Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

My local airport- Skylark Air Park, East Windsor, Ct.- has advised me that as of Sept. 1, 2008 mogas (92 octane, no lead, no alcohol) will no longer be available due to changes in the law. All shipments were made out of Albany, N.Y., and they will no longer be stocking it up there. This will probably affect all airports in the region. Skylark told me that they will not stock any variant of mogas, as it would be the same as auto pump gas. They will still have 100LL.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
FS/KX/447
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Someone told me that British Petroleum premium gas does not have ethanol or alcohol in it. This might be total BS, as so many people like to talk schit that they know nothing about, but I figured it was worth a try.

All the pumps here in Miami are labeled 10 % ethanol, even BP, but when I tested the Premium it came up alcohol free !!! Pump a gallon or so into your car to clear out the hose of regular that may have been pumped before you, and then do a test on the premium. So far I have always been able to get good gas even though all the pumps in the county have been labeled for ethanol for months now.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Dana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

At 06:57 AM 6/15/2008, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:
Someone told me that British Petroleum premium gas does not have ethanol
or alcohol in it. This might be total BS, as so many people like to talk
schit that they know nothing about, but I figured it was worth a try...

It varies from state to state. Here in CT the ethanol is required by law.

-Dana

--
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Dana wrote:

It varies from state to state. Here in CT the ethanol is required by law.

-Dana

--
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Most people have never read the law.. I have not read it, and I am willing to bet that no one hear has read the actual wording. It surely is not simply written as " Gas will have ethanol ", there are always loopholes, exceptions etc. What I was told that the law applies to Top Tier gasolines, which are the big ones like shell, chevron, etc. This allows some ethanol free gas to be produced.

Like I say, it might be total BS, but the test for ethanol is very easy to do. Going and testing your local BP PREMIUM sure beats some of the other things I have heard here, it worked for me.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

Jetpilot
Have heard a few variations on testing procedures for ethanol. What's
your preferred method?
do not archive
On Jun 16, 2008, at 9:38 AM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:

Dana wrote:
> It varies from state to state. Here in CT the ethanol is required
> by law.
>
> -Dana
>
> --
> Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Most people have never read the law.. Including myself... What I
was told that the law applies to Top Tier gasolines, which are the
big ones like shell, chevron, etc. This allows some ethanol
free gas to be produced.

Like I say, it might be total BS, but the test for ethanol is very
easy to do. Going and testing your local BP PREMIUM sure beats
some of the other things I have heard here, it worked for me.

Mike

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast
as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=188094#188094

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/16/2008 8:41:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
Like I say, it might be total BS, but the test for ethanol is very easy to do.  Going and testing your local BP PREMIUM sure beats some of the other things I have heard here, it worked for me.

Mike
Mike,

From what I understand In Texas, where I live, There is no ethanol free gas to be had in any big cities in any grade. How ever,I am told at the flying club meetings, ethanol free can be found in any county that is 2 counties away from Houston or other major cities in Texas . They claim it reduces pollution, of which I for one am not convinced. All the pumps in my area say, may contain up to 10% ethanol. I have noticed milky crud in my Mr. filter funnel, a time or two, so it seems to help. Any one in Texas heard otherwise?

Ed Diebel

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

The test for ethanol is easy, I use an olive jar, but any kind of clear small jar will work...

Make a line that is around 10 % of the total volume or height of the jar, the level of the line is not critical, you are just putting a little water into the jar and you will need to see where the level the water was at later on.

Put water in the jar up to the level of the line you made on the jar, put the lid on and go to the gas station. Select your fuel, and pump some gas into your car first. ( This clears the other grade of gas out of the hose just in case someone ahead of you had bought a grade different from what you want to test. ). Then pump a bit of gas into your jar with water, again level does not matter, but it should be mostly gas and a little water. Put the lid on and shake the jar then let settle for about a minute. Check the level of the water, if the water is at the same level it was before you put in the gas, then the gas does not have ethonal. Smile

If the water level is lower than your line, or gone all together after mixing with the gas and shaking the jar, then it indicates that the gas has alcohol in it ( ethanol) Evil or Very Mad Alcohol mixes with water and enables the water to mix with the gas making your water level go down or disappear.

This is an easy test to do before driving two counties away to try to find ethanol free gas. If you guys find BP premium to be ethanol free in your area also let us know !

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Mike,
I use an olive jar too. But when I find gas with alcohol in it the phase separation line goes up compared to the plain water level, not down. The reason for this is that the water extracts the alcohol from the gas not the other way around as you stated. So if alcohol is present in the gasoline sample the phase separation line moves up in the jar.

See following from EAA website on the subject:

EAA's auto fuel Alcohol Test Kit allows a pilot or aircraft maintenance technician to make preventative tests on auto fuel, even before fuel is purchased for an aircraft. Simply pour water, then auto fuel, in the included test tube and shake it to mix the contents. When the mixture has settled within five to 10 minutes, a gauge on the test tube indicates whether the water level has risen. An increase in the amount of water on the gauge indicates that alcohol is present in the fuel. The gauge will also indicate the percentage of alcohol. EAA's kit is simpler than previous tests, as much less fuel is used to make a determination.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

You are correct Tom. Fortunately, I have not had any positive results for ethanol in BP premium yet, I have not bothered testing other brands since I have a constant source of good gas. Somewhere along the line I got it reversed, if there was alcohol in the fuel the level of the water would increase, not decrease.

I have never had any change in the water level at all from my line, and I measure it very accurately. In the end, if I found any evidence if mixing, or change in the water level, I would not use the gas.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Mike,
If you have a Sunoco station in your area you can see what it actually looks like in your olive jar test tube by sampling their gas. I think they have been lacing their gasoline (all grades) with ethanol for decades. It is the only one around here that I know for sure has ethanol. No problem yet to date finding other brands without it, even the 87 octane I use.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

If the water level is lower than your line, or gone all together after
mixing with the gas and shaking the jar, then it indicates that the gas has
alcohol in it ( ethanol) [Evil or Very Mad] Alcohol mixes with water
and enables the water to mix with the gas making your water level go down or
disappear.
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well now this test will work depending on the amounts of water and gas in
percents........
If you put in 50% water and 50%gas... then shake it up... the alcohol
will come out of the gas,,,, and the apparent water level will have
increased.

90% gas and 10% water will work as you have described.... provided there is
no water mixed with the gas already.
With one test showing more water and the other showing less.... there is
probably one mix somewhere in the middle percentages that would show no
change. Best make sure which side of the curve you are testing. I like
the 50 50 test.

Boyd Young
MkIII C 525+ hours and counting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: