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.04 KB
 Viewed:  682 Time(s)

18-May-2007_John_Willaimson_and_Friends_at_Monument_Valley.jpg

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

---

jimhefner

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Williamson Reply with quote

I received the tragic news by email here in China and am in total shock and disbelief!! John was a very special man and will be sorely missed by all of us who had the opportunity to have met and know him. I'll always remember his smiling face and the many times he shared his "war stories" at MV. I know he died doing what he loved most but it doesn't make the news of his passing any easier.

My condolences to all his close friends and family. I'm blessed to have made his acquaintance on several occasions and have many fond memories that I will always remember. He was a true gentleman. This is very shocking news!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rp3420(at)freescale.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: john williamson Reply with quote

I am finally able to write about Johns passing.

When I came to work early 5:00am yesterday and noticed Kens post my heart literally sank, I could hardly breath. With dry cotton mouth I immediately called uncle Craig and relayed the news and we both sat on the phone speechless.

John is such a wonderful person and always kind to uncle Craig and myself. It pains me to think we wont have him around. I am very grateful to know him. My condolences go to his wife, family and many friends.

Tim Gherkins
Firestar II (ready to fly, but really hesitating)
do not archive

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

gittlj(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> I'm in shock, John was a great help to me when I first flew my Kolbra. We all loved his adventures and all the pictures. It's really hard to believe it's happened. My prayers go out to the family and John's many friends, Larry G
[quote][b]

airgriff(at)surferz.net

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Hi gang.                           So sorry to hear of the tragic loss of John W. I had the pleasure of meeting John at several fly-ins. What a wonderful man. My sympathy goes out to his family, friends, and fellow flying buddies, such as John H. and others. He will be missed by many. My prayers go out to all.
Bob Griffin
Berne NY
[quote][b]

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

Kolb Friends -

I am shocked, and saddened to hear the news from Ken K. John was always
willing and happy to go the extra mile to accommodate anyone who needed
his help.

I remember an occasion at Monument Valley two years ago where my
9-year-old son and I were about to go on a local flight, and wanted
someone to fly wingman with us to take pictures of us in our Mark-3. We
were working out some radio problems while everybody else had already
taken off for their morning flights, including John. By the time we
fixed our radio, folks had already returned and nobody wanted to go fly
again to accompany us. Except John. He cheerfully volunteered to go up
again to take some air-to-air pictures of us. I will cherish those
pictures forever.

Our heartfelt condolences to Mrs Williamson, the rest of John's family
and his many friends. We'll miss you, John!

Dennis Kirby

njlabhart(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

My God!! What a loss. I feel short of words, but will work on
making it through this because I want to convey my condolences
to the family and friends of John Williamson.

Having walked in those shoes recently, I understand how what a
difficult time this is and it makes me cry for the loss and the
family. I know how touching these words of condolences can
be at a time like this. John was a "Top Notch" guy. Norm and I
had the privilege to know him and fly with him for a short bit on
the way to Oshkosh 2004.

He was always compassionate, understanding and friendly when
we met at the Kolb Homecomings after my loss of Norm when
many others didn't know what to say. I loved him for that.

I would like to extend a giant HEART HUG to the family. I know these
times are tough and hugs help. I will pray for God to give you strength
to get through.

However difficult, it is a comfort to know he may be going through
heaven's gates after being blessed enough to be able to do and go
with what he loved doing.

It is also a comfort to know how many peoples lives he touched
and how many appreciated him for the high caliber person he
was through and through.

HE WILL BE SADLY, SADLY MISSED.

Love to the family.....

Dana Labhart

[quote][b]

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

It is with a heavy heart that I offer my most sincere condolences to John Williamson’s family and friends and the Kolb family. I was saddened to learn of John’s accident from Steve Boetto, and I know the sadness this brings to many. I can only image how much John will be missed by his family and the Kolb family. He was a joyful man to know. In time, may all good memories ease the sadness of his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Mary Jones, EAA Publications

[quote][b]

Trudy Morgan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: John Williamson Reply with quote

My husband and I were next door neighbors to John and his wife. He was always very friendly. When our 1 year old took a tumble on the driveway he was the first one to come over and ask if help was needed. Our last conversation was about his kids and how he taught them to ride bikes when he lived in Germany. He surely will be missed.. and our condolences go out to his family and all his flying buddies.

WillUribe(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: John Williamson Reply with quote

http://home.tx.rr.com/kolbrapilot/

20011110.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.91 KB
 Viewed:  518 Time(s)

20011110.JPG

20011209b.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.4 KB
 Viewed:  520 Time(s)

20011209b.JPG

20020116a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.64 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

20020116a.JPG

100_0827.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.09 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

100_0827.JPG

pic01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.82 KB
 Viewed:  492 Time(s)

pic01.JPG

100_0799.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.11 KB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

100_0799.JPG

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: john williamson Reply with quote

I just came across the John W post and even though I have not met the man, I was fully expecting to hook up with him and JH one of these days and do some Kolb flying with both. I guess I am as dumbfounded as anyone at what I just read.
We have lost a few already from this list, folks be careful with this sport is a tough one.

Ron (in NC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: