Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATT. NICK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: ATT. NICK Reply with quote

Nick, I am trying to come up with a combination tie down point / jack pad. The access to the wing is thru the bell crank hole which is 98" from the fuse. I would expect to have 400 lbs. on the jack pad and was wondering if the spar would support that weight in that area. How do you now support the plane for service of a tire or gear ? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Tex
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: ATT. NICK Reply with quote

Hi Tex,
Let me jump in here and suggest that you will probably need to provide Nick one additional piece of info for him to be able to figure the actual forces you are talking about. That additional info is - how are you going to use the jack points? What I mean by that is will you only use one at a time to raise just one main wheel off the ground, or do you intend to pick up the complete airplane by using both wing jack points and a tail stand? If you are only gong to lift one main wheel and leave the other main wheel and the nose wheel on the ground than you don't have a 400 pound load near the area of the aileron bell chank.
So far I have seen no need for a jack point as there are two simple ways to pick up one wheel for maintenance. One way, just have someone get under one wing (on their hands and knees) out about mid span or more and push up under the spar. When they have the main gear up, place a padded crate (or saw horse -something to hold the wing up) so your buddy is not on his knees for too long a time. The other way, is to find a small scissor jack (like came with the older Corvettes) that will actually fit under the main gear leg bottom fitting and just jack up that wheel. I have also used a floor jack but sometimes I need to air the tire up a little to get the floor jack to fit under the lower gear leg fitting. I have used all of the above procedures on both Lightnings and Esquals with no problems.
But your idea of having a jack point in each wing will certainly come in handy when you are doing landing gear retract test. Wink
Blue Skies,
Buz

Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pequeajim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: ATT. NICK Reply with quote

Another way is to use a cheap ATV jack. They go down flat and lift fairly high. You can always put a box with padding on top of it to increase the height. I found one used for $35.00.

Here’s a link to what they look like.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

Jim!

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:55 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: ATT. NICK

Hi Tex,

Let me jump in here and suggest that you will probably need to provide Nick one additional piece of info for him to be able to figure the actual forces you are talking about. That additional info is - how are you going to use the jack points? What I mean by that is will you only use one at a time to raise just one main wheel off the ground, or do you intend to pick up the complete airplane by using both wing jack points and a tail stand? If you are only gong to lift one main wheel and leave the other main wheel and the nose wheel on the ground than you don't have a 400 pound load near the area of the aileron bell chank.

So far I have seen no need for a jack point as there are two simple ways to pick up one wheel for maintenance. One way, just have someone get under one wing (on their hands and knees) out about mid span or more and push up under the spar. When they have the main gear up, place a padded crate (or saw horse -something to hold the wing up) so your buddy is not on his knees for too long a time. The other way, is to find a small scissor jack (like came with the older Corvettes) that will actually fit under the main gear leg bottom fitting and just jack up that wheel. I have also used a floor jack but sometimes I need to air the tire up a little to get the floor jack to fit under the lower gear leg fitting. I have used all of the above procedures on both Lightnings and Esquals with no problems.

But your idea of having a jack point in each wing will certainly come in handy when you are doing landing gear retract test. Wink

Blue Skies,

Buz

Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker.com!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

mark(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: ATT. NICK Reply with quote

Tex,

In the shop we use the "handy jack" that can be found here: http://aviationtechproducts.com/html/products_pics.html#RVJACK. It uses a cable that wraps around the axel on the inboard side of the wheel. This device along with a floor jack works very well for us.

If we've needed to service the gear leg or axel then we've used Buz's method.

Hope this helps.

Mark
[quote] --

wb2ssj(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: att. Nick Reply with quote

Nick, the horn arrived just as I was carring the evevator out to the plane. Great timing.Thanks again for the fast service, see you all at osk. Tex
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: