Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generac test data..IE: Jimmys temps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Generac test data..IE: Jimmys temps Reply with quote

Jimmy, I am very glad you are progressing well with your Generac on the FS.
I want to call attention to one thing you mentioned in your first test data, about the oil temps. Particularly the part about the oil temps at 235 -250 on WOT climb needing "fixed". And your subsequent decision to bring them down.
If that Engine was a Honda V-twin, just for instance, and you were interested in obtaining an OEM account to be able to purchase them to install on ...lets say...you line of Water pumps...or "Jimmy's ditch Digger's" or any other machine that you intended to market. WE (at Honda) would not allow you to proceed (we wouldn't sell you engines) with oil temps below 212F at under normal operating conditions. I am reasonably certain that Generac states, as do most all manufacturers of Industrial V-twins, that the minimum oil temps should be 212F and the max around 275F. I am afraid that where ever you got the information you were to high , it is wrong.
You see due to the wet sump, atmospheric vented design of these engines, water vapor condenses in the crankcase during each "cool-down" period after an engine is run..even in Texas. With just a couple of "cool-downs" there will be enough water in the crankcase to begin to rust the oil pump, as it is submerged in the very bottom of the crankcase (lowest point). There is no place for water to collect as in a dry sump aircraft engine, other than right in the oil pump. Next place rust will develop, will be the lifters, cam lobes, the rings, and the cylinder sleeve, then the ball bearing on the PTo end of the crank (if it is so equipped). generally in that order. We in the engine industry have an awful lot of experience on this matter Jimmy, and I assure you, modern oil can take alot more that the 250 degrees you were having. The oil companies by the way give us the maximum limits, and we generally pad them buy 25 to 35% to give us a cushion. You see, since we PAY for warranties in our industry, we watch these thing very close. That Engine you are using will likely go to 2500 hours or more Jimmy if operated as the mfg recommends, and I assure you...it wont if you run it at 180F oil temps.

Jimmy I have been in this industry since before the V-twins were brought to market, and I have been with them every step of the way. It is known in some circles that I have promoted there use in flying machines, and I would take it personally if you bent your bird and maybe even hurt yourself and the engine got the blame, no matter what brand, due to somebody giving you bad info.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Generac test data..IE: Jimmys temps Reply with quote

Don,

Thanks for the tip, makes sense.

I put some foil tape over the oil cooler and now have the oil hitting
215-220 at full throttle.

Jimmy Y

FS II Generac
Houston TX

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Generac test data..IE: Jimmys temps Reply with quote

Perfect!.....

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: