Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning Kitplanes Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

All,

I have read the kitplanes article from the September 2008 issue. I haven't seen it on the shelves yet, but you can buy it pay per view here: http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/25_9/flight_reports/issues_flightreports_8344-1.phtml or if you're a geek like me you can get it now and then get the magazine when it comes out too! It is a great read that will show you some of the development of the safety, reliability, and feel.

The last one, although I have not gotten a chance to fly the latest verion of the Lightning is a big one. I loved the only slightly positive pitch stability of the original. I know that Buz and Nick felt the same way. This made it feel a lot more like an aerobatic sportplane or a fighter. The change in feel does make the plane much easier to fly, more forgiving, and eases the pilot workload. The new engine mount moves the CG forward, improves feel and safety, and in my opinion makes the plane look even better.

You'll notice that the guy who wrote the article had to get through to the current demonstrator in improvements before he liked the handling. Everything else he loved about the plane except pitch feel. I won't spoil the ending by telling you what he thought about the new changes, but I will say this: the guy was lucky enough to fly 3 Lightnings! I think he was just trying to get a little extra free stick time personally Wink Brian W.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
pequeajim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

I have mixed emotions about the article. I tend to not enjoy articles as
much when the author has multiple opinions throughout. I also think he
should have done his review based on the current production model. If you
know you are going to write about the latest version, why comment in detail
about the older one?

I'll leave that where it lies and then add some additional thoughts later.
I don't want to ruin it for anyone either...

Jim!

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

Jim C
  Similar feelings here C but still an interesting read and great publicity.  Loved the pictures too!  I used to live out by that lake they're flying over.  Everytime that we got ready to shoot air to air that's where we went.  Brian W.

[quote] From: pequeajim(at)gmail.com
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Lightning Kitplanes Article
Date: Tue C 29 Jul 2008 19:18:50 -0400

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Jim Langley" <pequeajim(at)gmail.com>

I have mixed emotions about the article. I tend to not enjoy articles as
much when the author has multiple opinions throughout. I also think he
should have done his review based on the current production model. If you
know you are going to write about the latest version C why comment in detail
about the older one?

I'll leave that where it lies and then add some additional thoughts later.
I don't want to ruin it for anyone either...

Jim!

--

Clive J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

How about a scan and E mail out a pdf for those of us that don't get the
mag across the pond...?

--

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

I think that it would raise legal issues to copy a current magazine article for mass distribution when Kitplanes is trying to sale it.  You can always go to that link that I sent out though and buy a .PDF version even if you are overseas.  Brian W.

[quote] Subject: RE: Lightning-List: Lightning Kitplanes Article
Date: Wed C 30 Jul 2008 10:45:30 +0100
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "James C Clive R" <clive.james(at)uk.bp.com>

How about a scan and E mail out a pdf for those of us that don't get the
mag across the pond...?

--

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Lightning Kitplanes Article Reply with quote

Having read both the draft article and now the final as it is published in the magazine, I think overall it is an overall good write up. However, without getting into a long discussion in this email, the writer, a good guy that has a great background in aviation, still thinks that the main reason the latest demo shows positive stability is the CG. Even though both Nick and I spend hours telling him why the previous bungee trim system was what made the original Lightning (and Esqual) fly like they were neutral to slightly unstabel in pitch, he still thinks it was a CG issue. Note, the three Lightnings he flew were within a "hair" of being at exactly at the same CG. I may get into a longer explanation in a future newsletter, but for now, just let me say that the new trim system is what made the difference and I highly recommend that flying Lightnings upgrade to that system.

As an Oshkosh update, we have four Lightnings here - the factory demo, Tom and Al's Wisconsin demo, Buddy's Green Landings Special that Ryan brought up, and once again Bill Hubbard's "jet". Remember, Bill was the first to fly a customer completed Lightning to OSH last year. This Friday will be the Lightning forum and then the Lightning get together at their booth after the forum.

Blue Skies,
Buz

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: