Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethanol?Ethanol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckp

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Ethanol?Ethanol? Reply with quote

I’ve been flying my Avid A model for about 14 years with pure gasoline. About 2 years ago 10% ethanol was mandated in Maryland, and I have had several incidents which have caused me to make off-airport landings or abort take-offs due to engine malfunction. Extensive analysis has led to the inescapable conclusion that the ethanol had dissolved some of the polyester resin of my 1990 vintage wing tank and the dissolved resin plugged up the fuel filter. Examination of the filter showed that the element was covered with a slimy goo, and I could barely blow through it. I have since scouted out distant areas which still have pure fuel, which I now buy and transport in large quantities, and have had no more trouble since! I understand that Avid and Kitfox changed their wing tank resin to epoxy or vinylester at some point (anybody know when?), and that the later manufactured tanks probably won’t have this problem.

Chuck

Flying and grinning since 1956

Checked by AVG.
5/30/2008 2:53 PM
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Ethanol?Ethanol? Reply with quote

Vinylester fillers are supposed to be “ethanol resistant” whatever that means. I’d wait to see something “ethanol proof”. In the mean time Dave, of this list, has the address for slip in tanks that will fit the wings. Those tanks are rotary moulded HDPE which is just about as close to ethanol proof as you can get. Check back through the archives or wait a few hours I’m sure Dave will post the address again for you.

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01C8C33F.ACA1F3F0[/img]

Noel Loveys
Campbellton, NL, Canada
CDN AME intern, PP-Rec
C-FINB, Kitfox III-A
582 B box, Ivo IFA, Aerocet 1100 floats
[url=noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca]noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca[/url]

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Popenoe
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 11:26 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Ethanol?Ethanol?

I’ve been flying my Avid A model for about 14 years with pure gasoline. About 2 years ago 10% ethanol was mandated in Maryland, and I have had several incidents which have caused me to make off-airport landings or abort take-offs due to engine malfunction. Extensive analysis has led to the inescapable conclusion that the ethanol had dissolved some of the polyester resin of my 1990 vintage wing tank and the dissolved resin plugged up the fuel filter. Examination of the filter showed that the element was covered with a slimy goo, and I could barely blow through it. I have since scouted out distant areas which still have pure fuel, which I now buy and transport in large quantities, and have had no more trouble since! I understand that Avid and Kitfox changed their wing tank resin to epoxy or vinylester at some point (anybody know when?), and that the later manufactured tanks probably won’t have this problem.

Chuck

Flying and grinning since 1956

Checked by AVG.
5/30/2008 2:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.29 KB
 Viewed:  3040 Time(s)

image003.jpg

temco(at)telusplanet.net

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Ethanol?Ethanol? Reply with quote

Noel

The site is http://wingtanks.com/

Ted Palamarek
Edmonton

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Noel Loveys
Sent: May 31, 2008 1:29 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Ethanol?Ethanol?

Vinylester fillers are supposed to be “ethanol resistant” whatever that means. I’d wait to see something “ethanol proof”. In the mean time Dave, of this list, has the address for slip in tanks that will fit the wings. Those tanks are rotary moulded HDPE which is just about as close to ethanol proof as you can get. Check back through the archives or wait a few hours I’m sure Dave will post the address again for you.

Noel Loveys
[quote][b]

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Ethanol?Ethanol? Reply with quote

At 12:29 PM 5/31/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Vinylester fillers are supposed to be "ethanol resistant" whatever
that means. I'd wait to see something "ethanol proof".

There are vinylesters that are "ethanol proof". They are used to make
tanks for gas stations, most of which are now fiberglass. I'm
guessing John's using such a formulation for his current crop of wing tanks.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Ethanol?Ethanol? Reply with quote

Thanks Ted

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Palamarek
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 6:07 PM

Noel

The site is http://wingtanks.com/

Ted Palamarek
Edmonton

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Noel Loveys
Sent: May 31, 2008 1:29 PM

Noel Loveys
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: