Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geir_olav(at)c2i.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

I only have about 100 landings on my Kitfox IV (speedster), this is only on soft field (grass). I am planning a trip to a field with hard surface (asphalt) next weekend, but I am a little concerned about that, since I have never been flying a taildragger on hard surface. Can I expect a big difference in yaw control or what can I expect. There is people that says it is much more difficult, and other do not see any difference. As long it is a calm day, with not much wind it should not be a problem, or?
I am only used to a crappy airfield of about 1000ft grass, where we have big trees in one end of the runway, and I have fly in a constant bank from the north to land (due to some houses we not are allowed to fly over)

Hope somebody can tell if there is a big difference between asphalt and grass with a kitfox.

Thanks

Geir Olav
Kitfox IV speedster
Jab2200.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

I haven't found all that much difference between the two IF you're
heading straight down the runway on the pavement. Grass is more
forgiving than hard surface, of course, but I've only had one bad
landing on the hard stuff, and that was during a reported 19-35 knot,
90-degree crosswind.

By the way, during my first solo cross-country trip, while coming in
for the landing, I suddenly realized that not only was this my first
solo cross-country flight, but my first solo pavement landing....and
the wind was at 60 degrees to the runway and about 10 mph as I
recall. The wind was enough to turn the airplane around (weathercock
it) into the wind after I fueled it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a CFI, nor do I play one on the TV...: )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster
Jabiru 2200

On Jun 29, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Geir Olav Øien wrote:

Quote:
I only have about 100 landings on my Kitfox IV (speedster), this is
only on soft field (grass). I am planning a trip to a field with
hard surface (asphalt) next weekend, but I am a little concerned
about that, since I have never been flying a taildragger on hard
surface. Can I expect a big difference in yaw control or what can I
expect. There is people that says it is much more difficult, and
other do not see any difference. As long it is a calm day, with not
much wind it should not be a problem, or?

I am only used to a crappy airfield of about 1000ft grass, where we
have big trees in one end of the runway, and I have fly in a
constant bank from the north to land (due to some houses we not are
allowed to fly over)

Hope somebody can tell if there is a big difference between asphalt
and grass with a kitfox.

Thanks

Geir Olav

Kitfox IV speedster

Jab2200.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List_-
============================================================ _-
forums.matronics.com_-
============================================================ _-
contribution_-
============================================================

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gary.algate(at)sandvik.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Geir

The only difference is that you have to make sure that you line up your plane with no yaw while landing. Grass, water and ice is very forgiving and tends to make us all a bit lazy as if you land a little yawed the wheels will skid until you line up. On a tarmac runway there is no skid and if you land yawed you will get a very loud "chirp" and in worst case scenario you will overly stress your undercarriage.

Once you are running straight it's the same as grass.

Just make sure you are properly aligned with the runway and you will have no problems..

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab2200
Office Phone: +61 8 8276 7655

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.

Geir Olav Øien <geir_olav(at)c2i.net>
Sent by: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com
30/06/2008 10:59 AM
Please respond to
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com To
<kitfox-list(at)matronics.com> cc
Subject
Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass

I only have about 100 landings on my Kitfox IV (speedster), this is only on soft field (grass). I am planning a trip to a field with hard surface (asphalt) next weekend, but I am a little concerned about that, since I have never been flying a taildragger on hard surface. Can I expect a big difference in yaw control or what can I expect. There is people that says it is much more difficult, and other do not see any difference. As long it is a calm day, with not much wind it should not be a problem, or?
I am only used to a crappy airfield of about 1000ft grass, where we have big trees in one end of the runway, and I have fly in a constant bank from the north to land (due to some houses we not are allowed to fly over)

Hope somebody can tell if there is a big difference between asphalt and grass with a kitfox.

Thanks

Geir Olav
Kitfox IV speedster
Jab2200.

[b]

taildragon(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Geir,

Before attempting to land on hard surfaces, be sure to check the toe-in and camber of your landing gear. The hard surfaces are unforgiving if the toe-in and/or camber are very are far off. I don't know what landing gear you are using, original or Grove or something else, but the Grove web site will give you the idea of how to check your gear.

http://www.groveaircraft.com/accessories.html

Roger

[quote] ---

Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Geir, I learned my squirrely bird on hard surface, then transitioned to grass... Very important, check air pressure in your tires if they are the atv style tires there should only be 6 to 8 psi in the tires.  Took the squirrely rt out of my 4 when I lowered air pressure. I also suggest only 3 pointing until you get good so you wont risk side loading a tire trying to main wheel land. It's not that hard, just dance left and right on them rudder pedals when the tail gets on the ground so she wont break around backwards on you.
Steve Bennett Durham NC

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

A Tail dragger is much harder on pavement then on grass. If you are even slightly yawed, which you will be, the tires will grab the pavement instantly and jerk you sideways. The grass gives a nice smooth transition for a slightly yawed condition, the pavement will not. Even when you are on the ground, if you are fast, there will be no give like the grass, it will be much easier to ground loop on pavement. Its very doable, just be ready for it, pavement is much harder in a tail dragger.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
peteohms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Then some of us have never been on grass and don't know better.

Pete

JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "JetPilot"

A Tail dragger is much harder on pavement then on grass. If you are even slightly yawed, which you will be, the tires will grab the pavement instantly and jerk you sideways. The grass gives a nice smooth transition for a slightly yawed condition, the pavement will not. Even when you are on the ground, if you are fast, there will be no give like the grass, it will be much easier to ground loop on pavement. Its very doable, just be ready for it, pavement is much harder in a tail dragger.

Mike

--------
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb [quote][b]

kitfoxpilot(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Come on guys C paved is not hard to land a tail dragger on!! I fly on both and find both just as nice.  As a matter of fact C I learned to fly the Fox from a paved runway and had no problems C and been doing it for 4 years now and no ground loops.

Ray

Date: Fri C 4 Jul 2008 15:16:44 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com

Pete

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "JetPilot"

A Tail dragger is much harder on pavement then on grass. If you are even slightly yawed C which you will be C the tires will grab the pavement instantly and jerk you sideways. The grass gives a nice smooth transition for a slightly yawed condition C the pavement will not. Even when you are on the ground C if you are fast C there will be no give like the grass C it will be much easier to ground loop on pavement. Its very doable C just be ready for it C pavement is much harder in a tail dragger.

Mike

--------

Kolb
Quote:

target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

It’s a talkathon – but it’s not just talk. Check out the i’m Talkathon. [quote][b]

helili(at)chahtatushka.ne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Yep! And in the 46 years I’ve been a pilot, I’ve never had a Kitfox, J-3, BC-12D, PA 14, PA 18, C-140, C-170, C-180, C-185, or Maule M6-235, jerk me any direction on pavement, gravel, grass, mud or snow.
I’ve lost control of a couple of them back when I first started flying, and that was from mistakes I made, not the aircraft.
John Hart

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pete Christensen
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass

Pete

[quote]
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "JetPilot"

Mike

--------

Kolb
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
9[b]

Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

The deal landing on hard surface is staying on the rudders and flying it even after its planted on the ground. One wheel may come up, but just keep her pointed down the center. It truly does take some getting used to but very doable if you know your plane. SB Durham NC

n85ae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

I think this myth about taildragger's on pavement is perpetrated by
those that want to scare new pilots. I always heard taildraggers were
evil, til I learned to fly them. I keep hearing about taildraggers
being wicked on pavement and it is simply not the case either.

The ONLY problems I find with pavement is when I have the 8.50x6's
on my plane and land in gusty conditions, then there's always a bit
of a hairy moment at touchdown as it tends to weave a lot. Depends
on the wind.

Jeff

msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

It's a combination of the the wind, the field, the airplane and the pilot, Jeff. IMHO, these things are true about taildraggers: 1) Some are more difficult to control than others. A few have been truly "wicked" (e.g. ME 109), 2) They do require more attention on take-off and landing than "nose pushers," 3) Complacent or poorly trained pilots can and do get burned by this characteristic, 4) Grass is more forgiving than pavement.

But you're right that none of this is cause to be scared of taildraggers, rather, only to be respectful of the airplane's characteristics and the pilot's limitations in light of the existing conditions.

Marco Menezes N99KX
Model 2 582-90 C-Box

--- On Sat, 7/5/08, n85ae <n85ae(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]From: n85ae <n85ae(at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass
Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 11:33 AM

[quote]--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "n85ae" <n85ae(at)yahoo.com> I think this myth about taildragger's on pavement is perpetrated by those that want to scare new pilots. I always heard taildraggers were evil, til I learned to fly them. I keep hearing about taildraggers being wicked on pavement and it is simply not the case either. The ONLY problems I find with pavement is when I have the 8.50x6's on my plane and land in gusty conditions, then there's always a bit of a hairy moment at touchdown as it tends to weave a lot. Depends on the wind. Jeff Read this topic online here: http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=191316#191316 [quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

None of the tail dragger stuff is a Myth, some tail draggers are harder than others, but they all exhibit the same tendency to swap ends on the ground. Its a matter of physics, is most of the weight is behind the main gear, it will want to swap ends. There is a very good reason they started putting nosewheels on airplanes. There is also a very good reason that the vast majority of training airplanes sold over the past 40 years have been nosewheel planes.

To tell guys that taildraggers don't have any of these bad qualities is just a disservice to them. If you are in doubt, just go look up the ground loop statistics for tail dragger airplanes, it happens to many good pilots. I land on pavement in a taildragger, and it does not scare me, but I know darn well it is not the same as grass, and that I had better be more careful than when I am on grass. We should not try to impress new pilots with our superman abilities, we need to give them good advice and warnings on what might present a difficult situation to them.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/5/2008 9:08:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
To tell guys that taildraggers don't have any of these bad qualities is just a disservice to them.

Mike, VERY well said... They are a lot of fun though.  To be able to master something that others sometimes find difficult make us a "notch" above... Smile Most of us here have flown tricycle and its now easy... I love my twitchy taildragger... SB Durham NC.

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Tail dragger's are tough. But I have to say the worse part of the dragger is the vis. over the right side while taxi. This is a Bxxxx, and sure you can swerve left to right, but when you are on a skinny taxi way, that's not doable at all. Must be why I chose to do an RV7A. I want to see on the ground. Wouldn't give up the Fox for anything else though. Guess I'll be keeping my little sweetheart. But when it comes to getting somewhere fast, that RV's going to be sweet.

Getting to the subject. I find the grass easier to land on, to a point. The point being that sure you don't get the grabby landings like the asphalt but those bumps, oh Cxxx, they can sure knock you around, I find I need to dance on the rudder pedals more landing on the sod with bumps than I ever need to on the asphalt. I mix my landings up about 50/50. So far this year I've done about 2000 landings on the sod, likewise on the asphalt. Both are nonevents for me. Even on landings of gust to 20 variable. That's 2000 landings no mistake. I love t&g's. That's where the fun of flying is. I generally put 6000 landings on my tires, so I put a set on each year. I find the worse situation is brand new tires, Oh man! talk about grabby tires, you better be on the rudder for those. I find that doing wheel landings on the Sod will cure those babies the best. Get some of that dirt in the rubber.

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Let's see if I got this right. 2000 landings on sod, and the same number on
asphalt. That sounds like over 20 landings per day each and every day. I
don't think I ever made more than five or six landings in a day and those
days were during the annual Idaho back country gig. I always liked to think
that about one landing per hour of flight time was about right. Guess to
each his own.

do not archive

Lowell
---

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Yup,
I fly every day. Last year I had 420 flights. Many times I just stay in the pattern, I can do a t&g every minute, sometimes less than that. I'll run over to the international (class c airspace) which is my favorite hang out and do most of my work. It's amazing how the controllers get when I call for inbound. AFter all they get some good counts for me, so they accommodate me as much as they can. Most the time I'm over there when the traffic is high, usually an airplane every 4 miles stacked up, I'll be running in between the traffic, very fun. I know the controllers over there very well and am told that I'm the only one they will let fly the way I do, very short , close and inside. The reason is, they can trust me to hold the line right to the fars.

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Yeah, that's roughly the same number I came up with, Lowell...sounds
like another candidate for "I never leave the pattern"... : )
Took me a year and a half to get my 1000th landing, 'cause I like to
fly once I'm up there....like you said, Lowell...to each his own, I
guess.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster
Jabiru 2200
do not archive

On Jul 6, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Lowell Fitt wrote:

[quote]
<lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net>

Let's see if I got this right. 2000 landings on sod, and the same
number on asphalt. That sounds like over 20 landings per day each
and every day. I don't think I ever made more than five or six
landings in a day and those days were during the annual Idaho back
country gig. I always liked to think that about one landing per
hour of flight time was about right. Guess to each his own.

do not archive

Lowell
---

Sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Last weekend I had 3 take offs and 3 landings. It only took 8.5 hours on my first flight. Then 3 take offs and 3 landings in 7 hours on the way home. I went to see mom and pop at Venice Fla from Raliegh NC. Good trip, lots of swampy marshland in Georgia. My little plane with 2 on board and 900 hrs on my 912 never missed a lick... Oh ya, only my first take off and last landing were on turf. My home airport is turf. GPS said 666 miles there, and 673 miles home. Have a great week guys. Steve Bennett Durham NC classic 4 912

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Say what you want,
I fly away from the pattern all the time. I went to Arlington last year, the kitfox flyin, down to richland, to aurora oregon. Just to name a few. When I fly long distances I hit every runway along the way, I think it's cool to try out new patterns. When I went to arlington I went into wenatchee for breakfast then on to arlington. On the way home i went into cle elum, now that airport was like a ghost town with winds in the 30's mph. I had to dodge holes in the asphalt on role out. Don't you dare call me a pattern boy, no way. But when the weather is bad and most of you stay on the couch and watch tv, well I'm up there in the pattern, why because there is a big hole and the only open spot is right over the airport. I spend 30 minutes in pattern and do 30 touch and go's big deal, the rest of the flight I'm running through the mountain and a few trees at about 20ft off. I'm putting an RV together because I'm a working boy and can't spend a week going down to california. I only have a weekend.

since you like to make fun, here's mine. I think you boys that fly a high number of hours and low amount of landings are afraid to land. I think you pray before each landing. How's that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: