Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

In the spirit of not allowing this list to become a pissing contest,
I'll simply state that if I was afraid to land I'd be smart enough to
not take off in the first place. To defend my personal position of
"going places" ...that is, outside of the pattern, I fly long hours
to get to another....NEW....place to land. I fly distances because
I've run out of local grass, AND paved runways at which to land,
always seeking a new environment, a new challenge.

I wouldn't dare call you a pattern boy, or a spelling champion for
that matter...(just havin' some fun) : )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster
Jabiru 2200
do not archive

On Jul 6, 2008, at 9:24 PM, kitfoxmike wrote:

Quote:

<customtrans(at)qwest.net>

Say what you want,
I fly away from the pattern all the time. I went to Arlington last
year, the kitfox flyin, down to richland, to aurora oregon. Just
to name a few. When I fly long distances I hit every runway along
the way, I think it's cool to try out new patterns. When I went to
arlington I went into wenatchee for breakfast then on to
arlington. On the way home i went into cle elum, now that airport
was like a ghost town with winds in the 30's mph. I had to dodge
holes in the asphalt on role out. Don't you dare call me a pattern
boy, no way. But when the weather is bad and most of you stay on
the couch and watch tv, well I'm up there in the pattern, why
because there is a big hole and the only open spot is right over
the airport. I spend 30 minutes in pattern and do 30 touch and
go's big deal, the rest of the flight I'm running through the
mountain and a few trees at about 20ft off. I'm putting an RV
together because I'm a working boy and can't spend a week going
down to californ!
ia. I only have a weekend.

since you like to make fun, here's mine. I think you boys that fly
a high number of hours and low amount of landings are afraid to
land. I think you pray before each landing. How's that.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=191511#191511

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Sbennett3(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Custom trans, I dont know your name as you dont sign your posts. I never made fun, just pointed out that I travel. I'm not a high hours pilot either. I have 190 hrs on my fox. I'm glad you're enjoying yours. I'm envious about your rv build. Good luck in your future and fly like you like not how others want. Steve Bennett

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

shinco(at)bright.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

kitfoxmike wrote:
Quote:

Say what you want,
I fly away from the pattern all the time. I went to Arlington last year, the kitfox flyin, down to richland, to aurora oregon. Just to name a few. When I fly long distances I hit every runway along the way, I think it's cool to try out new patterns. When I went to arlington I went into wenatchee for breakfast then on to arlington. On the way home i went into cle elum, now that airport was like a ghost town with winds in the 30's mph. I had to dodge holes in the asphalt on role out. Don't you dare call me a pattern boy, no way. But when the weather is bad and most of you stay on the couch and watch tv, well I'm up there in the pattern, why because there is a big hole and the only open spot is right over the airport. I spend 30 minutes in pattern and do 30 touch and go's big deal, the rest of the flight I'm running through the mountain and a few trees at about 20ft off. I'm putting an RV together because I'm a working boy and can't spend a week going down to californ!
ia. I only have a weekend.

since you like to make fun, here's mine. I think you boys that fly a high number of hours and low amount of landings are afraid to land. I think you pray before each landing. How's that.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=191511#191511

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

WOW come on guys..this is going a little far???Right???we are not little

boys here..I do not think that this list is for this Kid school
stuff..We all love to fly and that is why we are here..and that is why
we like to fly our Kitfoxs..we can flyn them any way we want 2.becouse
we can,fly the way we want..NO fights here please...PLease Kiss and make
up...STEVE SHINABERY N554KF KF2 582

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

groan...

---

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

[quote="Sbennett3(at)AOL.COM"]Custom trans, I dont know your name as you dont sign your posts. I never made fun, just pointed out that I travel. I'm not a high hours pilot either. I have 190 hrs on my fox. I'm glad you're enjoying yours. I'm envious about your rv build. Good luck in your future and fly like you like not how others want. Steve Bennett

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
Quote:
[b]

sounds like I don't belong here

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

OK everybody. This thread has gotten lost so I'm killing it. Please refrain from replying further.

Thanks,

Guy Buchanan - Kitfox List Moderator
San Diego, CA
K-IV/1200 w/ 582 C-box & Warp 3 blade
100% and flying thanks mostly to Bob Ducar [quote][b]

Jeffrey Dill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Guy, I want to honor your move to kill this thread, but it is the one I read thoroughly the night before I wrecked my model 2. I thought the idea of marking the windshield with aimpoint and horizon lines was excellent, but got too short on time to do it before my flight. I am pretty surprised that I have to be the one to put it out there, but it happened. I am a 14000+ hr pilot, but I lost it. I have only 25 hrs now in a Kitfox plus 4 tailwheel endorsement in a cub. That is all my tailwheel time. Maybe I was too afraid of the groundloop boggie-man and overcontriolled, maybe not afraid enough and allowed the tail to come up. I don't know. The thing started to veer on me on asphalt, an experience I have had before and escaped from with a go-around. But this time the narrow runway ran out on me and I left the hard surface; the grass bogged down my acceleration and I didn't clear a taxi sign when I thought I had plenty of room. Have you heard of a 44709? That is next and I don't intend to do it in a Kitfox. Mine could be fixed, or totaled; the wife votes for totaled. I will be caught up in the consequences of this for some time. Wish me luck.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

I vote for fixing it !!! If you let your plane go you will always look back and regret that decision... If you rebuild it, your wife may be bent out of shape for a while, but it will pass Smile

It takes a lot of guts to admit something like this on a public list, but I am sure everyone respects you for being being honest and giving good information that can help your fellow pilots avoid the same fate. This is a very relevant and important thread. It was obviously a mistake for the moderator to want to kill this thread. This information is just to important to suppress just because of a few bad posts in the thread. To let a couple pointless posts stop pilots from getting the safety related information they need is not good moderation. I would much rather get good information, with some garbage mixed in, than see an oversensitive moderator kill threads and get no information at all.

In the end, the lesson here is very clear. Despite all the super, manly pilot talk by some, the reality is that landing on asphalt in a tailwheel airplane is much harder than landing on grass. Use caution...

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Tom Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Jeffrey,
Thanks for sharing. This is a good wake-up reminder for me. I am a low time pilot with 300 hours in a Cherokee. I have about 50 hours in my Kitfox now and was just thinking after my last flight that I am getting pretty good at landing.

I think there is some truth about worrying about the tailwheel boogy man too much too. A little mishap along with stories about how dangerous and difficult the tail wheel is...all from people who had never flown one...had me so worried that it took me six years after I finished building my Kitfox to bite the bullet, get the training and start flying it. Actually my wife pushed me to do it one day when she said "Fly it or sell it".

I still have the landing sight line on my windshield but find I am not concentrating on it so much now.

For what its worth, my opinion on tail wheel experience is its not the number hours that counts...its the number of landings that hones your skill.

I had to google the "44709" to find out what it is. I'm sure you will have no trouble with that. Good luck!

Ellensburg, WA
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

The moderator killed it, and rightly so, because it turned into a
verbal sparring match, (myself included) between a few people who
probably should have known better. Besides, I don't think any of us
"pugilists" remembered to at least add the "do not archive" when it
got beyond the intended purpose, which was to enlighten folks about
landing on a hard surface.

Sorry to hear about your rough landing, Jeff, and I hope you rebuild.
What all was damaged?....maybe there are some parts to be had here....

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster
Jabiru 2200

On Jul 18, 2008, at 12:09 AM, JetPilot wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
This was a very good thread, I cant imagine why the moderator would
want to suppress good safety related information here.

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast
as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=193543#193543

Jeffrey Dill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words folks. In respect for Guy's ability to shut down a thread when he sees fit, I am going to start another. I see both sides of that issue. Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Kitfox on hard surface compared to grass Reply with quote

At 07:59 PM 7/17/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Mine could be fixed, or totaled; the wife votes for totaled. I will
be caught up in the consequences of this for some time. Wish me luck.

Jeff,
I'm sorry to hear about your adventure. I've been out of
town for a while but I see the good and able list members already
took care of changing the thread subject. I hope you'll get it back
into the air - tube and rag aircraft are very repairable. I saw your
later post and think your A&P is being too conservative. All he has
to do is make sure the thing's symmetric left/right and it will be
fine. Find another and get it fixed.
Guy Buchanan, Kitfox List Moderator
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: