Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912S Oil and Coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadegreaves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

About ready to fire up my 912S.
Even though Rotax publishes a list of recommended oils, what are people using that are the most readily available without having to have them shipped? Looking for one of the ones on the list that can be bought at the auto parts store level (Napa, etc...)
Also, the same question goes for coolant.
Thanks!

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
kitfoxpilot(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

You can go to your local motorcycle store like Honda or yamaha and buy semi synthetic it has the require gear add to it.  Coolant get Dexcool but use the stuff you have to mix 50/50 it will be orange.

Quote:
Subject: 912S Oil and Coolant
Date: Fri C 27 Jun 2008 22:33:13 -0700
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "wadegreaves" <reinagreaves(at)comcast.net>

About ready to fire up my 912S.
Even though Rotax publishes a list of recommended oils C what are people using that are the most readily available without having to have them shipped? Looking for one of the ones on the list that can be bought at the auto parts store level (Napa C etc..)
Also C the same question goes for coolant.
Thanks!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=190204#190204

=====================

Quote:
_====================

Do more with your photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery. Get Windows Live-Free

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

I know that there will be a bunch of different replies on this. My suggestion is to "bite the bullet" and use a Rotax recommended oil. In my case I am now using the new Aeroshell Plus 4 which was designed for the Rotax 912/914 (the primary oil used at Lockwood for thier flight school)
You have too much money tied up in your engine to use a lesser than recommended oil. As they said in the Rotax school, this engine (like all others) lives on oil.
This stuff is 'sporty' in price. It cost about $68 (12 bottles) plus $14.42 for shipping (took about 5 days to get it) but to me, it is worth it. No way I will use other than Rotax oil filters either after seeing the damage other filters can possibly do to the engine (again during Rotax school)
The coolant is not so difficult as you can get Dex-cool in any auto store. It runs nice and cool in my application.

Dick Maddux
      Fox 4-1200
      Rotax 912UL
      Pensacola,Fl

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
[quote][b]

darinh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

The full synthetic Mobil 1 15W50 on the list is available at nearly any auto parts store and even Walmart. I used it in my last 912 (800+ hours and still going strong to my knowledge). It is a great lubricant especially if you are not burning 100LL...I understand the semi-synthetics remove the lead better than full synthetic oils. I am using the Evans NPG+ as recommended by Rotax in my 914. It is very spendy but it is supposedly a lifetime coolant...in any case, $34 gets you enough for an initial fill up and another fill up after a flush if you desire.

Kaysville, Utah
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

Dick Maddux wrote:

In my case I am now using the new Aeroshell Plus 4 which was designed for the Rotax 912/914 (the primary oil used at Lockwood for thier flight school)

No way I will use other than Rotax oil filters either after seeing the damage other filters can possibly do to the engine (again during Rotax school)

I use full synthetic Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil, it is more expensive than the Rotax Oil, and is on Rotax recommended list of oils. A good quality full synthetic oil is far Superior and makes the engine last longer than the semisynthetic Rotax oil. The only exception to this rule is if you use 100LL gasoline in your Rotax. The full synthetic will not hold the lead in suspension like dinosaur oil will. 100LL is not great for the 912's, you should not use it unless there is no other alternative.

After getting some good advice from another memeber here, and a lot of research on my own to confirm it, I use a Non Rotax oil filter. Using the wrong oil filter will likely damage any engine. If I put the wrong number oil filter on my Honda Civic , it will damage it, but that does not mean I can only use Honda oil filters on my Honda, it just means I better use the right number filter no matter which brand it is. The same is ture for my Rotax, I have to use the correct number and a quality oil filter, but that NOT mean that all non Rotax filters are wrong for the 912's. I dont care about price, but after research of different racing sites, and people that know oil filters, I found the Rotax oil filter is of less than average quality, there are far better oil filters that you can use on your Rotax 912. Like anything in life, if you screw it up, you can cause damage... If done correctly, you can protect your engine far better than the Rotax oil filter does. If you would like to educate yourself on oil filters, read this thread, and the links I posted in the 11th response to the post.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.phpt=20821&highlight=oil+filter+purolator

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 912S Oil and Coolant Reply with quote

I use amzoil motor cycle oil, I think it's 15/40. Dexcool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: