Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankm(at)clara.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Fuel pipes Reply with quote

G-BWYD has fuel pipes which are rubber with a cotton and then a stainless braid covering. They look great, as though they would last for ever - but they don't! One of mine sprung a leak after I moved it a bit and when I removed the stainless and then the cotton braids I found that it was perished and split circumferentially in the place where it was leaking. The pipes are obviously resistant to outside abrasion, but you can't see what's happening inside and they plainly have a limited life, at least inside the engine compartment. Mine had been in place for 11 years.

What pipes do people recommend? Alloy pipes are great if installed during the build, but not so easy for a retrofit. I have Aeroquip 303 from the tank to the electric pump, but the stuff with the stainless braid from then on when the chances of outside abrasion are greater. LAS don't seem to supply the stainless braid stuff. How do people protect the Aeroquip pipe where it could suffer from outside abrasion.

Frank
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
rehn(at)rockisland.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Fuel pipes Reply with quote

Frank
Many of us are using auto grade fuel injection hose. It’s tough and heavier and designed for auto gas and deals with alcohol unlike milspec airplane hose. They are very resistant to abrasion. It’s a good practice to replace all the rubber at least every 6 years. I think Europa has even a shorter time frame.
Nice part is you can purchase it at most auto supply houses.

Jerry

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frank Mycroft
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:54 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuel pipes

G-BWYD has fuel pipes which are rubber with a cotton and then a stainless braid covering. They look great, as though they would last for ever - but they don't! One of mine sprung a leak after I moved it a bit and when I removed the stainless and then the cotton braids I found that it was perished and split circumferentially in the place where it was leaking. The pipes are obviously resistant to outside abrasion, but you can't see what's happening inside and they plainly have a limited life, at least inside the engine compartment. Mine had been in place for 11 years.

What pipes do people recommend? Alloy pipes are great if installed during the build, but not so easy for a retrofit. I have Aeroquip 303 from the tank to the electric pump, but the stuff with the stainless braid from then on when the chances of outside abrasion are greater. LAS don't seem to supply the stainless braid stuff. How do people protect the Aeroquip pipe where it could suffer from outside abrasion.

Frank
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl(at)flyers.freeserve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel pipes Reply with quote

Funny you should say that.

I have today replaced all my braided hose for the newer stuff from the factory Which dosent have the protective sheath), because my inspector pretty much said the same about the old style Europa hose as you have - ie: looks great but not fit for purpose.

Cant say I noticed anything wrong with the old stuff (5yrs old), but clearly it dosent age well.

Dont really see the need for metal braided covering if the hoses are secured properly. Even braid will wear if not secured properly.

I think its fair to say that aircraft quality hose probably wont do the job if you are usiing mogas as it appears to be more aggressive towards unsuitable hose. Probably best to use racing spec stuff as racing fuels can contain a lot of alcohol/ethanol - presumably the hose can cope with that.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

[quote] ---

rampil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pipes Reply with quote

Speaking from a wear, longevity, and solvent resistant standpoint,
Aeroquip 666 is the best choice. Teflon interior with a conductive stripe
to prevent static charge, no fixed service life, etc.

The problem is that it will not slide over Europa or Rotax slide on
fittings. The new rotax fuel hoses require new fittings on the carbs
and a new fuel pump with new fittings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: